I5 4670, I7 4770 or AMD 8350 for Audio recording and gaming?

Fisheth

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
Hey there, I'm looking at building a new PC whilst salvaging bits of my old one, I have 8 GB of Crucial Ram and a Radeon 6850 and this is the parts list I've put together so far (Already have a cooler)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Livingonadreamvf%40gmail.com/saved/2jwK

I am planning on using Reaper and/Or Mixcraft to record, I use a variety from live instruments with double and sometimes Quad tracking depending on the part, but I'm also planning on using various string VST's and various DI'd instruments (bass for now)

So I was wondering which one of the three would be the best processor for me, the only reason why I've asked about the AMD processor is because I already have an AMD build right now with a board that can update from the bios to support the processor, so I was curious as if it was pretty good as apparently it's good for Multi threaded tasks, but is audio recording a multi threaded task? I know Reaper has Multi-Core support but that's why I'm asking you guys, the knowledgeable for info.

What do you think guys? Am I barking up the wrong tree with the i7 or one of the others be fine?

I'm planning on playing games like Battlefield 3 (probably 4 too), Star Wars Battlefront 3 (when that releases) but mainly I play older shooters like Doom 1 and 2, Quake, Unreal Tournament and so on, so on the gaming side I think I have it covered, but thought I'd ask anyway!

Thanks guys.

8350rocks

Distinguished

The 8350 would be fine for your media uses...better than the i5 and just about i7 performance for almost half the money.

I used to record quite a bit...and I know you'll have lots of tasks running while you're mixing, etc. So the 8350 is likely a good fit.

Also, for the gaming front, you should be fine with the 8350 for all the ones you mentioned.

Fisheth

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
That's pretty interesting to read that, from what I was reading the general consensus was that the 8350 wasn't as good as the i5, nor the i7.

Though the Tek Syndicate guys did an interesting video in which the benchmarks were equal to an i5 (I think it was, can't remember 100% though!)

Fisheth

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

That's pretty interesting to read that, from what I was reading the general consensus was that the 8350 wasn't as good as the i5, nor the i7.

Though the Tek Syndicate guys did an interesting video in which the benchmarks were equal to an i5 (I think it was, can't remember 100% though!)

If the socket is AM3+ then you can go with the 8350 and that CPU should be ok to do gaming and audio work. If your going with the Intel i7 then I would get the i7-4770k model , there isn't much price difference and it gives you the ability to overclock and for resale it's a plus to have the K model.

Some things to consider:

In multithreaded games and apps that can use the extra cores the FX 8350 will do great. But if your software only uses 1-4 cores the i5 will be a better choice.

For gaming, most titles use 2-4 cores effectively, but more and more are using 6-8. This trend will continue to build momentum until it becomes the norm. But even when only using 2-4 cores, the 8350 is on par with the i5 and i7 and will be very close in gaming performance.

Unless your software benefits from Hyper Threading, the i7 would be a waste.

My recommendation is to decide between the i5 and FX 8350.

Fisheth

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

Unfortunately there's a bit of a price difference between the two i7 models for me at the moment, I know it's the best part of £15.00 with me being unemployed and out of education because of health reasons and currently not getting any state benefits, my parents have very kindly offered to pay for it. So I'd rather it be lesser rather than more if you get my meaning. But if the performance difference is worth it however... If it's negligible, then it might be a good idea to stay on the AM3+ socket. Even though that means flashing the Bios (heard that might break my system) and I need to upgrade from a cheap Chinese PSU (I know could kill my PC) to a decent one. But like I say if the performance is worth it, I'm a massive work aholic and I don't really want my stuff encoding when I could be recording something else, haha.

Fisheth

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

Fair enough, yeah that would be cheaper on my part. I'm not too sure if any of my software uses Hyperthreading, how would I know?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Done:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1zDZI
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1zDZI/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1zDZI/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£143.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£37.64 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.20 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£169.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Cooler Master Force 500 ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.87 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Ebuyer)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£12.94 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £575.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-03 22:20 BST+0100)

Obviously, anything you can reuse would be substituted in, but that's a complete PC for 575 GBP.

8350rocks

Distinguished
If your RAM is DDR3 sure, as well as the cooler and optical drive. If it was me, I would do a new MB and GPU. If not the MB, then the GPU. That 7870XT is a monster for the money...and it's an absolute steal at that price...(unless you already have better...)

Would look like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1zE9K
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1zE9K/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1zE9K/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£143.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.20 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£169.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Cooler Master Force 500 ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.87 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £502.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-03 22:27 BST+0100)

Fisheth

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
I've got 10gb DDR3 1600, aswell as the same motherboard as suggested on it. But I've got a 6850, so I don't know if it's better, probably not though!

Edit: Actually I don't it's the Asus M5A-78L M I have, but it'll work with the 8 core processor right?

8350rocks

Distinguished
Then yes, port over your MB and RAM...I would get the HD 7870XT though...it will be noticeably more potent than your current 6850. though that shaves another 60 GBP off the build completely by just updating the BIOS on your MB. If you have the M5A97 R2.0 then the update should be easy enough for you. There are some guides about doing it out there.

8350rocks

Distinguished
No, Asus built that board to have the BIOS updated. Flashing BIOS is a different matter...but updating BIOS is something you should do anyway.

EDIT: Since you're going to a new HDD you'll be installing a new Windows Install, so you shouldn't have any issues with recognizing the new CPU either.

Fisheth

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
[
Sorry I'm confused! I'm a PC nooblet and I've just derailed my own thread! Brilliant, haha.

So all I need to do is plug my PC in and go with a new HDD and a new Win 7 install? Or do I still need to update Bios?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Update BIOS, then hook everything up, and do a fresh install of windows...

Fisheth

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

I didn't understand a lot of what you've just said, could you break it down in terms I can understand (I.E very basic. Really a n00b on this front)

Recording music is my primary concern to be honest, any gaming I do will be on the side as more as a hobby now.

It would depend on if your software uses more than the four cores of a quad core, Hyper threading makes four extra virtual cores for applications to use more than four cores.
One way to know is to see if there are any benchmarks showing a quad core using the software and a CPU with Hyper Threading using it and see if there is a faster completion time with the extra cores.

It looks good , but were you able to determine if the programs that your going to be using will work with more cores or will they just use the four cores of a quad core ?
You should try to find this out so that you can decide if you should go with something that has more cores like the i7-4770k with Hyper threading or the 8350 with 8 cores.
You'll have to ignore the fan boys on this and make your own research because you don't want to set up a computer that's not going to be right for what you want to do. You should also determine what the main function of the computer will be and what the secondary function will be so that you can focus on getting the main function covered.