Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I cant overclock my 3770k past 4.5Ghz on a custom water loop?

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • CPUs
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 3, 2013 10:11:04 PM

I have two radiators and my 360 rad is hooked up to my cpu. I can only overclock it to 4.5Ghz before it starts getting into the nearly 80c range. I've had this rig for about a year now and this is the first time im overclocking. What voltages should I use? I would really like to get to 4.7 or 4.8. Whenever I try to overclock past 4.5 my system crashes after running prime95 for about 30 seconds

More about : overclock 3770k past 5ghz custom water loop

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2013 10:21:26 PM

so it's a temp issue? if so, double check the contacts of your cooler.

if it's not a temp issue, im thinking that you have hit a wall maybe? or maybe it's your board that is limiting you
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 10:22:47 PM

Cons29 said:
so it's a temp issue? if so, double check the contacts of your cooler.

if it's not a temp issue, im thinking that you have hit a wall maybe? or maybe it's your board that is limiting you
I have the ASUS Sabertooth Z77

m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a c 198 à CPUs
September 3, 2013 10:34:22 PM

ivy bridge and haswell have the same basic thermal paste problem, so it might not be your loop... could be you've got a sizeable gap between the cpu heat spreader and the thermal paste.

this is why people delid their ivy bridge chips.
Share
a c 249 K Overclocking
a c 111 à CPUs
September 4, 2013 3:58:10 AM

UnexceptionalJew said:
I have two radiators and my 360 rad is hooked up to my cpu. I can only overclock it to 4.5Ghz before it starts getting into the nearly 80c range. I've had this rig for about a year now and this is the first time im overclocking. What voltages should I use? I would really like to get to 4.7 or 4.8. Whenever I try to overclock past 4.5 my system crashes after running prime95 for about 30 seconds


UnexceptionalJew said:
Cons29 said:
so it's a temp issue? if so, double check the contacts of your cooler.

if it's not a temp issue, im thinking that you have hit a wall maybe? or maybe it's your board that is limiting you
I have the ASUS Sabertooth Z77



It's definitely not the motherboard limiting you, that's the same M/B I'm running with my 3770K, so how about lets start with you listing the rest of your missing specs by exact brand and model number, just your, memory, GPU, power supply, will help greatly, plus the voltage you're using for the 4.5ghz clock?

m
0
l
a c 81 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2013 10:29:10 AM

If Prime95 is crashing, your voltage needs to be raised.
m
0
l
September 5, 2013 12:41:08 PM

From what it sounds like is that your waterblock isn't making full contact with the cpu.Make sure you CPU waterblock is correctly seated on the cpu. If the waterblock has tension screw make sure those are screw down all the way. If they doesn't work then try taking off the waterblock then cleaning both the cpu and waterblock then reapplying thermal paste then screw the waterblock back on.

What voltage are you running at?
m
0
l
!