Which is the best $350 & under GPU.

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • GPUs
  • Build
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2013 10:45:48 PM

Hey guys, so I am attempting to build a new gaming PC for myself. It will be used for sole purpose of gaming only. I am reading alot, and some people seem to suggest AMD cards. Atm I am looking at Gigabyte
GV-R795WF3-3GD (3GB). But my close friend seems to think Nvidia is better off. I have 2 main questions.

1) For $350 CAD, which is the best possible GPU i can get?
2) If I have an AMD processor, is it bad to get an Intel GPU? (And vice versa)

Also he suggested I could get 2 cheaper graphics card and use them at the same time since my motherboard has SLI support. Is this a good option or discard this for now? As well I will be overclocking my CPU and maybe using 2 monitors.

Please let me know :) !

THANKS!

More about : 350 gpu

a b 4 Gaming
September 3, 2013 10:58:59 PM

1. Depends if the program uses CUDA or OpenGL.
2. Really does not matter these days.

Now, first off, tell us your FULL build, including power supply EXACT model.
USUALLY its a bad idea to SLI/Xfire low-mid range GPUs.
m
l
September 3, 2013 11:06:40 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Just do the currency change to find the right price point for you.

As for SLI or Crossfire, until you get to the top end cards, its best to stick with 1 more powerful card than 2 weaker ones. One big advantage is not having to deal with compatibility issues, as some programs don't support or have weak support for multi-GPU setups.

AMD and nVidia are relatively equal at the many price points and its often a small advantage that gets one recommended over the other.

There was a rumor a while back that its best to go AMD CPU with AMD GPU and Intel CPU with nVidia GPU. In reality it does not matter, CPU's do not have brand preference. I'm running an Intel/AMD setup right now. If Intel were to do something that stupid, it would alienate a lot of AMD GPU fanboys and thats bad business.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

September 3, 2013 11:35:31 PM

I'd go with the Intel build with 2 changes. Since its a new build, I'd go with the i5-4670k and a Z87 1150 motherboard. Although Haswell isn't a big performance increase over Ivy Bridge, there is still an increase. Plus the Z87 has some added features. Doesn't hurt that 1150 should be good for a possible Broadwell upgrade should it be desired in the future.

As for the GPU, If you can afford it, get the 7950 Boost or a 7970.
a b 4 Gaming
September 3, 2013 11:35:37 PM

Between those 2 build the Intel is VASTLY superior. The 8350 compares to the 3570K/4670K.
Anyway.

What CAD do you use?
m
l
September 3, 2013 11:42:01 PM

Martell1977 said:
I'd go with the Intel build with 2 changes. Since its a new build, I'd go with the i5-4670k and a Z87 1150 motherboard. Although Haswell isn't a big performance increase over Ivy Bridge, there is still an increase. Plus the Z87 has some added features. Doesn't hurt that 1150 should be good for a possible Broadwell upgrade should it be desired in the future.

Even if I am looking to overclock my cpu?

Edit: And novuake, sry im completely new to this, what u mean by CAD lol
m
l
September 3, 2013 11:43:56 PM

spanishguy said:
Martell1977 said:

Even if I am looking to overclock my cpu?

Yeah, testing shows that Haswell at 4.5ghz and IB at 4.8ghz are about the same because of the performance increase of up to 10% for Haswell.

m
l
September 4, 2013 12:07:37 AM

Ok, guys. CAD = CAnadian Dollars. He said this is a gaming rig, not a drafting machine.

As far as the GPU goes, the 760 is the absolute best bang for your buck right now. No competition on that. The 7970 performs slightly better for $50-80 more and can easily be had for $350 CAD. My recommendation is that you grab a GTX 760 or the 7950 and save the extra for an additional card to SLI/CF when you can afford it. The 7970 is a great card as well, I have two of them, but I wouldn't recommend them as a new purchase at this point.

As far as running Nvidia with AMD or AMD/AMD, there's really no difference.

EDIT: As for the CPU, I would strongly recommend a 3570k/4670k over a 6300. If you cut your GPU budget back (and grab a 760, which is the best choice anyway) and sink the money into Intel, I can promise you won't regret it.

EDIT 2: You asked "even if I overclock my CPU?" The answer is yes. A heavily overclocked 6300 can't even dream of touching even a stock 4670k in gaming, only possibly in n-threaded render loads, which are completely irrelevant here.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2013 12:10:52 AM

Oh! LOL I though you meant you are getting an AutoCAD as well as gaming machine! My bad!

OK well as said above HD7950 if you want to overclock or GTX760 if you do not overclock.
The GTX760 is SLITHGLY better at stock, but the HD7950 get massive gains from mild OCing.
m
l
September 4, 2013 12:13:53 AM

Good points. I didn't know the 7950 had dropped so much in price, it's definitely a contender with the 760 at this point. And it's a great overclocker.
m
l
September 4, 2013 12:19:18 AM

Wow so many good answers :)  thanks! And yes, I will be overclocking. I don't know how to do it yet, since im pretty new to all these terms and stuff (learnt all yesterday lol), but There is just so much information on the internet, that it just makes everything easier to understand, and you guys have been the best source of info so far :) ! If you have any more suggestions, feel free to post. I enjoy learning anything possible, loving building a pc so far, so fun :) !
m
l
September 4, 2013 12:25:09 AM

spanishguy said:
Wow so many good answers :)  thanks! And yes, I will be overclocking. I don't know how to do it yet, since im pretty new to all these terms and stuff (learnt all yesterday lol), but There is just so much information on the internet, that it just makes everything easier to understand, and you guys have been the best source of info so far :) ! If you have any more suggestions, feel free to post. I enjoy learning anything possible, loving building a pc so far, so fun :) !

Something I just noticed on the build. I would change that power supply. The 80+ Bronze is good but I would get a more reputable brand like Corsair, Antec, OCZ. I haven't heard much good about CoolerMaster PSU's.

Getting a modular PSU is also nice as it makes cable management much easier.
m
l
September 4, 2013 12:31:30 AM

I think I want to overclock to 4.8, but I am probably also going to need a better CPU cooler as well right? Sorry guys so many questions, just like brand new to this 0.0

and btw, it says

"Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

I just bought the ram today, what do i do :( ?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2013 12:40:10 AM

spanishguy said:
I think I want to overclock to 4.8, but I am probably also going to need a better CPU cooler as well right? Sorry guys so many questions, just like brand new to this 0.0

and btw, it says

"Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

Return it! You DO NOT want to run 1.65v RAM on it.
VERY few 3570K CPUs reach 4.8GHz on mainstream cooling.

Although 4.4GHz is common on the EVO you chose.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2013 12:43:20 AM

Martell1977 said:
spanishguy said:

Something I just noticed on the build. I would change that power supply. The 80+ Bronze is good but I would get a more reputable brand like Corsair, Antec, OCZ. I haven't heard much good about CoolerMaster PSU's.

Getting a modular PSU is also nice as it makes cable management much easier.

While this is VERY true about the PSU, that unit is one of the few great units made by Coolermaster.
There are however better options in that price range, not that there is anything wrong with that PARTICULAR coolermaster.

This : http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-h...
m
l
September 4, 2013 12:45:43 AM

spanishguy said:

and btw, it says

Overclocking: Keep in mind that the clock rates you see online are what people have been able to get. Not every CPU is able to reach those rates stably. As for the cooler, I haven't done much OCing so I will let someone else answer that one.

RAM: I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you will be OCing anyways. Its just that Intel recommends the lower stock voltage.
m
l
September 4, 2013 12:46:24 AM

Novuake said:
spanishguy said:

and btw, it says

Return it! You DO NOT want to run 1.65v RAM on it.
VERY few 3570K CPUs reach 4.8GHz on mainstream cooling.

Although 4.4GHz is common on the EVO you chose.

Ahhhh damn, ok I am trying to cancel. It says it will take 2 hrs to cancel. I was able to cancel the power supply right away as there was none available. I find it funny how I read so much, and then last minute, the 2 pieces I have ordered so far I have to cancel, I thought I had careful research done on these lol
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2013 12:47:28 AM

Martell1977 said:

RAM: I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you will be OCing anyways. Its just that Intel recommends the lower stock voltage.

Yeah, I had an I3 die on me with 1.65v RAM installed. So he SHOULD worry about it.
m
l
September 4, 2013 12:48:08 AM

Martell1977 said:
spanishguy said:

and btw, it says

Overclocking: Keep in mind that the clock rates you see online are what people have been able to get. Not every CPU is able to reach those rates stably. As for the cooler, I haven't done much OCing so I will let someone else answer that one.

Ah, i already cancelled it lol (I think). They have to approve the cancellation though. But if it goes through and it is approved, would you pick another RAM or just buy the same one again? I think i might want to go with recommendations, so I might look for another

EDIT: Iam going to buy this corsair 600W powersupply. Apparantly it has 5 star review at $54...

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3...

Updated Intel build :)  : http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/spanishguy/saved/2jyw
m
l
September 4, 2013 12:52:27 AM

Yeah, get a 1.5v kit. I haven't had an issue in the past but no reason to risk it. G.Skill Ripjaws are another good brand to consider.

Edit: The new build looks pretty solid.
m
l
September 4, 2013 1:19:03 AM

Novuake said:

NO!!! You are swapping out a high amperage, decent quality PSU, for a low budget, well built PSU with low amperage.
The CX is a low cost unit that should NEVER be considered over that Coolermaster.

O man lol. Good thing I have not bought yet... I have a feeling this was going to happen. I'll look for something else I guess lol

Edit: The only other similar power supply is $60 more, from corsair =s. They both have around same reviews?

m
l
!