$1400 Intel/Radeon Gaming (and OC) PC. Future upgradable.

nmakes

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
I added an 850W PSU so that I can add another GPU in XFire without any hassles.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($204.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($147.88 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($353.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($197.64 @ TigerDirect)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1384.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-04 09:45 EDT-0400)

Solution
Buy this instead.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1zSDc

It has a faster CPU
A better CPU Cooler
A motherboard that's just as good, but comes at a lower price
It also has a SSD which will give your PC a significant boost in responsiveness compared to the Caviar Black.
There's a 2TB HDD for storage too, in case you need it.
The graphics card is clocked a bit lower, but you can overclock it just as easily.
The case included in the build is aimed at water cooling enthusiasts, so you've got enough room for a custom loop.
And last but not least, the power supply, while not as efficient is also a high quality unit that can easily handle two overclocked HD 7970's.
Your build is reasonable as it is.
But your future upgrade plan may not be.
AMD currently has issues with dual gpus. They are working on it, and have been for some time.
You are betting that they will be successful.
My current thinking is that a future upgrade to a single stronger card is the better plan.
Here is my canned rant on dual cards:
-----------------------------Start of rant----------------------------------------------------
Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX650/ti or 7770 can give you good performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX660 or 7850 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single gtx690 or 7990 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX660 needs a 430w psu, even a GTX780 only needs a 575w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.

Even the most power hungry GTX690 only needs 620w, or a 7990 needs 700w.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.
The Maxwell and amd 8000 series are due next year.
-------------------------------End of rant-----------------------------------------------------------

Nothing wrong with the corsair psu.
But, it is expensive and you will never recoup the price premium for gold rating in electricity savings.
Currently, Seasonic has some top quality units for less. Check them out.

With your budget, I would use a 120gb SSD, at least for the os and a few games. Better yet, 240gb and you may not need a hard drive at all. Samsung EVO would be my pick.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Buy this instead.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1zSDc

It has a faster CPU
A better CPU Cooler
A motherboard that's just as good, but comes at a lower price
It also has a SSD which will give your PC a significant boost in responsiveness compared to the Caviar Black.
There's a 2TB HDD for storage too, in case you need it.
The graphics card is clocked a bit lower, but you can overclock it just as easily.
The case included in the build is aimed at water cooling enthusiasts, so you've got enough room for a custom loop.
And last but not least, the power supply, while not as efficient is also a high quality unit that can easily handle two overclocked HD 7970's.

Solution