Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

windows setup cannot configure windows to run on this computers hardware

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 4, 2013 3:12:20 PM

cannot get windows 7 to install on my new WD 10ezrx 1TB hard drive. I am using factory created restore disk i got from Gateway. I have read this post from another thread http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753. It is set to ACHI in BIOS. Can corrupted disks cause this to happen?
a b $ Windows 7
September 4, 2013 3:50:04 PM

Potentially, yes. However, the hard drive you are installing to is an Advanced Format drive, which is mentioned in the link you provided. Do you know if your restore disk has Service Pack 1 on it?

Casey
September 5, 2013 8:33:08 AM

cklaubur said:
Potentially, yes. However, the hard drive you are installing to is an Advanced Format drive, which is mentioned in the link you provided. Do you know if your restore disk has Service Pack 1 on it?

Casey


Related resources
September 5, 2013 8:35:32 AM

thank you casey,
I called the mfg. of my restore disks and it does NOT come with SP1. I have downloaded the latest driver "f6flpy-x64.zip" onto a flash drivebut my recovery disks do not give me the "Load Driver" option, it only prompts me to insert the the system CD, recovery disk one, recovery disk two, system CD again, then the language CD then it finishes with no other options. How do i get the file from the flash drive to install since i don't have the load driver option?
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2013 1:02:19 PM

Richard Lask said:
thank you casey,
I called the mfg. of my restore disks and it does NOT come with SP1. I have downloaded the latest driver "f6flpy-x64.zip" onto a flash drivebut my recovery disks do not give me the "Load Driver" option, it only prompts me to insert the the system CD, recovery disk one, recovery disk two, system CD again, then the language CD then it finishes with no other options. How do i get the file from the flash drive to install since i don't have the load driver option?


What model of computer do you have?

It sounds like Gateway sent you a set of recovery discs that completely automate the recovery process, which would work just fine IF the computer was exactly the same as when it left the factory. Since the hard drive was changed, the automated process no longer works. I'm trying to see if there is a way to manually do this, but I need the model number so I can look up the owner's manual.

Casey
September 5, 2013 4:26:20 PM

11485598,0,68846 said:
11484081,0,1407986 said:
thank you casey,
I called the mfg. of my restore disks and it does NOT come with SP1. I have downloaded the latest driver
September 5, 2013 4:45:13 PM

It is a Gateway fx6840-03e desktop. The graphics card is a Radeon 7850 2gb. I just installed that too. Thank you Casey.
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2013 8:58:59 PM

Right now, it looks like your only option is going to be finding another copy of Windows that matches what you have for your computer (edition and 32 or 64 bit) and use the code on a sticker that should be attached to your computer. That should allow you to provide the updated driver you need.

I'll keep looking for any other possibilities.

Casey
September 5, 2013 9:35:37 PM

cklaubur said:
Right now, it looks like your only option is going to be finding another copy of Windows that matches what you have for your computer (edition and 32 or 64 bit) and use the code on a sticker that should be attached to your computer. That should allow you to provide the updated driver you need.

I'll keep looking for any other possibilities.

Casey


September 5, 2013 9:43:04 PM

Thank you Casey. One last thing. Do you think it would work if I just bought a brand new licenced windows 7 disk and will it have the sp1 on it?
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2013 9:53:03 PM

Any new Windows 7 disc you buy should have SP1 included with it. It should work.

Casey
September 7, 2013 1:22:21 PM

cklaubur said:
Any new Windows 7 disc you buy should have SP1 included with it. It should work.

Casey


September 7, 2013 1:25:17 PM

Hello again Casey i just wanted to tell you i was able to install windows using the IDE Setting in BIOS. ok...so if i do that my question is this. Can i create new restore disks after i install SP! and then use them again to install windows on the ACHI setting to take advantage of what it has to offer? What do you think?

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2013 4:53:25 PM
Share

Glad to hear you got Windows installed!

Depends on how you go about creating the recovery discs. If you use the tool Gateway provided, you will end up with the exact same discs as the ones they sent you. Personally, what I'd do is get the computer set up correctly, with SP1 and all the drivers installed (This Microsoft article explains how to switch to AHCI mode without reinstalling), and create a backup image. That will give you a recovery option that will have SP1 already set up in case you need to reinstall Windows.

Casey
!