7990 causes crashes (BSOD) when I start any game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffinfinity1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
I've been having problems with this build for quite some time and the latest so far is a sapphire Radeon HD 7990 graphics card that will not do whats it meant to do, play games.

Every time I start to launch a game my pc immediately crashes to a BSOD which I took a picture of.
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/ffinfinity1/20130828_202943_HDR.jpg

I tried testing it with my old system and no dice, it still did the exact same thing, I've used amd catalyst 13.4, I've tried 13.8 and still no luck. I had it replaced believe it or not and still nothing.

I even put in an old 5850 and it is still going hard with no problems in sight. The Games that crashed with the 7990 run perfectly with the 5850.

Am I missing something in the installation of this card because I can run my pc at 144hz with the 7990 and still watch hd movies but it crashes with any and all games. Is there some setting I'm forgetting to switch???.

Update: I've been able to play some games by lowering the resolution on my monitor from 144hz to 120hz, and be able to make the crossfire connection better by using RadeonPro. I would change the settings around but playing at 144hz still causes crashes except on older games. My performance i still an issue however. Such as in metro last light my PC will start to get 80fps and then cap at 20 even at lowest possible settings

System Specs:

Intel i5-3570k with a Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155
2tb Western Digital Black HDD
8 gb DDR3 Ram
Blu-Ray Drive
Rosewill 1300W

ffinfinity1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

It is a rosewill 13ooW, at first I had a corsair 1200w and it was the exact same problem. Yesterday I put in my 5850 and was able to play Mass Effect 3, Crysis 2, Metro Last Light, Battlefield 3, BFBC2, and a few others with no problems. For some reason that 7990 just doesn't want to cooperate in my system or any system I use it in...

ffinfinity1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I managed to get the games working by lowering my screens refresh rate to 120hz from 144hz. However my card is still running sluggish as hell and I'm not seeing its full potential. It may be a monitor problems perhaps with the cable yet it runs perfect with the 5850.

Yeah I know the corsair was better but I had no way of knowing if the psu was the problem or not and I already received two different versions. I like this however.

ffinfinity1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I use a Dual-Link cable that came with my 144hz ASUS VG248QE monitor. It does support HDMI connection but the 7990 however does not.

If your temps are too high, that will cause your GPUs to throttle down their speeds. The 7990 is a very sensitive piece of hardware that requires considerable airflow in your case to work properly. If your temps are normal, I would start to consider the possibility that you have a defective card.

The best utility is Afterburner. Just turn on the hardware monitor and see what your GPU temps and load are while gaming.

ffinfinity1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Is A dual link cable not good enough? I think I might have a dvi to hdmi adapter. My monitor didn't come with a dvi to hdmi adapter you think that is the problem??? I tried using a dvi to hdmi adapter connecting the dvi to the gpu and the other end of the hdmi to my monitor and it made the screen appear smaller with large black borders around the side. Not sure why it wouldn't work very well. I am now still using the dual link.

ffinfinity1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I was actually using RadeonPro and I could start to run games albeit at extremely high temperatures such as 86C...That is way to hot if you ask me. I have 2 fans running in the case and will add a third.

Crysis 2 ran at 60-120fps with RadeonPro but with the mentioned temperatures. I shouldnt have to use a separate program just to run this card...

ffinfinity1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Yeah I just noticed that and that is kinda ridiculous heats, I mean if it is "normal" it might be ok, I mean I can run Crysis 2 Ultra and it stays at and avg of 100fps and 86C not going up. Just saying I thought it would be lower.

That ( the screen ratio ) can be adjusted and is not unusual. I forgot if if was at the card ( Catalyst ? ) or the monitor. As the others have said, 86c is not overly warm for those things.

ffinfinity1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

ffinfinity1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I tried but nothing so far, I've still be using RadeonPro with moderate success. Can't seem to get Metro Last Light to give me more than 20fps even at lowest possible setting and resolution.

ffinfinity1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Hey thanks alot im getting solid 80-120fps playing this game at max. Yet a lot of games I'm still getting serious issues on. I tried GTA:SA and I can't use my mouse, I tried GTA4 and its going through alot of weird stuttering. Rage Is getting crashes here and there. Max Payne 3 is crashing my pc at start up :/ Any reasons for this problem or solutions to mitigate these issues?

Honestly If it weren't for the 8 free games I would have returned this headache long ago and went with dual 7970s or even maybe just gone nvidia...

GTA is apparently poorly coded and is probably DirectX 9, and Rage is an OpenGL game. So both are still subject to the frame pacing problem. Frame pacing was only fixed for DirectX 10 and 11, so anything else will only run like a single GPU card with stutters and poor performance to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.