Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

best graphics card for 1080p gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 4, 2013 5:48:20 PM

I'm planing on getting a new graphics card capable of maxing games like far cry 3 out at 60fps 1080p, my budget is $400.

Any suggestions?
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2013 5:53:27 PM

Either a HD 7970 GHz with a decent cooler, or a GTX 770. Which ever brand you prefer. :)  Idk about 60FPS consistently, but you'll get a 60FPS average with either card... I believe. On high and maybe ultra.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 89 U Graphics card
September 4, 2013 6:07:52 PM

a 7970 or 770 would be at the top end of your budget... but a 7950 at $180 is a good compromise or 2 at 360 would trounce both cards badly.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
a c 255 U Graphics card
September 4, 2013 6:32:01 PM

I vote for the GTX 770. It's more powerful than an HD 7970 and while AMD has fixed some of it's frame pacing issues in the latest drivers, I would still avoid 7xxx series Crossfire. A single more powerful card is always better than a multi card setup. No microstuttering to worry about and some games do not even support mutli GPUs.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 89 U Graphics card
September 4, 2013 6:45:41 PM

anort3 said:
I vote for the GTX 770. It's more powerful than an HD 7970 and while AMD has fixed some of it's frame pacing issues in the latest drivers, I would still avoid 7xxx series Crossfire. A single more powerful card is always better than a multi card setup. No microstuttering to worry about and some games do not even support mutli GPUs.


he's talking far cry 3 which certainly does support multiple gpus. furthermore, 2 7950s is so far beyond the power of a 770 it shouldn't even be in the same conversation (frankly, 2 7950s should beat up a titan pretty badly)

the reason i offered that suggestion is because neither the 7970 or 770 will max far cry 3 with full graphic goodness at 1080p and 60fps. because both of those top end $400 cards can't do it, i suggested a sub $400 option that could max it like the op asked. 2 7950s.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 255 U Graphics card
September 4, 2013 6:56:10 PM

You are aware of AMDs little frame pacing issues? 2 cards look great in FRAPS but in real performance are often worse than a single card. Did they finally mostly fix it after a year of knowing about it? Yes. But until they fix the hardware in the 8xxx series, 7xxx series Crossfire is not something I will recommend.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2013 7:37:01 PM

Well, I'm actually gonna go on a limb here and say you're both wrong. In fact, my earlier statement was wrong.

Wait for the HD 9950. It'll be more worth your money plus the awesome game bundle :)  or if you want you can jump on that GTX770 now, but I think we might see a price cut on Nvidia's GPU's coming soon... very soon. If you can wait.
m
0
l
September 4, 2013 8:16:45 PM

+1 on the GTX770 but i might be biased because i just bought one myself LOL. you are in the same boat i was in a few days ago. ultimately i went with nvidia from 2x r6850's for the features of nvidia cards like CPU boost 2.0 and dynamic fcync also i use photoshop alot and its said that it works better with nvidia CUDA.

my advice is choose the card you REALLY REALLY want and don't compromise or else you will always be wondering in the back of your mind if you should of got that "other one"
m
0
l
September 4, 2013 11:08:46 PM

I get 60fps all day with my i7-3770k OC to 4.2 and MSI GTX 760 OC TF on a 26" 1920x1200 Samsung SyncMaster. Why not buy that for $250 and spend the extra $150 on something else? Like take your GF out to a nice dinner and tell her its because you won't be seeing much of each other now that you are getting 60Fps all day with your new $250 graphics card.
m
0
l
September 4, 2013 11:10:29 PM

BTW it is run at max on all games including Bioshock Infinite, COD: BO2, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored...
m
0
l
September 5, 2013 1:03:16 AM

ingtar33 said:
a 7970 or 770 would be at the top end of your budget... but a 7950 at $180 is a good compromise or 2 at 360 would trounce both cards badly.
sound cool but where can I find the card for $180? The least I see is $215

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 89 U Graphics card
September 6, 2013 2:58:56 PM

Insane121 said:
ingtar33 said:
a 7970 or 770 would be at the top end of your budget... but a 7950 at $180 is a good compromise or 2 at 360 would trounce both cards badly.
sound cool but where can I find the card for $180? The least I see is $215



215 is a good price too. there was a sale this past week with msi 7950s for 180... pretty nuts really. Wait a few weeks and 180 will be the new low end price for those monsters. Happened to the 7770, got mine on sale for 84, 4 weeks later $80 was the new "standard" low price for the 7770
m
0
l
September 6, 2013 11:32:12 PM

bigbeef2604 said:
Insane121 said:
ingtar33 said:
a 7970 or 770 would be at the top end of your budget... but a 7950 at $180 is a good compromise or 2 at 360 would trounce both cards badly.
sound cool but where can I find the card for $180? The least I see is $215



215 is a good price too. there was a sale this past week with msi 7950s for 180... pretty nuts really. Wait a few weeks and 180 will be the new low end price for those monsters. Happened to the 7770, got mine on sale for 84, 4 weeks later $80 was the new "standard" low price for the 7770

Found it, though I Don't play though I don't play the rebate game this is a good price, and good performance, even more so in crossfire. Thanks.
m
0
l
September 6, 2013 11:33:16 PM

I know ALL about the micro stuttering and the RECENT DRIVERS that fixed it mostly to the point where its barely noticeable if you on high res. And I'm on 1080p this is nice performance and good price if you support crossfire (which my rig can)
m
0
l
!