Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Custom Gaming PC :: $600 Budget

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 4, 2013 7:51:30 PM

Hey there, I wanted to get a new PC, but I have no idea how computers work and whatnot. I really don't need the best on the block, something that can run League of Legends at 60 fps at all times. Please help me out! Thanks!
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2013 8:02:25 PM

Here's my recommendation :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1A7fc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1A7fc/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1A7fc/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.88 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $593.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-04 23:02 EDT-0400)
Related resources
September 4, 2013 8:09:02 PM

When you build your PC don't get an APU. I made this mistake when I built my PC. The latest APU (the A10) can play any game around today, but there is no upgradability (it's the best in it's socket (sockets are what you put processors into, there are many different kinds)). If you were to suddenly want to upgrade from an APU, you would have to buy a new motherboard. Another bad thing about the A10 is that it only has two physical cores (Yes, it says 4 cores, but the other two are threads which are artificial cores and are not physically on the chip (they are slower)). What you should do is get an FX8120 (or better) which has 8 cores (4 physical, 4 threads) and is for an AM3+ motherboard (future proof), also the same price as an A10.
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2013 8:09:47 PM

scrambl3r said:
Hey there, I wanted to get a new PC, but I have no idea how computers work and whatnot. I really don't need the best on the block, something that can run League of Legends at 60 fps at all times. Please help me out! Thanks!


are you looking to build your own PC or were you looking for a prebuilt PC?
September 4, 2013 8:25:11 PM

Russel Johnson said:
When you build your PC don't get an APU. I made this mistake when I built my PC. The latest APU (the A10) can play any game around today, but there is no upgradability (it's the best in it's socket (sockets are what you put processors into, there are many different kinds)). If you were to suddenly want to upgrade from an APU, you would have to buy a new motherboard. Another bad thing about the A10 is that it only has two physical cores (Yes, it says 4 cores, but the other two are threads which are artificial cores and are not physically on the chip (they are slower)). What you should do is get an FX8120 (or better) which has 8 cores (4 physical, 4 threads) and is for an AM3+ motherboard (future proof), also the same price as an A10.


-The APU has 4 cores. No debate. It does.
-All cores are usable and physically on the chip. (LOL What are you talking about?)
-You can add any GPU to an APU motherboard easily.
-The FX-8120 is a terrible CPU. Period.
-

a b 4 Gaming
September 5, 2013 7:59:03 AM

CaptainTom said:
11481666,0,1310894 said:


-The FX-8120 is a terrible CPU. Period.
said:


What is your reason for this statement?
a b 4 Gaming
September 5, 2013 8:11:23 AM

Because you can get the FX-8320 for the exact same price.
a b 4 Gaming
September 5, 2013 10:34:31 AM

Seladon said:
Because you can get the FX-8320 for the exact same price.


price differece does not make a CPU terrible, maybe not a good value but not terrible...i highly doubt the price difference is what he was referring to.
September 5, 2013 1:48:45 PM

seller417 said:
Seladon said:
Because you can get the FX-8320 for the exact same price.


price differece does not make a CPU terrible, maybe not a good value but not terrible...i highly doubt the price difference is what he was referring to.


Crysis 3 is the best threaded game I have ever seen, and yet in benchmarks the 8-core FX-8150 lost to a 6-core FX-6300 and a 4-core i5-2500 (While consuming A LOT more power). Then when you take into account that games that only support 2-4 threads cause the i3 to destroy the 8150 it just becomes pathetic. Piledriver (FX-8350) is respectable and a great value series, but Bulldozer really does deserve the term "Faildozer."
a b 4 Gaming
September 5, 2013 3:25:15 PM

CaptainTom said:
seller417 said:
Seladon said:
Because you can get the FX-8320 for the exact same price.


price differece does not make a CPU terrible, maybe not a good value but not terrible...i highly doubt the price difference is what he was referring to.


Crysis 3 is the best threaded game I have ever seen, and yet in benchmarks the 8-core FX-8150 lost to a 6-core FX-6300 and a 4-core i5-2500 (While consuming A LOT more power). Then when you take into account that games that only support 2-4 threads cause the i3 to destroy the 8150 it just becomes pathetic. Piledriver (FX-8350) is respectable and a great value series, but Bulldozer really does deserve the term "Faildozer."


thanks :) 

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
September 5, 2013 3:42:41 PM
Share

Get this build, so far best build on here for the price:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($78.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $619.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-05 18:44 EDT-0400)
!