Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

moving windows to a small 60gb SSD, will this work?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 5, 2013 10:02:13 AM

so i'm trying to move my windows to a small 60gb SSD i got, but sadly i didnt anticipate doing this when i was installing all my stuff, so this is what i did:

i have a 1tb hard drive split down the middle (or about)
on my C: i installed windows along with everything else, games, programs, etc.
on my D: i left for files, music, pictures.

current state:
C: is 500gb in size, with about 200gb used.
D: is 500gb in size, with about 100gb used.

i'm trying to move windows over to the new 55gb SSD, without all the clutter, hopefully the end result will be:
B (SSD): with windows
C: with the programs
D: with the files

i'm using SymMover, which apperantly moves files without altering the registry for them... (http://mobasoftware.com/symmover.php)

i'm moving everything from C: to D: until C: is 50gb or less, then i'll use one of those softwares that clones/moves a drive to another partition, then boot up with the windows disc, "repair" and done, windows will boot into the SSD without destroying my settings/programs.

will this work?
or should i just bite the bullet and install fresh on the SSD?
a c 518 $ Windows 7
September 5, 2013 10:06:55 AM

Quote:
or should i just bite the bullet and install fresh on the SSD?


That is what *I* would do. Guaranteed to work, and you're not bringing along of old cruft into the new speedy drive.
But a 60GB is right on the edge of being too small.
m
0
l
a c 518 $ Windows 7
September 5, 2013 10:07:59 AM

Also, having your boot drive as "B" will work, but some applications have a hard time with it being something other than C.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 5, 2013 10:23:48 AM

The most reliable method will be to install windows fresh on the new SSD. 60gb is a little tight but you should be able to do it. You can reduce your pagefile size (or point the pagefile to the non-ssd HDD) to reclaim a little extra disk space if needed. You may run into some storage constraints at some point however.
m
0
l
September 5, 2013 10:42:38 AM

USAFRet said:
Also, having your boot drive as "B" will work, but some applications have a hard time with it being something other than C.

yeah i think i'm going to just fresh install it... i dont know how to change the letters on an existing drive though
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 518 $ Windows 7
September 5, 2013 10:45:26 AM

Rhavi Marques said:
USAFRet said:
Also, having your boot drive as "B" will work, but some applications have a hard time with it being something other than C.

yeah i think i'm going to just fresh install it... i dont know how to change the letters on an existing drive though


You won't have to.

Disconnect all other drives
Do the install on the SSD
Verify everything works
Remove the one that used to be C from the boot order, and the SSD is first in boot order.
Plug the other drives back in
Start it up
What used to be "C" will now be something else. The SSD will be C.
Share
September 5, 2013 10:46:52 AM

USAFRet said:
Rhavi Marques said:
USAFRet said:
Also, having your boot drive as "B" will work, but some applications have a hard time with it being something other than C.

yeah i think i'm going to just fresh install it... i dont know how to change the letters on an existing drive though


You won't have to.

Disconnect all other drives
Do the install on the SSD
Verify everything works
Remove the one that used to be C from the boot order, and the SSD is first in boot order.
Plug the other drives back in
Start it up
What used to be "C" will now be something else. The SSD will be C.


you're right, simple enough, off to do it.
m
0
l
September 5, 2013 10:54:10 AM

is there anything that MUST be installed on the boot disc? if i install drivers n such on the HDD will that screw things up?
m
0
l
a c 518 $ Windows 7
September 5, 2013 11:03:57 AM

Let the drivers install where they want. They are tiny by comparison.
m
0
l
September 5, 2013 11:08:44 AM

nvidia drivers are like 200mb each update >.> do they overwrite eachother?
m
0
l
September 5, 2013 11:13:58 AM

ok, first problem, i unplugged the HDD, left the SSD, installed, ok, now i plugged it back in, and when i go to boot options on my BIOS, WITHOUT the HDD, it states my SSD as first boot, but when i plug in the HDD, the HDD gets first boot and the SSD simply vanishes from the list... what now? swap the cables?
m
0
l
a c 518 $ Windows 7
September 5, 2013 11:18:17 AM

Rhavi Marques said:
ok, first problem, i unplugged the HDD, left the SSD, installed, ok, now i plugged it back in, and when i go to boot options on my BIOS, WITHOUT the HDD, it states my SSD as first boot, but when i plug in the HDD, the HDD gets first boot and the SSD simply vanishes from the list... what now? swap the cables?


Possibly. Put the SSD in SATA 0.
m
0
l
!