Is a HD 7750 worth it to play newer games?

Solution
Well, see. The thing about research is that if you don´t really know how to do it properly, or have the prerequisite knowledge, it is useless. I see how this might be offensive, so I will not say "no offence". I will however say this: My main intention is not to offend you.

Now, if you could tell us what you want and/or need, I for one, will be happy to help you.

SC2 and Diablo III is not the most demanding, hardware-wise, but I am going to assume that you want to play these games because you enjoyed SC and Diablo 2 when you were younger.

As did I. Thing is, there will be other games like these you are going to want to play. With your budget, and since you are able to start a thread on this forum, you do meet the...

vietguy357

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
It really depends on what resolution you plan to play at? If 1080p then it should be able to run most games fine on high setting but some games such as Metro, BF4, and Crysis you would have to run at lower graphic setting. As for SC2 and Diable III, I would say you can run it on 1080p on probably medium settings. If you are planning to get the 7750 then why not get the 7770? It's the same price and it's clock 300Mhz high and has more stream processors and you could get some pretty nice overclocks from the 7770.

What resolution? Worth it compared to what?
I don't have one now, because I installed my HD7750 into my father's PC, specifically so I could play games like GW2 when I visit my parents. His resolution is 1600x900. I can play GW2 on a mix of medium and high settings. I will likely buy another one shortly to put into a mini-ITX system I'm building. So for me, the answer is "Yes." If you get one, make sure it has GDDR5 rather than DDR3.

FyreFyter

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Resolution 1080p
The link to the Desktop:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gamer+Ultra+Desktop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/9177174.p;
and i will consider a 7770
and thanks for the answer i was surpised how fast it was
graphics setting of maybe high but i doubt it from what i seen but possible, medium though well be fine

vietguy357

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Even if he get this computer he could always just replace the graphic card down the road if he wants. I think it's a pretty good deal considering it comes with pretty much everything that he need to start playing games right away.

Bad deal, and here's why.
This is a Walmart-special, Cyberpower PC. Those two companies BOTH sacrifice quality in favor of the lowest price possible. In this case, it means that the PSU will be the bare minimum size (probably 300W-350W max), not efficient, and probably the sort that dies for no apparent reason, taking other parts with it. It will NOT be strong enough for a graphics card upgrade.
The included HD7750 will almost certainly be a DDR3 version.
The machine has no USB3.0 ports. That means it's an ancient-tech motherboard, likely with a very slow Hypertransport buss compared to modern boards. Although the hard drive is supposedly SATA III, the board is probably limited to SATA II; that won't matter for a mechanical drive, but would if you ever wanted to install a SSD.

For $550, you can do better, even if you need to include the OS in that price.

If you upgraded the PSU (another ~$50-$75 to get something decent), you're still left with the slow, ancient-tech mobo. If you have even modest manual dexterity and eyesight, I believe you should consider building your own. Most parts only connect one way, so it's easier than a lot of people think it is. There are plenty of guides on YouTube (and elsewhere) on how to build a PC.

Just be aware that you will not be able to upgrade the GPU in the laptop. If you want better performance in the future, then you need to buy a new laptop. If you want it for mobility then fine. However, if you are getting a laptop and it's going to remain at home and it's going to be your primary gaming rig, then you are better off simply buying a desktop which can be upgraded in the future.

Just so that you are aware, the GT 740m is weaker compared to a desktop Radeon HD 7750. Laptop graphics is generally weaker than desktop graphics because they consume less power and generate more heat. But the GT 740m isn't too bad given that it is a mobile GPU.

Based on some benchmarks I have seen, it seems that the nVidia GT 750m close the performance of the Radeon HD 7750. However, the GT 750m is roughly 20% - 40% more powerful than the GT 740m depending on the game and resolution. So you can say that the GT 750m is roughly 30% more powerful than the GT 740m.

OJKD

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Well, see. The thing about research is that if you don´t really know how to do it properly, or have the prerequisite knowledge, it is useless. I see how this might be offensive, so I will not say "no offence". I will however say this: My main intention is not to offend you.

Now, if you could tell us what you want and/or need, I for one, will be happy to help you.

SC2 and Diablo III is not the most demanding, hardware-wise, but I am going to assume that you want to play these games because you enjoyed SC and Diablo 2 when you were younger.

As did I. Thing is, there will be other games like these you are going to want to play. With your budget, and since you are able to start a thread on this forum, you do meet the human-intelligence requirement for assembling your own computer. I strongly suggest that you do that.

Solution

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Couldn't agree more - this really is your best option.