Solved

upgrading cpu because bottleneck?? and fps drops help please!

Hey guys im new around here :P.. my question is : i want to upgrade my cpu to a Phenom II 1065T is that good or a bad idea cuz my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU.. the problem is that i have locked 30 fps on every game and it drops to 10 - 13 fps for 10 seconds and then its back at 30 fps and then after 20 sec again 10 - 13 fps and that again and again


MB: MSI 760GM-P23
GPU: HD 7870 DCII 2GB GDDR5
RAM: 8 GB 1333Mhz
CPU: FX 4100 @3.7Ghz
PSU:550 Watt HKC
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading cpu bottleneck fps drops
  1. What games are you playing, and definitely overclock that chip to 4.3-4.5Ghz.
  2. BeastLeeX said:
    What games are you playing, and definitely overclock that chip to 4.3-4.5Ghz.


    Such as GTA 4. battlefield 3. saints row 3/4 chivalry medieval warfare. metro 2033/last light. far cry 2/3 almost every shooter and open world games

    Is it worth it to upgrade?

    And what is the maximum overclock settings for 24/7 use? I have stock heatsink and cooler And 4 120mm coolers in the case for good airflow
  3. Your system should have no problem running those games. Are your settings too high? Have you tried lowering them to medium or low settings? I have a 1065T @ 3.7GHz and it can run those games on about medium settings (4850 CF) but the 1065T isn't an upgrade really. You can definitely push that chip to higher clocks.
  4. _zxzxzx_ said:
    Your system should have no problem running those games. Are your settings too high? Have you tried lowering them to medium or low settings? I have a 1065T @ 3.7GHz and it can run those games on about medium settings (4850 CF) but the 1065T isn't an upgrade really. You can definitely push that chip to higher clocks.


    When i lower the settings it still drops framerate for a couple of seconds in all my games. And i saw on some comparison sites and reviews this 1065t is just faster and wont bottleneck my GPU
  5. GTA 4 is not getting better for any cpu, because the PC port is horrible, and badly optimized. I max out BF3 on my 960t at 3.7Ghz, along with my 7970 on 64 player servers, all day long, no stutters or frame drops. Also Metro is a heavy gpu based game, I don't see why the cpu would create a bottleneck. I also had no problems with Saints Row 3 on my 6870 back when I played it. Make sure your gpu drivers are up to date, AMD has a lot going on in that department right now. and the 4100 at 3.7Ghz should only be slightly worse then a Phenom II X4 at the same clocks, and most games don't utilize more then 2 cores still, so there is no point in buying a 6-core upgrade. I would also advise the 6300 over the 1065T. Much fresher chip, with numerous advantages.
  6. BeastLeeX said:
    GTA 4 is not getting better for any cpu, because the PC port is horrible, and badly optimized. I max out BF3 on my 960t at 3.7Ghz, along with my 7970 on 64 player servers, all day long, no stutters or frame drops. Also Metro is a heavy gpu based game, I don't see why the cpu would create a bottleneck. I also had no problems with Saints Row 3 on my 6870 back when I played it. Make sure your gpu drivers are up to date, AMD has a lot going on in that department right now. and the 4100 at 3.7Ghz should only be slightly worse then a Phenom II X4 at the same clocks, and most games don't utilize more then 2 cores still, so there is no point in buying a 6-core upgrade. I would also advise the 6300 over the 1065T. Much fresher chip, with numerous advantages.


    You helped me out a bit for cpu.
    But now i have still the problem with the fps drops... i dont know what it causes
  7. Best answer
    Go for the FX-6300. It's newer, and it'll serve you better in gaming plus it's unlocked so you'll have more ease in overclocking.
  8. _zxzxzx_ said:
    Go for the FX-6300. It's newer, and it'll serve you better in gaming plus it's unlocked so you'll have more ease in overclocking.


    Thanks buddy you helped me out! Thanks everyone! :D
  9. Thanks everyone for helping me out!

    One more question..

    Will the FX 6300 fix my fps drops??

    Cheers!
  10. it should, and if it doesnt, your problem is not your cpu.
  11. BeastLeeX said:
    it should, and if it doesnt, your problem is not your cpu.


    Thanks :D
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Bottleneck CPUs FPS AMD