1300$Canadian Gaming PC, First Time Build

TheMilkMan42

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2013
I'm looking to build my first PC, primarily for gaming (my laptop is more than adequate for web browsing, word processing etc.). I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to software/programming etc., but not so much when it comes to hardware. I have some friends who are more savvy than I am and have offered to help me with my build, but I happened upon this forum and was hoping you guys could help me get started off on the right foot :)

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next couple of weeks, though that isnt set in stone if there's something I should be waiting for.

Budget Range: I'm going to say roughly around 1300$Canadian after tax.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, web browsing, random day to day use.

Are you buying a monitor: No. I have a 21" or 22" monitor which is a few years old but will be fine for now, as well as a 42" 1080p flatscreen tv next to my desk that I could use while gaming.

Do you need to buy OS: I will likely need to buy a windows 7 license, yes.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: canadacomputers.com and tigerdirect.ca are two that I am somewhat familiar with and have stores that I can visit in person to save on shipping, but I'm willing to consider others.

Parts Preferences: I am not incredibly knowledgable when it comes to brands for most components (motherboard, power supply etc.), but I would prefer to go with an Nvidia graphics card over a Radeon.

Overclocking: I don't know enough about the difference in performance it would make for my build to say for sure right now.

SLI or Crossfire: I highly doubt that I will need to.

Your Monitor Resolution: Monitor: 1680x1050 Tv: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Not much really, I value function over strobe lights. In terms of software, I mainly just want to be able to play modern games at a decent graphics setting without having 0.2 FPS.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: For the past couple of years I've been using a laptop with a built-in graphics card as my only computer, which isn't exactly ideal for gaming.

Also, what other supplies might I need for the build? I'm probably going to see if I can pick up a cheap anti-static wristband out of paranoia, but aside from that I'm kindof unsure of what I need.

Thanks a bunch in advance to anyone who replies for your time and help.

mastrom101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.00 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($110.40 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($62.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.79 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1310.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-06 19:06 EDT-0400)

This build is very balanced and meet all of the needs you listed.

TRENDING THREADS