Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Processor Question

Tags:
  • Processors
  • AMD
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • Phenom
  • Configuration
  • Compatibility
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 6, 2013 5:36:49 PM

Ok, so I just got my AMD Phenom II x4 980 black edition in the mail yesterday. I am pretty sure it is compatible with my current configuration, but I would like to know if I need to reinstall my OS after I install my new CPU.

My current configuration:

Mobo: GA-MA-74GM-S2
CPU: AMD Athlon x4 640 (being replaced)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850
PSU: Cooler Master 460
RAM: Patriot G Series DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 4GB

More about : processor question

September 6, 2013 5:39:30 PM

a cpu upgrade may need a new motherboard bios but windows will be fine.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2013 5:44:09 PM

It should, but like the other poster has pointed out, it may require a BiOS update. It will not affect Windows. Only if you change Motherboards.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b À AMD
a c 235 à CPUs
a c 199 V Motherboard
September 6, 2013 5:46:11 PM

Hate to break it to you but that board does not support that CPU. It's better to research before you buy.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

This is the latest revision of the board v4.4. As you can tell it only supports 95w Phenom II chips. No 125w chips are supported.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...
Share
a b À AMD
a c 235 à CPUs
a c 199 V Motherboard
September 6, 2013 6:20:17 PM

Anonymous said:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
That motherboard if it's rev.2.0 or higher supports AMD Phenom II

arrpee


Your comprehension skills fail miserably. As I posted above it supports 95w Phenom II chips. OP bought a Phenom II 980. That would be a 125w chip. No revision of the board supports any 125w chips.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2013 6:29:23 PM

anort3 said:
Anonymous said:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
That motherboard if it's rev.2.0 or higher supports AMD Phenom II

arrpee


Your comprehension skills fail miserably. As I posted above it supports 95w Phenom II chips. OP bought a Phenom II 980. That would be a 125w chip. No revision of the board supports any 125w chips.


If it can support an AMD Phenom II X6 CPU,Max TDP: 125 W why not a 980. Anything past rev.4.0 supposedly will take the 6 core.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2013 6:30:56 PM

anort3 said:
Hate to break it to you but that board does not support that CPU. It's better to research before you buy.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

This is the latest revision of the board v4.4. As you can tell it only supports 95w Phenom II chips. No 125w chips are supported.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...


OOPs. I saw the Phenom II compatibility, but missed the TDP aspect.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 235 à CPUs
a c 199 V Motherboard
September 6, 2013 6:43:02 PM

Quote:
If it can support an AMD Phenom II X6 CPU,Max TDP: 125 W why not a 980. Anything past rev.4.0 supposedly will take the 6 core.


I even posted the CPU support list.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...

It supports the 95w Thubans.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2013 6:57:24 PM

anort3 said:
Quote:
If it can support an AMD Phenom II X6 CPU,Max TDP: 125 W why not a 980. Anything past rev.4.0 supposedly will take the 6 core.


I even posted the CPU support list.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...

It supports the 95w Thubans.


Just a quick question. How come it supports a 125w Athlon 64 FX-62 and other Athlon 64s, but not a Phenom II 125w? Makes no sense.I guess we can't make assumptions based on other CPUs. Also my comprehension skills don't really suck I was interrupted during my answer so posted after you posted without seeing your post.

arrpee
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 235 à CPUs
a c 199 V Motherboard
September 6, 2013 7:01:41 PM

You really have to look at the individual CPUs supported by AMD boards. People complain Intel changes sockets too much but at least it's easy to keep track of what is supported.
m
0
l
September 7, 2013 7:35:34 PM

anort3 said:
Anonymous said:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
That motherboard if it's rev.2.0 or higher supports AMD Phenom II

arrpee


Your comprehension skills fail miserably. As I posted above it supports 95w Phenom II chips. OP bought a Phenom II 980. That would be a 125w chip. No revision of the board supports any 125w chips.


But there are 125w chips on the list. The 980 isn't listed but the 975 is, and it IS a 125w CPU. Not sure how "strict" their cpu list or the BIOS is, but it will prob work. However, only way to tell for sure is test it. Of course you prob can't return it once you test it.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 235 à CPUs
a c 199 V Motherboard
September 7, 2013 7:46:40 PM

Look at the list carefully. Just because it's on the list does not make it supported. Hint, N/A is not a BIOS version ;) 
m
0
l
September 7, 2013 10:19:53 PM

anort3 said:
Look at the list carefully. Just because it's on the list does not make it supported. Hint, N/A is not a BIOS version ;) 


DOH.... Ooops, I'm an idot, sorry. I DID miss that....
m
0
l
September 7, 2013 10:30:25 PM

I did re examine the list again, and there are 3 Athlon 64 125w chips and 1 Phenom II x4 960 @ 125w chip on the list.... with the required BIOS ver.

So if that is correct, that board will run a 125w chip. I know some boards can't run the higher wattage chips because the VRMs can't supply the needed current. But there are 125w chips on the list.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 235 à CPUs
a c 199 V Motherboard
September 8, 2013 1:13:39 AM

TheDraac said:
I did re examine the list again, and there are 3 Athlon 64 125w chips and 1 Phenom II x4 960 @ 125w chip on the list.... with the required BIOS ver.

So if that is correct, that board will run a 125w chip. I know some boards can't run the higher wattage chips because the VRMs can't supply the needed current. But there are 125w chips on the list.


Notice that there are 6 revisions of that motherboard and that CPU list is for the absolute latest ver. 4.4. So first off we are assuming he has that revision. Also the 960 is the only 125w processor that counts as the Athlon 64 chips are ancient 90nm process chips. If I had to guess the 960T is the only chip actually supported and the 960 is a misprint. The 960T is a Thuban core and 95w. It would be extremely odd if it actually supported a 125w Phenom II 960 and no other 125w 45nm models.
m
0
l
September 8, 2013 9:25:01 AM

anort3 said:
TheDraac said:
I did re examine the list again, and there are 3 Athlon 64 125w chips and 1 Phenom II x4 960 @ 125w chip on the list.... with the required BIOS ver.

So if that is correct, that board will run a 125w chip. I know some boards can't run the higher wattage chips because the VRMs can't supply the needed current. But there are 125w chips on the list.


Notice that there are 6 revisions of that motherboard and that CPU list is for the absolute latest ver. 4.4. So first off we are assuming he has that revision. Also the 960 is the only 125w processor that counts as the Athlon 64 chips are ancient 90nm process chips. If I had to guess the 960T is the only chip actually supported and the 960 is a misprint. The 960T is a Thuban core and 95w. It would be extremely odd if it actually supported a 125w Phenom II 960 and no other 125w 45nm models.


Yes the whole situation IS odd. As the CPU list back to the rev 2 MB show support for the 960. You think if it was a mis-print they would have caught it after 5 additional revisions.

Yes, if it were me, I would NOT have purchased the CPU he did, but.... and a big but, without a test based verification, it seems possible it might just work, just not probable.

As I said, the OP can just return it and get a refund if possible, OR, test it and see what happens. If he tests it, I hope he posts the results so everyone can know for sure.
m
0
l
!