Solved

Powering a GTX 770/760

Solved: Thanks guys! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a better power supply. I don't want this one messing up my system. Probably going to get the Corsair TX850 with a 770 GTX. That way if I ever find money for SLI I should be able to do it.


So here's my problem:

I have one of these:

Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply

and I'd like to buy a GTX 760 or 770 as an upgrade from the Galaxy 460 GTX I currently have installed.

Unfortunately I believe that both of those two cards require a 8 pin pci-e power connector which my power supply doesn't have.

Would it be safe to use a PCIe 6 Pin to 8 Pin Power Adapter Cable like the one linked here to convert one of those pcie 6 pins?

Would I have enough power?

Currently I have a hard drive (WD Green 1TB) and 8GBs of ram in there, along with a i5-2500k.

My motherboard is Sabertooth P67.

Also, could anyone tell me whether my CPU or motherboard (PCI-E 2.0 only) would bottleneck a 760 or 770GTX?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

Edit 1: Also. Just wondering if 760 is worthwhile upgrade over the 460.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about powering gtx 770 760
  1. I wouldn't trust your PSU for those cards. I don't think that it would be able to provide enough power, and it's not really the most reliable PSU. That's my personal thought here though.
    As for your CPU and motherboard, none of those will bottleneck any of those two cards.
  2. Best answer
    I'd get something different; those don't seem very good: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

    Tier 5; Replace ASAP. I'd replace it with a decent 500W+ unit from Tiers 1, 2, or 2b.

    Everything else is fine though
  3. I wouldn't trust that PSU, although it does have quite a large number of user reviews backing it.

    Anyway, take the safer route and get a better PSU.

    Eg: XFX 550W - $60 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RJ8EKI/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004RJ8EKI&linkCode=as2&tag=banforbucga08-20

    The 760 will be a significant upgrade over a 460. Go for it. Also, WD Green? Put an SSD on that thing.
  4. First off, you do not have enough power for a 770 on the 12v rail. The 770 has a requirement of 42 amps, you have 38 on the power supplies 12v rail.

    Second, a GTX 760 would work, it requires only 30 amps on the 12v rail, your power supply has 38. The 760 also requires two 6 pin power cables, which you should have.

    Ultra power supplies are not very good, you'd be best to upgrade to a better quality unit as well with the graphics card.

    I would suggest this if you want a single 770:

    SeaSonic SSR-650RM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118
  5. I would have recommended this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

    Lots cheaper, still a very good SeaSonic-built PSU. Gold isn't worth it currently.

    I wouldn't run even a 760 on it.
  6. Zero_ said:
    I wouldn't trust that PSU, although it does have quite a large number of user reviews backing it.

    Anyway, take the safer route and get a better PSU.

    Eg: XFX 550W - $60 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RJ8EKI/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004RJ8EKI&linkCode=as2&tag=banforbucga08-20

    The 760 will be a significant upgrade over a 460. Go for it. Also, WD Green? Put an SSD on that thing.


    That's sound advice! I actually did already order a Samsung 840 for it, I just haven't put it in yet. =P
  7. Someone Somewhere said:
    I'd get something different; those don't seem very good: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

    Tier 5; Replace ASAP. I'd replace it with a decent 500W+ unit from Tiers 1, 2, or 2b.

    Everything else is fine though


    Thanks! The list is really helpful. =D
  8. Ultra's PSU quality is all over the place....from a 9 w/ 1st 2 models to a 5 with 2nd

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=29
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=41
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=174

    id do some research on your particular model before going further
  9. Seladon-1370374 said:
    I wouldn't trust your PSU for those cards. I don't think that it would be able to provide enough power, and it's not really the most reliable PSU. That's my personal thought here though.
    As for your CPU and motherboard, none of those will bottleneck any of those two cards.


    Thanks! That's reassuring. At least I won't have to overhaul the entire system then. =]
  10. edogawa said:
    First off, you do not have enough power for a 770 on the 12v rail. The 770 has a requirement of 42 amps, you have 38 on the power supplies 12v rail.

    Second, a GTX 760 would work, it requires only 30 amps on the 12v rail, your power supply has 38. The 760 also requires two 6 pin power cables, which you should have.

    Ultra power supplies are not very good, you'd be best to upgrade to a better quality unit as well with the graphics card.

    I would suggest this if you want a single 770:

    SeaSonic SSR-650RM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118


    Thanks for the help! =D Now that I read into it the card I have seems quite sketchy. I will upgrade it per the advice here.
  11. Someone Somewhere said:
    I would have recommended this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

    Lots cheaper, still a very good SeaSonic-built PSU. Gold isn't worth it currently.

    I wouldn't run even a 760 on it.


    Anonymous said:
    Ultra's PSU quality is all over the place....from a 9 w/ 1st 2 models to a 5 with 2nd

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=29
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=41
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=174

    id do some research on your particular model before going further


    Thanks for the advice! I think I'll just replace it with a Corsair TX 850W. There's a sale going on at a store near me. It looks like I'll have to bite the bullet on this one.
  12. There's no need for a 850W PSU. If you want a single GPU, the XFX linked above is fine. If you want a second 770, one of these is enough: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg750m
  13. Someone Somewhere said:
    There's no need for a 850W PSU. If you want a single GPU, the XFX linked above is fine. If you want a second 770, one of these is enough: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg750m


    Corsair TX750 V2 Would something like this be good? I don't like dealing with mail in rebates and the antec one is only on sale with a mail in rebate.
  14. Missed the Canada part, but yes, that's good. NCIX has it slightly cheaper: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=58382&vpn=CP%2D9020042%2DNA&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1282
  15. Someone Somewhere said:
    Missed the Canada part, but yes, that's good. NCIX has it slightly cheaper: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=58382&vpn=CP%2D9020042%2DNA&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1282


    Great! Thanks very much. Yeah I did forget to write out the Canada part! D= That one's on me.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Western Digital Power Supplies Graphics