Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

i5 3570k OC?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2013 8:54:55 PM

Hey guys I plan on over clocking my i5 3570k tomorrow as I just overclocked my video card (7870 ghz) to about 1200mhz. I plan on overclocking this thing to just 4.0ghz and that's it. My question is, can somebody help me out by telling me what voltage to set it at, loadline calibration, offset voltage, etc... Any links, tips, or guides to overclocking a cpu would be very helpful. ( I have a z77 extreme 4 mobo if you were wondering) Thank you! :) 

More about : 3570k

a b à CPUs
September 8, 2013 9:02:51 PM

Well, every CPU is different. Some people can reach 4.2 without changing the voltage, but some people, including myself, have to up the voltage. I had to increase mine to 1.185V to keep stable. Which isn't great.

But anyways, FIRST of all, do you have a CPU cooler?
If yes, make sure to download prime95, which stresses the CPU, to see if the OC is stable.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2013 9:05:19 PM

John Bauer said:
Well, every CPU is different. Some people can reach 4.2 without changing the voltage, but some people, including myself, have to up the voltage. I had to increase mine to 1.185V to keep stable. Which isn't great.

But anyways, FIRST of all, do you have a CPU cooler?
If yes, make sure to download prime95, which stresses the CPU, to see if the OC is stable.


Yes I do have a cooler (hyper 212 evo) and i will also be adding prime95 to the list of things to download thanks!
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a c 75 à CPUs
September 8, 2013 9:06:18 PM

You should be able to do that slight overclock without changing the voltage. Just change the multiplier and that should do.
Share
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2013 9:10:57 PM

Seladon said:
You should be able to do that slight overclock without changing the voltage. Just change the multiplier and that should do.


He should also disable EVERY Intel service but power saver, and take voltage off of auto to manual.

I forgot to mention this
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2013 9:11:27 PM

Seladon said:
You should be able to do that slight overclock without changing the voltage. Just change the multiplier and that should do.


You think? I had a lot of people tell me what you said and a lot of people tell me otherwise not sure what to do...
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a c 75 à CPUs
September 8, 2013 9:13:24 PM

4.0 GHz is not a big overclock, on that CPU. Even if you got some bad luck with your CPU, you'll be able to get it easily.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2013 9:22:20 PM

Seladon said:
4.0 GHz is not a big overclock, on that CPU. Even if you got some bad luck with your CPU, you'll be able to get it easily.


Alright I will try to oc it to 4.0ghz tomorrow. If something goes wrong i'll just knock it back down to 3.5 and look up what to do with the voltages.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2013 10:53:19 PM

xTwitch said:
Seladon said:
4.0 GHz is not a big overclock, on that CPU. Even if you got some bad luck with your CPU, you'll be able to get it easily.


Alright I will try to oc it to 4.0ghz tomorrow. If something goes wrong i'll just knock it back down to 3.5 and look up what to do with the voltages.


4.0 is barely above Turbo speed of 3.8, so if you want to start somewhere, start at 3.8, then go to 4.0.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2013 3:04:15 PM

Alright I overclocked it to 4.2 ghz w/ offset voltage set at -65v. I am running prime95 (going on about an hour now), realtemp, and cpu z. Cpu z says the voltage is about 1.040 and does not go over that. The lowest temp on the cpu was about 28c and the highest was about 60c but avging everything out the lowest is 30c and the highest is 55c. I am not sure if this is good or not but any insight would be helpful indeed. :) 
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a c 75 à CPUs
September 9, 2013 3:05:49 PM

If the temperatures aren't going too high (which they aren't right now), and CPU z tells you that your CPU is at 4.2 GHz, it's a good sign. Let Prime95 run for about 12 hours though, just to make sure.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2013 3:26:03 PM

Alright Thanks I will let it run, but do you think the voltage is abnormal? I know the lower the better but is it ok to be at 1.040?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a c 75 à CPUs
September 9, 2013 3:26:43 PM

If it works, it is ok.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2013 3:33:24 PM

Alright thanks! Ill be back in some hours with updates :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2013 4:33:02 PM

Windows just crashed... I am unsure of what to do now. My temps were fine nothing above 55c and I was running the highest test on prime95. Any suggestions?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a c 75 à CPUs
September 9, 2013 4:34:25 PM

You need to get the voltage a bit higher.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2013 4:38:19 PM

By how much?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a c 75 à CPUs
September 9, 2013 4:42:34 PM

Try getting it up very, very slightly, and if it isn't enough, get it up again, until you find the sweet spot.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2013 4:43:07 PM

Alright thanks!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2013 2:15:37 PM

I got the offset to +0.05v and set the turbo v to +0.04. I got a stable 4.2 overclock with 1.150v to 1.160v. I ran prime95 at max fft for 8 hours and the highest temp I got al around was 65c and the lowest 30c. Lets hope i can keep these good results!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2013 6:29:42 PM

xTwitch said:
I got the offset to +0.05v and set the turbo v to +0.04. I got a stable 4.2 overclock with 1.150v to 1.160v. I ran prime95 at max fft for 8 hours and the highest temp I got al around was 65c and the lowest 30c. Lets hope i can keep these good results!


Congrats to the overclockers club
m
0
l
!