$1500 Gaming Desktop Build

Roste

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
This will be pretty much my first time building a desktop, but I have a friend that can help me build it. He has already offered up some part suggestions, but I'd like to see what other people can make for the above price on the chance that it looks better. I've searched around myself, but unfortunately I am no longer as tech savvy as I once was. That said I have roughly a $1500 budget, give or take a hundred.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month
Budget: $1500-$1600:
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, movies
Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg, Amazon
Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia
Overclocking: Probably not

Additional Comments: I'd vastly prefer Intel over AMD, otherwise I am fairly flexible on parts. The case doesn't need to be anything fancy, but if its within budget, great. The two games I am playing the most currently are Rome 2 Total War and Star Wars the Old Republic.
Good Graphics card
Good Sound card
Normal CD/DVD
1 TB Hard Drive (No SSD stuff)

Thank you for all the help!

Solution
DO you need anything else such as Keyboard, Mouse, or Monitor. Also, unless you have a retail copy of your OS, then you will need one of those, so what is your preference, Windows 7 or Windows 8 ( if you are a gamer I would suggest Windows 7 ) ?

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013

Here is a great build. I included an SSD, but if you really don't want one then you can just remove it and keep the 1TB HDD. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1BKuR

Solution

Roste

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013

Keyboard, mouse, speakers, and antivirus are accounted for, everything else is fair game. As for OS, yeah Windows 7, forgot about that bit. I've heard quite a few horror stories about 8 and gaming that I don't want to deal with :p

Thanks for the builds so far guys!

jinayhvora

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-118BB DVD/CD Drive ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1453.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-09 09:49 EDT-0400)

Roste

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013

This is looking closest to what I am looking for so far. I've noticed that all of the builds have relatively the same CPU, but I prefer the GTX 770 over the Radeon and I really don't want to do a duel setup. I also noticed you all added an SSD heh, I guess it is possible to use both and from what I understand put the OS and most frequent games on the SSD and everything else on the HDD correct? I suppose an extra hundred for an SSD might not be a bad investment.

I'll take your guys word on the power supply and cooling needed for these particular specs as I have no idea myself. Lastly you all added 8 Gb of Ram. While I understand that its all that is needed right now, would future proofing to 16 be good to do especially since RAM is relatively cheap, or would you still stick with 8?

And actually on cases, I got a wide range of suggestions. CM seemed to be the most popular brand though and the cases do look pretty cool. Is there any one case you guys think would be best for the $100-150 range? My friend is suggesting a storm trooper, but there seem to be a lot of options.

Thanks again for all the help so far, definitely been a great help.

You can save a few bucks with this Optical drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289#top

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013

Your knowledge on the SSD/HDD is correct. I personally would go with 16GB of RAM as games are requiring recommended to have 8GB, and I like to have a bit more than the recommended specs, however it is not worth busting your budget to go up to 16. As with cases, I would go with whichever CM HAF line case you think looks the best and has the features you want. You literally cannot go wrong with any of them. My personal preference is the HAF XM although it is a bit on the larger side for a mid tower, it is the newest and has the best features, while not being the most expensive.

From what I've seen, 8Gb of RAM is usually plenty as you don't use all of it. Having said that, I did go from 8Gb to 16Gb. As for the case, I agree with the CM HAF series of cases. I am using a 912 HAF, but that is a matter of personal taste. HAF is an acronym for High AirFlow.