Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GTX 670 vs HD 7970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 9, 2013 6:21:30 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Danny111/saved/2lge

So this is my build (already have optical and storage and prices don't matter won't buy there it's just for easy overview of system), changed it ever so slightly but it got good comments in the systems forum. One thing I now am still not sure on is the GPU.

I thought about the 670 but then I read the HD 7970 might be better in particular if I'm thinking to OC (which I will try for both CPU and GPU). Going to list a few versions of each and the price:


  1. ASUS GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5 DirectCU II OC, GeForce GTX 670, 2GB GDDR5 - 292 Euro
  2. EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW, 2GB GDDR5 - 275
  3. EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW Signature 2, 2GB GDDR5 - 312

  4. Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970, 3GB GDDR5 - 300
  5. Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, 3GB GDDR5 - 330
  6. XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, Double Dissipation Edition, 3GB GDDR5 - 327
  7. XFX Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition Dual Fan, 3GB GDDR5 - 319
  8. MSI R7970 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC BE, Radeon HD 7970, 3GB GDDR5 - 330


  • Personally I tend to the 670 FTW as it is the cheapest there, has gotten great reviews with downside that it is louder than other 670s apparently (which would be fine for me, I am getting the Fractal Design Define R4 which is supposed to be good for noise). Compared to the FTW Sig 2, is the extra fan worth 37 euros?

    And the HD 7970 seems to be 45-60 Euros more expensive, I don't think it's worth it, right?


  • More about : gtx 670 7970

    September 9, 2013 6:30:21 AM

    Danny111 said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Danny111/saved/2lge

    So this is my build (already have optical and storage and prices don't matter won't buy there it's just for easy overview of system), changed it ever so slightly but it got good comments in the systems forum. One thing I now am still not sure on is the GPU.

    I thought about the 670 but then I read the HD 7970 might be better in particular if I'm thinking to OC (which I will try for both CPU and GPU). Going to list a few versions of each and the price:


    1. ASUS GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5 DirectCU II OC, GeForce GTX 670, 2GB GDDR5 - 292 Euro
    2. EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW, 2GB GDDR5 - 275
    3. EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW Signature 2, 2GB GDDR5 - 312

    4. Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970, 3GB GDDR5 - 300
    5. Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, 3GB GDDR5 - 330
    6. XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, Double Dissipation Edition, 3GB GDDR5 - 327
    7. XFX Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition Dual Fan, 3GB GDDR5 - 319
    8. MSI R7970 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC BE, Radeon HD 7970, 3GB GDDR5 - 330


  • Personally I tend to the 670 FTW as it is the cheapest there, has gotten great reviews with downside that it is louder than other 670s apparently (which would be fine for me, I am getting the Fractal Design Define R4 which is supposed to be good for noise). Compared to the FTW Sig 2, is the extra fan worth 37 euros?

    And the HD 7970 seems to be 45-60 Euros more expensive, I don't think it's worth it, right?




  • gtx 760 = 220 euros and the gtx 770 is 300.
    Recommending the gtx 770 and non of the suggested.

    7970 is not worth the money, got a 7950 overclocked it and owns that card hardcore and low temps.

    Convince yourself check the benchmarks of the 760 and the 770! forget the ones you chose.
    m
    0
    l
    September 9, 2013 6:40:51 AM

    DragonChase said:


    gtx 760 = 220 euros and the gtx 770 is 300.
    Recommending the gtx 770 and non of the suggested.

    7970 is not worth the money, got a 7950 overclocked it and owns that card hardcore and low temps.

    Convince yourself check the benchmarks of the 760 and the 770! forget the ones you chose.


    Don't know what you are talking about, the cheapest 770 I can find is 332... that's already 58 euros over the 670 FTW. Quite a bit imo and given I did initally want to stay under 300.

    Okay did some searching I could get

    MSI N770-2GD5/OC, 2GB DDR5 - 334. Is it really worth another 60 Euros?
    m
    0
    l
    Related resources
    September 9, 2013 7:11:35 AM

    geofelt said:
    For gaming, the graphics card is all important.
    I think I would go with current technology. They have better coolers, run quieter, and are stronger.
    For that reason, I would not pick GTX670 or 7970, as good as they were in their day.

    I would budget twice the cpu cost for a graphics card that is appropriate for your cpu.
    In that case, look at a GTX770 . I like the case. It will do well and be quiet if you Pick one with a blower style cooler. It will send the hot air directly out the back of the case.
    I particularly like those with the titan cooler like this:http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp43771k...

    If you budget will not support that pick, I understand. But if you are going to do this right, go ahead and and spend the money. I have rarely regretted paying more, but often regretted paying less.

    I like the corsair 750w psu. But a GTX770(or even a gtx780/titan) will run happily on a 600w psu.
    Check out Seasonic units which may be less expensive in your part of the world.


    I see. I went for the 750W because initially I had planned in time to SLI/Crossfire rather upgrade a top end single card. If in 2/3 years I want a new GPU, say buying a second 770 is going to be as good if not better than buying a more expensive higher end card of that era? Like spend say 400 on 770 now and 250 in 2 years then that SLI will be better than a 350 card bought in 2 years?


    EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked ACX Cooler, 2GB GDDR5 - 365 (Core: 1111MHz, Boost: 1163MHz)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked Titan Cooler, 2GB GDDR5 - 417 (Core: 1085MHz, Boost: 1137MHz)

    What's so good about the Titan Cooler that it merits 60 Euros more at lower MHz?
    or

    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC, 2GB GDDR5 - 364 (Core:1137MHz, Boost: 1189MHz)

    m
    0
    l
    September 9, 2013 7:22:48 AM

    SLI GTX770 will want 850W.
    As much as I like the titan cooler, you would do about as well with the stock card with a blower cooler.
    The stock GTX770 will still be faster than a superclocked GTX760.

    I do not like planning on sli if you can avoid it.
    Here is my canned rant on that:
    -----------------------------Start of rant----------------------------------------------------
    Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

    a) How good do you really need to be?
    A single GTX650/ti or 7770 can give you good performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

    A single GTX660 or 7850 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
    Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
    A single gtx690 or 7990 is about as good as it gets.

    Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
    Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

    b) The costs for a single card are lower.
    You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
    Even a ITX motherboard will do.

    Your psu costs are less.
    A GTX660 needs a 430w psu, even a GTX780 only needs a 575w psu.
    When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.

    Even the most power hungry GTX690 only needs 620w, or a 7990 needs 700w.

    Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
    That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
    You will also look at more noise.

    c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
    The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
    Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

    d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

    e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
    It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.
    The Maxwell and amd 8000 or 9000 series are due next year.
    -------------------------------End of rant-----------------------------------------------------------
    m
    0
    l
    September 9, 2013 7:58:19 AM

    geofelt said:
    SLI GTX770 will want 850W.
    As much as I like the titan cooler, you would do about as well with the stock card with a blower cooler.
    The stock GTX770 will still be faster than a superclocked GTX760.

    I do not like planning on sli if you can avoid it.
    Here is my canned rant on that:


    Interesting rant. Given that I can save on the PSU then, out of those 3 770 I posted, should I go for the cheapest one, or are either of the 2 more expensive ones really worth it? And a 650W is okay? The OCZ ZS-Series Power Supply 650 Watt is 20 Euros cheaper than the Corsair I had before.
    m
    0
    l

    Best solution

    September 9, 2013 8:06:34 AM

    I would think the cheapest GTX770. You will do very well on a single monitor.
    650W is more than enough. It needs only 575w, but I like a bit of overprovisioning.
    It gives you upgrade capability, and it will run with less fan speed.

    OCZ quality can be mixed, but OCZ ZS should be good.
    Here is a quality list:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
    Share
    September 9, 2013 8:20:40 AM

    geofelt said:
    I would think the cheapest GTX770. You will do very well on a single monitor.
    650W is more than enough. It needs only 575w, but I like a bit of overprovisioning.
    It gives you upgrade capability, and it will run with less fan speed.

    OCZ quality can be mixed, but OCZ ZS should be good.
    Here is a quality list:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx


    Thanks really helped me out!
    m
    0
    l
    !