7950 vs 9000 series for 720p gaming into the future

G

I have a 720p 32in TV that I intend to use as a gaming pc monitor. As far as I'm concerned it is good enough for me. My buddy has a 32in 1080p TV and I honestly can't tell the difference. I have every intention of using it till it dies, which (hopefully) won't be for at least 5 more years.

Onto the question at hand. I'm looking at buying some components for a gaming rig in the next two weeks. My processor is an i5-4570, no interest in overclocking. Everything else is set in stone, but I'm just not sure if I should hold off for AMD's 9000 series graphics cards or go for the Gigabyte 7950 I have picked out. So my question is: should I wait and see what 9000 brings or will the 7950 last me for the next several years? Its worth noting that I want to keep the price in the $250 area, but for the 9000 series I may stretch to $300. I've considered a gtx 760, but the price of the 7950 with the Never Settle bundle is just to sweet a deal for me to pass up.

Solution
At 720p a 7950 will last a good long time. If you really want to wait for amd's next line to come out go right ahead. But do keep in mind that there is always something getting better ready to come out. And $250 dollars will almost always get you further in six months than it will right now. So, you could end up waiting forever. :) Of course in this case the 9000 series is due out soon...so you may want to hold off.

Edit: heh...not much help am I? I would wait until Oct then get the best you can for your $250.

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
At 720p a 7950 will last a good long time. If you really want to wait for amd's next line to come out go right ahead. But do keep in mind that there is always something getting better ready to come out. And $250 dollars will almost always get you further in six months than it will right now. So, you could end up waiting forever. :) Of course in this case the 9000 series is due out soon...so you may want to hold off.

Edit: heh...not much help am I? I would wait until Oct then get the best you can for your $250.

Solution
G

You were a great help! I felt the same way but its always nice to hear a second opinion :)