Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Driver Crashes on Radeon HD 7870 Under Load

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 9, 2013 6:23:30 PM

Hi guys, looking for some input on a problem I am having:
When I put my Radeon HD 7870 under heavy stress (around 60 or 70% load and above), my display drivers immediately crash, the application causing the stress quits, and then the drivers recover. I have tried testing my system with my old Radeon HD 5850, which runs flawlessly. Of course, I tried fully re-installing my drivers (using driver sweeper and all that) with no change whatsoever. What I have noticed is that when I put the card under load, its sensors show weird fluctuations in the 12V power. Things like momentary drops to very low voltages, and sometimes even negative voltages. When the card is not under load the voltage stays rock solid. As far as I can measure with a multimeter, the 12v power stays rock solid no matter what. Unfortunately I cannot measure on the same rail as the card, however so I'm not sure if that is relevant. Anyways, I was wondering if the problem was most likely actually my power supply dying or if the sensor is just incorrect and the problem is in the card. Thanks for any input!
September 9, 2013 7:01:22 PM

mattenthehat said:
Hi guys, looking for some input on a problem I am having:
When I put my Radeon HD 7870 under heavy stress (around 60 or 70% load and above), my display drivers immediately crash, the application causing the stress quits, and then the drivers recover. I have tried testing my system with my old Radeon HD 5850, which runs flawlessly. Of course, I tried fully re-installing my drivers (using driver sweeper and all that) with no change whatsoever. What I have noticed is that when I put the card under load, its sensors show weird fluctuations in the 12V power. Things like momentary drops to very low voltages, and sometimes even negative voltages. When the card is not under load the voltage stays rock solid. As far as I can measure with a multimeter, the 12v power stays rock solid no matter what. Unfortunately I cannot measure on the same rail as the card, however so I'm not sure if that is relevant. Anyways, I was wondering if the problem was most likely actually my power supply dying or if the sensor is just incorrect and the problem is in the card. Thanks for any input!


did you have the latest driver from amd?what ur psu wattage?and do u overclock ur gpu?
m
0
l
September 9, 2013 8:27:49 PM

Also what make/model PSU do you have. It could be that the 7870 is pulling more of a load on the 12+ rail than your PSU can handle. If it is not a good make/model it may not even be able to handle the rated wattage.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 9, 2013 9:14:16 PM

This is my power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
As a 1000W it should have more than enough power for one measly GPU, but I know it isn't exactly the most respected brand so there is certainly a chance it can't handle it.
As for drivers, yes I've tried both the latest 13.5 Beta drivers (although now that I look I see that there are now 13.10 drivers) and the 13.4 drivers.
And as for overclocking, no, the GPU is not and has never been overclocked (although it is the Sapphire Gzh edition which comes factory overclocked to 1050Mhz).
m
0
l

Best solution

September 9, 2013 9:48:43 PM

Is there any chance you can try the card in another PC? If it still does it then you should return the card and get a new one if its still under warranty.
If you don't have another PC to try the card in then the only other option is to reinstall windows and try with a fresh install (a pain in the ass, yes i know).

I had this same problem with my HD7950, got it replaced no problems.
Share
September 9, 2013 9:54:37 PM

ShadyHamster said:
Is there any chance you can try the card in another PC? If it still does it then you should return the card and get a new one if its still under warranty.
If you don't have another PC to try the card in then the only other option is to reinstall windows and try with a fresh install (a pain in the ass, yes i know).

I had this same problem with my HD7950, got it replaced no problems.


Yup.try and return your 7870 and get a replacement.sounded like ur gpu is faulty.
m
0
l
September 9, 2013 10:27:23 PM

Thanks for the advice, you guys don't think the PSU is to blame? The card is still under warranty, so there shouldn't be a problem getting it replaced, I just don't want to waste my time and shipping money if that isn't the problem. I can ask a friend to test my card in his machine. Not sure how he will feel about reinstalling his drivers but I can ask. Thanks again for the help!
m
0
l
September 9, 2013 10:42:06 PM

mattenthehat said:
Thanks for the advice, you guys don't think the PSU is to blame? The card is still under warranty, so there shouldn't be a problem getting it replaced, I just don't want to waste my time and shipping money if that isn't the problem. I can ask a friend to test my card in his machine. Not sure how he will feel about reinstalling his drivers but I can ask. Thanks again for the help!


try and run it on your friend's first.see what's what.i doubt its your psu since ur old 5850 runs well.
m
0
l
September 10, 2013 1:55:47 AM

kookie3010 said:
mattenthehat said:
Thanks for the advice, you guys don't think the PSU is to blame? The card is still under warranty, so there shouldn't be a problem getting it replaced, I just don't want to waste my time and shipping money if that isn't the problem. I can ask a friend to test my card in his machine. Not sure how he will feel about reinstalling his drivers but I can ask. Thanks again for the help!


try and run it on your friend's first.see what's what.i doubt its your psu since ur old 5850 runs well.


true, but that card pulls a lot less power than the 7870. Since I only start getting problems around 60-70% load I was wondering if maybe that was the point where the 7870 starts to pull more power than the 5850. Anyways, I'll try to test it out and see what happens. Thanks again
m
0
l
!