Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SSD Cache dilema, cache ssd with storage ssd v cache ssd with O/S ssd

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 10, 2013 2:27:36 AM

I am putting together a high performance system:

Motherboard Sabertooth X79
Intel 4960X
64GB 1600 memory
EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB Factory Clocked

SSD1 - Samsung 840 Pro - 256GB Operating System
SSD2 - Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB Cache
SSD3 - Crucial M500 - 960GB Storage

My question is this; I have 3 SSD's... what 6GB SATA port configuration do I choose for best performance

I consider I have two configuration options;

256GB O/S to E1, 128GB cache to E2 and 960GB storage to SATA6G_1

OR

960GB storage to E1, 128GB cache to E2 and 256GB O/S to SATA6G_1

Which will give me the highest performance and why, cache ssd with storage ssd v cache ssd with O/S ssd

The answer I got from Asus was not what I expected and would love to hear your opinion on this please, thanks!

Keith


ps... one other thought... is there actually any significant benefit using a dedicated ssd cache drive if both the storage and O/S drives are ssd's themselves, did I just waste money?

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2013 2:42:23 AM

Pretty much no point using a caching SSD with a SSD storage/boot HDD

Cache SSD's are for mechanical drives so u can access commonly used files quickly, no point when the SSD drive can supply said files at the same speed as the Cache SSD
Share
September 10, 2013 2:47:14 AM

Keith Bennett said:
I am putting together a high performance system:

Motherboard Sabertooth X79
Intel 4960X
64GB 1600 memory
EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB Factory Clocked

SSD1 - Samsung 840 Pro - 256GB Operating System
SSD2 - Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB Cache
SSD3 - Crucial M500 - 960GB Storage

My question is this; I have 3 SSD's... what 6GB SATA port configuration do I choose for best performance

I consider I have two configuration options;

256GB O/S to E1, 128GB cache to E2 and 960GB storage to SATA6G_1

OR

960GB storage to E1, 128GB cache to E2 and 256GB O/S to SATA6G_1

Which will give me the highest performance and why, cache ssd with storage ssd v cache ssd with O/S ssd

The answer I got from Asus was not what I expected and would love to hear your opinion on this please, thanks!

Keith


ps... one other thought... is there actually any significant benefit using a dedicated ssd cache drive if both the storage and O/S drives are ssd's themselves, did I just waste money?


kitsunestarwind said:
Pretty much no point using a caching SSD with a SSD storage/boot HDD

Cache SSD's are for mechanical drives so u can access commonly used files quickly, no point when the SSD drive can supply said files at the same speed as the Cache SSD




Thank you, this was one of my lines of thought.. what if I used the cache ssd just as another storage ssd and placed the page file on it instead of on the O/S ssd, would that speed things up?

Better still, I'm most likely better off ditching the ssd cache idea, getting another 256GB ssd and going raid 0
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2013 3:31:39 AM

Paging file on a another SSD won't make much of a difference either
If you want raw speed have you considered any of the PCIe SSD's
m
0
l
September 10, 2013 11:31:55 AM

kitsunestarwind said:
Paging file on a another SSD won't make much of a difference either
If you want raw speed have you considered any of the PCIe SSD's


Thanks yes, but at the moment with the cost of this build hitting $6600NZD it was a step too far.. I think maybe I'll wait to the price comes down a little and Ive saved up a bit more. But yes you are right, thats the next big leap in speed to be had from what I gather, thanks
m
0
l
!