Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PC won't boot when installing new graphics card, when using my old card it boots.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 10, 2013 7:14:36 AM

I have no idea what's causing this. I just got my new Powercolor 7870 Myst back after I RMA'd it for this exact same issue. Windows won't boot, didn't even reach the BIOS when I put in the 7870 but the fan on the 7870 is running. When I put back my 550 TI it boots.

I already uninstalled the Nvidia drivers using a cleaner tool and installed AMD ones. When I got this card from the store, the staff tested it and it booted up but now on my rig it doesn't. BTW I checked the compatibility and my rig is fully compatible with this card. I'm using W7 64 bit. I tried safe mode with the 7870 on but it still won't boot.

It turns out I didn't successfully install the AMD drivers cause it couldn't detect an AMD card for the driver. How am I supposed to install the drivers when I can't even boot it when the 7870 is attached?

i5-3450 3.1ghz,
8GB RAM,
Seasonic S12ii 620W,
MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Mobo

What could be the problem?
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2013 7:24:24 AM

1 Check site of your motherboard to see if there are relevant BIOS updates regarding your problem.
2 Use a cleaner tool to remove all previous drivers instead of windows remove
3 What windows are you running?
4 if you boot in safemode does your pc boot?
5 when will it not boot what fase, post bios?
6 If you have another pci-e slot try that slot, if not stick it in a normal PCI should work too i believe but not for gaming.

6
m
0
l
September 10, 2013 8:14:12 AM

DragonChase said:
1 Check site of your motherboard to see if there are relevant BIOS updates regarding your problem.
2 Use a cleaner tool to remove all previous drivers instead of windows remove
3 What windows are you running?
4 if you boot in safemode does your pc boot?
5 when will it not boot what fase, post bios?
6 If you have another pci-e slot try that slot, if not stick it in a normal PCI should work too i believe but not for gaming.

6


I used Driver sweeper. There aren't any relevant updates regarding my issue. W7 64 bit. Tried booting on safe mod, still nothing. It doesn't even reach the BIOS, it's a black screen all the way. My mobo only has 1 slot.

m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2013 1:46:22 AM

repzaj1234 said:
DragonChase said:
1 Check site of your motherboard to see if there are relevant BIOS updates regarding your problem.
2 Use a cleaner tool to remove all previous drivers instead of windows remove
3 What windows are you running?
4 if you boot in safemode does your pc boot?
5 when will it not boot what fase, post bios?
6 If you have another pci-e slot try that slot, if not stick it in a normal PCI should work too i believe but not for gaming.

6


I used Driver sweeper. There aren't any relevant updates regarding my issue. W7 64 bit. Tried booting on safe mod, still nothing. It doesn't even reach the BIOS, it's a black screen all the way. My mobo only has 1 slot.



Contact MSI as soon as possible and report back here, curious myself too, 10 years ago had the same problem.

!!!!!!! i understand your situation fully and it IS the damn Motherboard manufacturers fault.


But you do have a second PCI slot.

Slots

• 1 PCI Express gen3 x16 slot, supports up to PCIe 3.0 x 16 speed
• 1 PCI Express gen2 x1 slot

Assuming its a pci-e 2.0 slot which should work.
Share
October 2, 2013 2:18:23 PM

DragonChase said:
repzaj1234 said:
DragonChase said:
1 Check site of your motherboard to see if there are relevant BIOS updates regarding your problem.
2 Use a cleaner tool to remove all previous drivers instead of windows remove
3 What windows are you running?
4 if you boot in safemode does your pc boot?
5 when will it not boot what fase, post bios?
6 If you have another pci-e slot try that slot, if not stick it in a normal PCI should work too i believe but not for gaming.

6



I used Driver sweeper. There aren't any relevant updates regarding my issue. W7 64 bit. Tried booting on safe mod, still nothing. It doesn't even reach the BIOS, it's a black screen all the way. My mobo only has 1 slot.



Contact MSI as soon as possible and report back here, curious myself too, 10 years ago had the same problem.

!!!!!!! i understand your situation fully and it IS the damn Motherboard manufacturers fault.


But you do have a second PCI slot.

Slots

• 1 PCI Express gen3 x16 slot, supports up to PCIe 3.0 x 16 speed
• 1 PCI Express gen2 x1 slot

Assuming its a pci-e 2.0 slot which should work.

hey, dragonchase, what did you do to solve that problem? I've not other PCI slot
m
0
l
May 26, 2014 5:02:03 AM

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE LINK BELOW AND AFTER LIKE 5 MINS..
MAKE EVERYTHING BACK TO NORMAL AGAIN AND RESTART! IT WORKED FOR ME :D 
http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_mothe...

repzaj1234 said:
I have no idea what's causing this. I just got my new Powercolor 7870 Myst back after I RMA'd it for this exact same issue. Windows won't boot, didn't even reach the BIOS when I put in the 7870 but the fan on the 7870 is running. When I put back my 550 TI it boots.

I already uninstalled the Nvidia drivers using a cleaner tool and installed AMD ones. When I got this card from the store, the staff tested it and it booted up but now on my rig it doesn't. BTW I checked the compatibility and my rig is fully compatible with this card. I'm using W7 64 bit. I tried safe mode with the 7870 on but it still won't boot.

It turns out I didn't successfully install the AMD drivers cause it couldn't detect an AMD card for the driver. How am I supposed to install the drivers when I can't even boot it when the 7870 is attached?

i5-3450 3.1ghz,
8GB RAM,
Seasonic S12ii 620W,
MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Mobo

What could be the problem?


m
0
l
!