5900 rpm hard drives slow?

Gabriel Rios

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hello everybody recently I just ordered my first parts for a budget build which includes fx 6300 and radeon hd 7850 and to save some money I went with a 5900 rpm hard drive. My question is will this just kill my pc experience? Please dont tell me to upgrade to 7200 rpm because I already bought this hard drive and there is no turning back. Thats why im asking if due to this HDD im gonna have a bad experience. Im gonna be doing things with Adobe CS and sony vegas as well playing minecraft and video editing. Could I survive with 5900 rpm. Also this is my first build and im upgrading from a very slow hp laptop if that helps.

Solution
You can survive, but a 5900rpm drive is really meant to be a storage drive and it will be fairly slow. You don't need to return it -- just buy 120/128GB SSD for your OS and program drive and use that one for storage. If you cannot afford the SSD now, just wait until Black Friday and buy it then when they are the cheapest price of the year.

RealBeast

Titan
You can survive, but a 5900rpm drive is really meant to be a storage drive and it will be fairly slow. You don't need to return it -- just buy 120/128GB SSD for your OS and program drive and use that one for storage. If you cannot afford the SSD now, just wait until Black Friday and buy it then when they are the cheapest price of the year.

Solution
The time to ask for advice is BEFORE you buy.

Since you are committed, why not see how you do, then make your decisions.
A 5900 rpm drive is not a great drive for the OS because it has longer access times. But, it will function.
You will probably be ok.

And... I agree, try to get a SSD in your upgrade plans.
Don't try to go cheap there with a small ssd. 120gb at least.

TRENDING THREADS