FX-6300 Light Overclock Build Compatability

Wakalaka

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1CwZx

This is my current build just built it last month. I am planning to buy the Coolermaster hyper TX cooler and was wondering if i could get away with a light over clock(~4.0GHz)?

My Concerns- My PSU is only 500W I have heard that OC'ing will draw a lot more power than standard CPU usage. Is there a difference in power draw if the overclock is lighter? If i maybe i lowered the over clock to something like 3.8 or 3.7 to stay within power supply range would the difference be negligible?

-The chipset on my motherboard is 760G I've heard that this isn't the best chipset for overclocking. Will that affect performance at all?

This would be my first time overclocking and as you can see I'm a little worried about doing it on my brad new build lol.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Up until about a week ago i was running a 6300, and much of my build is the same as yours (mobo being the biggest difference), but 4 GHz was a very easy OC for my chip with no voltage increase and my temps didn't change at all. I stress tested the CPU and GPU at the same time at full power on a kill a watt and i was only pulling 400 watts, so you're totally fine with a 500. I've never had anything less than an 880 chipset which was okay, so i'm not sure how it will handle it, but your cpu/cooler/psu are totally capable.

josecc

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

Wakalaka

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

?

Jaxem

Honorable
Up until about a week ago i was running a 6300, and much of my build is the same as yours (mobo being the biggest difference), but 4 GHz was a very easy OC for my chip with no voltage increase and my temps didn't change at all. I stress tested the CPU and GPU at the same time at full power on a kill a watt and i was only pulling 400 watts, so you're totally fine with a 500. I've never had anything less than an 880 chipset which was okay, so i'm not sure how it will handle it, but your cpu/cooler/psu are totally capable.

Solution

Wakalaka

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

Thanks! This is good enough for me to give it a try ill shoot for 4.0 but if that's looking stable maybe ill push it a little harder.

josecc

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Jaxem is right, the chip will do 4.0 without voltage. I did two builds with the msi 760g -23 motherboard for my nephews. The asus motherboard you picked will do just fine. Your PSU is fine too.