Solved

My psu dosent have 2 6 pin for my new 7870 what do I do?

So I want to buy a Sapphire Radeon HD7870 GHz Edition Dual-X 2GB DDR5 256-bit but it requeirs 2X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connectors and I read that my Floston Fl500Extra PSU has only 1 6-pin connector.What do I do?(My PC was pre-built if it helps)
My specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
RAM:8 GB
CPU:Intel Core i5 3330 3.0GHZ
GFX:AMD Radeon HD7750 1BG GDDR5
PSU:Floston Fl500Extra
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about psu dosent pin 7870
  1. you are going to need to buy a new psu essentially, the molex to 6pin adapters arent good to use with midrange - high end cards that need multiple power inputs.
  2. mauller07 said:
    you are going to need to buy a new psu essentially, the molex to 6pin adapters arent good to use with midrange - high end cards that need multiple power inputs.


    So you are telling me that I need to upgrade my PSU or will it work with the one I have right now because I don't have enough money to upgrade the PSU too :(
  3. Although this isn't the best solution, the graphics card should come with at least one adapter for molex to PCIe, you may be able to use that. I am unfamiliar with Sursa as a PSU brand so I can't say for sure whether you have the available amperage
    Here's what I found, the Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD spec's a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have 30 Amps on the 12v. Your PSU falls a little short of that on the 12v rail, supplying only 24A (according to the spec's I found here http://www.emag.ro/sursa-floston-fl500-extra-500w-neagra-sfl500extra/pd/EVRPKBBBM/ )
    I would suggest looking to replace your PSU if wanting to add a graphics card needing two PCIe connectors
  4. Any 500W PSU unit that is rated 80+ bronze will be more than enough to supply your system with the required juice. You can find an adapter from 6 pin to three pins but personally I've never heard of the brand of your PSU so I wouldn't recommend that.
  5. Should I risk it guys?Or should I upgrade my PSU and wait when I get more money and then buy the GFX?Also what PSU do you recommand?
  6. get a new psu. good quality psu's at the 500w range usually have two 6/8pin connectors and able to pump ~40A on the 12V rail. if it was a quality psu with only one, you could use a molex-to-6pin adapter, but even that is not recommended too much. your psu only supplies 18A on its 6pin (216W).
    http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/floston/fl500/
    the typical power draw of a 7870GE is >80% of what your psu can supply and will kill your psu/pc. install an antec, corsair, XFX, seasonic, superflower or enermax PSU before installing a gpu requiring external power
  7. C12Friedman said:
    Although this isn't the best solution, the graphics card should come with at least one adapter for molex to PCIe, you may be able to use that. I am unfamiliar with Sursa as a PSU brand so I can't say for sure whether you have the available amperage
    Here's what I found, the Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD spec's a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have 30 Amps on the 12v. Your PSU falls a little short of that on the 12v rail, supplying only 24A (according to the spec's I found here http://www.emag.ro/sursa-floston-fl500-extra-500w-neagra-sfl500extra/pd/EVRPKBBBM/ )
    I would suggest looking to replace your PSU if wanting to add a graphics card needing two PCIe connectors


    Is this PSU good enough?:http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/segotep/rp650/
  8. Au_equus said:
    ... your psu only supplies 18A on its 6pin (216W).
    http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/floston/fl500/


    That's the standard 500, he has the "Extra" which has an "extra" 6A for a total of 288W which still isn't there
  9. Perhaps one of these
    Antec High Current Gamer 520W
    Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2
    Seasonic G Series 450W
    Enermax NAXN ADV 82+ 450W

    Note that there are two PSU below the recommended 500W - both are capable of supplying enough power though
  10. oops, good call c12.

    get this one: corsair vs450 http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/corsair/vs-series-vs450/
    it provides the same amperage on the 12v rail as the 650w unit you just posted
  11. Thanks guys and I think I will get this one: http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/segotep/rp650/ .Because it has 650W and 2X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connectors.If you think that this is a bad idea tell me why and I might change up my mind.
  12. Well, it doesnt seem like that great of a brand. My 520W PSU puts out more than that.
  13. Deemo13 said:
    Well, it doesnt seem like that great of a brand. My 520W PSU puts out more than that.


    But it should be good for the GFX and the rest of my computer right?
  14. That depends on the quality of it.
  15. One thing I think you are not considering here and the reason the PSU's we are suggesting are a bit more expensive than what you seem to want to spend... Everything your PC does depends upon clean stable power going into it. We're simply trying to ensure that's what you're getting
  16. Choosing a PSU for a gaming PC comes down to the 12V rail: quantity and quality. For example, the PSU you selected is a 650W that supplies 476W or 73.2%. The manufacturer may label the unit as 650W, but in reality you're getting a 500W unit. The one I chose is 450W but supplies the same wattage on the 12V rail and also happens to be cheaper and better quality. But hey, its your PC... we just make suggestions based off what we know.
  17. Au_equus said:
    Choosing a PSU for a gaming PC comes down to the 12V rail: quantity and quality. For example, the PSU you selected is a 650W that supplies 476W or 73.2%. The manufacturer may label the unit as 650W, but in reality you're getting a 500W unit. The one I chose is 450W but supplies the same wattage on the 12V rail and also happens to be cheaper and better quality. But hey, its your PC... we just make suggestions based off what we know.


    So the PSU you recommand me should be enough to power up my PC + the new GFX I want to buy?
    So this one should be good?:http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/corsair/vs-series-vs450/
  18. Can this PSU power up my computer and the new GFX I want to buy?Please help!
    http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/corsair/vs-series-vs450/
  19. Bump
  20. Best answer
    The Corsair VS450 should work fine
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies HELP Dual Graphics Sapphire Radeon