Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Xonar DG 5.1 Causing FPS Drop?

Last response: in Components
Share
September 11, 2013 3:00:45 PM

Hey guys, so I just installed an Asus Xonar DG 5.1 sound card and I've noticed that I'm getting a huge FPS drop while doing anything. Even moving windows around is choppy. Can anyone shed some light on why? I installed the correct drivers off the CD provided and I disabled Realtek thru device manager. Could it really be the sound card doing this?

More about : xonar causing fps drop

September 11, 2013 3:16:33 PM

I have heard some people experienced issues using sample-rates higher than 44.1k in some games. This involved random crashing and general errors, but this might not be your issue. Have you disabled onboard sound in the bios? What is your system specs?
m
0
l
September 11, 2013 3:22:33 PM

PyjamasCat said:
I have heard some people experienced issues using sample-rates higher than 44.1k in some games. This involved random crashing and general errors, but this might not be your issue. Have you disabled onboard sound in the bios? What is your system specs?


My sample rate was default set to 98khz in the Asus Xonar program but the Windows default was 44.1khz so I just bumped it up in the Xonar program. I haven't disabled onboard sound in bios yet. I'll give that a try.

Specs:
MSI X58 Pro-E
6GB DDR3 RAM
ATI HD 6850 stock speeds
I7-920 @ 3.2ghz stock
Asus Xonar DG 5.1
Logitech Z506
m
0
l
Related resources
September 11, 2013 3:32:03 PM

The first thing would be to disable onboard audio in the bios. Then play with the sample rate (although I'm not too sure this helps or what causes issues here).

Were/are you able to play music? When I installed my card I had no sound at all, until I realized I had to disable mobo audio.
m
0
l
September 11, 2013 3:34:16 PM

PyjamasCat said:
The first thing would be to disable onboard audio in the bios. Then play with the sample rate (although I'm not too sure this helps or what causes issues here).

Were/are you able to play music? When I installed my card I had no sound at all, until I realized I had to disable mobo audio.


I had sound since the start. Just disabled the HD audio controller in the bios. Doesn't seem like there's a difference. My computer is taking a VERY LONG time to post now. Applications are also very slow to launch. I think I might just RMA this card. Too much trouble for what it's worth tbh. Gonna try launching a game right now and install the Uni Xonar drivers.
m
0
l
September 11, 2013 3:43:12 PM

Oh I forgot about the drivers. These here? http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

I found the the Asus drivers were unstable and caused lots of latency. It made it difficult for me to record guitar (as I monitor through my speakers, because I don't have a mic yet.) and sometimes my settings were not saved.

The UNi drivers are fantastic and you may find they help a lot. Especially with stability.
m
3
l
September 11, 2013 3:47:01 PM

PyjamasCat said:
Oh I forgot about the drivers. These here? http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

I found the the Asus drivers were unstable and caused lots of latency. It made it difficult for me to record guitar (as I monitor through my speakers, because I don't have a mic yet.) and sometimes my settings were not saved.

The UNi drivers are fantastic and you may find they help a lot. Especially with stability.


Uni drivers didn't help. Just wiped out my onboard Realtek drivers so now I gotta go and reinstall those. Also it removed the Xonar program. Just going to rip out the card and RMA it. Sigh. What a waste of time. Thanks anyway Pyjamas.
m
0
l
September 11, 2013 3:54:54 PM

nin-ha said:


Uni drivers didn't help. Just wiped out my onboard Realtek drivers so now I gotta go and reinstall those. Also it removed the Xonar program. Just going to rip out the card and RMA it. Sigh. What a waste of time. Thanks anyway Pyjamas.


Possible that the card is dysfunctional. Do you have your mobo disk? I believe you can find your audio drivers there if you cant be bothered searching online. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.
m
0
l
September 11, 2013 4:05:22 PM

PyjamasCat said:
nin-ha said:


Uni drivers didn't help. Just wiped out my onboard Realtek drivers so now I gotta go and reinstall those. Also it removed the Xonar program. Just going to rip out the card and RMA it. Sigh. What a waste of time. Thanks anyway Pyjamas.


Possible that the card is dysfunctional. Do you have your mobo disk? I believe you can find your audio drivers there if you cant be bothered searching online. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.


I got all the drivers and I removed the card and my boot times and launch times are back to normal. However my FPS is still in the pooper. I have no idea what could be causing this now! I removed all the Xonar drivers, re-enabled onboard sound, took out the card and everything but my FPS is still really low. Maybe I did something to the GFX card itself while I was inside....
m
0
l
September 12, 2013 5:50:22 PM

Alright so I found out the problem! Well sort of. Turns out it was NOT the Xonar sound card. Weell not completely. I reseated all the major components and my computer seems to run fine now. After reinstalling the sound card however, my post times are a few seconds longer but I don't really mind. Applications are launching fine and all my games are running smoothly. No idea what could have caused this tbh.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 12, 2013 8:36:26 PM

nin-ha said:
Alright so I found out the problem! Well sort of. Turns out it was NOT the Xonar sound card. Weell not completely. I reseated all the major components and my computer seems to run fine now. After reinstalling the sound card however, my post times are a few seconds longer but I don't really mind. Applications are launching fine and all my games are running smoothly. No idea what could have caused this tbh.


Great to hear you solved the issue! If your boot times are a problem, you could try some of the things on this list. http://lifehacker.com/5821865/top-10-ways-to-speed-up-w...
Share
!