Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is a i3 2120 good enough for BF4

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 12, 2013 10:05:04 AM

I have just got a HD7870 as a step towards upgrading for BF4.

Will my CPU be ok as the requirements ask for a Intel quad core and the 2120 has hyperhreading?

Thanks in advance

More about : 2120 good bf4

a b à CPUs
September 12, 2013 10:16:42 AM

hi, we would not know till it comes out ;) , if you have a chance, test it with BF 3 and base your decision around that
m
0
l
September 12, 2013 10:21:08 AM

megagabobe1 said:
hi, we would not know till it comes out ;) , if you have a chance, test it with BF 3 and base your decision around that


Yeh all cores including logical ones work in BF3...I'll just wait and see if BF4 max's out my i3...

Thanks for your reply
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2013 10:26:46 AM

Battlefield 4's recommended system requirements requires an AMD six-core or Intel quad-core, so you should be fine on high settings, on ultra settings the game would lag!
m
0
l
a c 175 à CPUs
September 12, 2013 10:54:17 AM

bf4 will work like crysis3... and will eat up all the cores you can throw at it. so yeah... your i3 will likely be a bottleneck at higher settings.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 12, 2013 10:57:01 AM

John Collins said:
megagabobe1 said:
hi, we would not know till it comes out ;) , if you have a chance, test it with BF 3 and base your decision around that


Yeh all cores including logical ones work in BF3...I'll just wait and see if BF4 max's out my i3...

Thanks for your reply

that would be the best idea, try before making a decision, just remember they use the same engine
Share
September 16, 2013 2:19:55 PM

Did a check on Systemrequirements



It failed on ram and gpu ram but said my cpu was fine !!
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
September 16, 2013 2:29:19 PM

John Collins said:
Did a check on Systemrequirements



It failed on ram and gpu ram but said my cpu was fine !!


BF4 is on a whole new version of the Frostbite engine.

DICE will tell you a dual core for single player is fine, if you like MP (and anyone playing BF4 will want to MP), then the dual core will be insufficient on the big maps. The lesser maps should be "ok-ish" but I would get a quad core first if I were you.
m
0
l
September 17, 2013 4:47:51 AM

So the i3's 2 logical cores are no good ?

m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
September 17, 2013 6:13:47 AM

John Collins said:
So the i3's 2 logical cores are no good ?



They won't be enough for BF4 multiplayer. They will likely run single player campaign fine, but you'd be better off with a quad core.
m
0
l
September 17, 2013 6:44:07 AM

8350rocks said:
John Collins said:
So the i3's 2 logical cores are no good ?



They won't be enough for BF4 multiplayer. They will likely run single player campaign fine, but you'd be better off with a quad core.


Thanks for your reply

m
0
l
a c 680 à CPUs
September 17, 2013 7:02:40 AM

What motherboard do you have? It might be upgradeable to an i5 or i7.
m
0
l
September 22, 2013 4:13:56 PM

logainofhades said:
What motherboard do you have? It might be upgradeable to an i5 or i7.


Its a GA-Z77M-D3H is it worth geting a 3570k with that board ..or what non k i5 would be good for BF4?

Cheers
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
September 22, 2013 4:17:56 PM

John Collins said:
logainofhades said:
What motherboard do you have? It might be upgradeable to an i5 or i7.


Its a GA-Z77M-D3H is it worth geting a 3570k with that board ..or what non k i5 would be good for BF4?

Cheers


Most budget friendly is likely i5-3350p. Though, if you want to overclock, the 3570k is really the only option.
m
0
l
September 23, 2013 2:19:45 AM

8350rocks said:
John Collins said:
logainofhades said:
What motherboard do you have? It might be upgradeable to an i5 or i7.


Its a GA-Z77M-D3H is it worth geting a 3570k with that board ..or what non k i5 would be good for BF4?

Cheers


Most budget friendly is likely i5-3350p. Though, if you want to overclock, the 3570k is really the only option.


So a 3350p will be enough for bf4 ultra?

m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
September 23, 2013 6:35:04 AM

John Collins said:
8350rocks said:
John Collins said:
logainofhades said:
What motherboard do you have? It might be upgradeable to an i5 or i7.


Its a GA-Z77M-D3H is it worth geting a 3570k with that board ..or what non k i5 would be good for BF4?

Cheers


Most budget friendly is likely i5-3350p. Though, if you want to overclock, the 3570k is really the only option.


So a 3350p will be enough for bf4 ultra?



It should run the CPU end of it well enough, though you won't see as high FPS as you would have with something like an 8350 or 3570k. Also, your HD 7870 should be able to run it pretty well on the GPU end...not sure if it will do Ultra with all the AA and AF on, though it should be close.
m
0
l
a c 680 à CPUs
September 23, 2013 7:23:37 AM

hafijur said:
logainofhades said:

It should run the CPU end of it well enough, though you won't see as high FPS as you would have with something like an 8350 or 3570k. Also, your HD 7870 should be able to run it pretty well on the GPU end...not sure if it will do Ultra with all the AA and AF on, though it should be close.

http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-alpha-gpu-and-cpu-...
http://cdn.overclock.net/0/04/500x1000px-LL-04d6fd37_bf...

Looking at the above soon as the i5 3350p performs nearly identical to an i5 2500k that statement is false.

John Collins I would get a z87 motherboard with something like an i5 4430 or 4570 or 4670k depending on what you can get for a good price and then bf4 is good to go.


Why the hell should he spend more money on a Z87 system when he can just drop in an Ivy Bridge chip for less? I am actually recommending he drop one of your beloved Intel chips into his board for his upgrade. The same chip I myself run, actually. Haswell doesn't offer enough performance over Ivy to make it worth the added cost to buy a board and cpu. OP, if you don't want to overclock another option is this chip. It is an i7 for an i5 like price. Would be a much better investment than starting over with Haswell by far. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
September 23, 2013 8:13:55 AM

hafijur said:
8350rocks said:

It should run the CPU end of it well enough, though you won't see as high FPS as you would have with something like an 8350 or 3570k. Also, your HD 7870 should be able to run it pretty well on the GPU end...not sure if it will do Ultra with all the AA and AF on, though it should be close.

http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-alpha-gpu-and-cpu-...
http://cdn.overclock.net/0/04/500x1000px-LL-04d6fd37_bf...

Looking at the above soon as the i5 3350p performs nearly identical to an i5 2500k that statement is false.

John Collins I would get a z87 motherboard with something like an i5 4430 or 4570 or 4670k depending on what you can get for a good price and then bf4 is good to go.


You're a fool for recommending he spend more money than he needs.

@OP: Don't bother wasting money on hasfail. Just get a SB or IB i5 and go on with it.
m
0
l
September 23, 2013 8:47:25 AM

It will work, but if you have the money to upgrade, upgrade. I started out with a i3 2120 for bf3 almost a year ago. I soon regretted it. BF3 certainly utilizes both cores, and there really isn't any room left to operate any other programs. I usually run mumble/teampseak, watch movies in the background, web browse, or play music. I notice I would get stuttering often enough to were it became annoying. I sold my i3-2120 and bought an i5 2400, and the improvement was huge. You should go for a quad core if you have the funds.
m
0
l
September 23, 2013 12:18:00 PM

Went for a 3570k as I didn't want to regret not having enough power and shelling out again. I'll get a cooler as soon as my wife starts talking to me again lol
m
0
l
September 23, 2013 12:18:02 PM

Double post ..derp
m
0
l
September 23, 2013 9:24:02 PM

John Collins said:
Went for a 3570k as I didn't want to regret not having enough power and shelling out again. I'll get a cooler as soon as my wife starts talking to me again lol


Do you have a board thats able to overclock? Getting a K series chip is kind of moot if you cant oc :]
m
0
l
September 23, 2013 11:16:57 PM

John Collins said:
Double post ..derp


Cryptik said:
John Collins said:
Went for a 3570k as I didn't want to regret not having enough power and shelling out again. I'll get a cooler as soon as my wife starts talking to me again lol


Do you have a board thats able to overclock? Getting a K series chip is kind of moot if you cant oc :]


Yep my board is a z77 thats why I went for the K.
m
0
l
!