I7 3770k vs i7 4770 performance

I want to know which proccesor gives better gaming performance the Intel core I7 3770k Overclocked or the Intel core i7 4770 untouched. Both with the same Video card n 8 gb RAM. With proper aircolling n power stuffs. THx for the help.
18 answers Last reply
More about 3770k 4770 performance
  1. The i7-3770K.
  2. Of course the 3770K Overclocked :)

    Both are very similar, just the 4770(K) is the newest version.
  3. And, just throwing out there, an unlocked i5 is going to perform EXACTLY the same as an i7, because the only difference, basically, is hyperthreading, which games don't make use of.
  4. DarkSable said:
    And, just throwing out there, an unlocked i5 is going to perform EXACTLY the same as an i7, because the only difference, basically, is hyperthreading, which games don't make use of.



    ^ This, hyperthreading is only going to help you in cpu hungry apps and maybe a couple of cpu heavy games (Planetside 2, Crysis 3, Arma 3, etc)
  5. u_gonna_squeal_b4_we_cookya said:
    Depends on how high you overclock it. If it is only a few hundred MHz, then they will be about even. If it is 4.5 GHz or higher, then the 3770k.

    What he said.

    As far as I know Haswell is about 10-15% faster than Ivy. (But google it, just to be sure.)

    So, as a rule of thumb:
    Haswell @ 4GHz = Ivy @ about 4,5(ish) GHz
  6. ^Nowhere even close to that much faster. Try halving that - it's about 8% faster than Ivy.
  7. Yeah, 8% isn´t even close to 10%...

    And 8-10% is the average value most reviewers conclude, depending on the used benchmark.
  8. Som3one said:
    Yeah, 8% isn´t even close to 10%...

    And 8-10% is the average value most reviewers conclude, depending on the used benchmark.


    ...The difference between 8-10% and 10-15% is as much as 7%, which is almost double reality in an extreme case.
  9. DarkSable said:
    Som3one said:
    Yeah, 8% isn´t even close to 10%...

    And 8-10% is the average value most reviewers conclude, depending on the used benchmark.


    ...The difference between 8-10% and 10-15% is as much as 7%, which is almost double reality in an extreme case.


    +1, in gaming it's actually closer to 3-5%...8% is a synthetic benchmark based best case scenario...real world results show even less.
  10. u_gonna_squeal_b4_we_cookya said:
    Depends on how high you overclock it. If it is only a few hundred MHz, then they will be about even. If it is 4.5 GHz or higher, then the 3770k.


    i have water cooled asus x87 board, 16 gigs 2400mhz ram one touch my 4770k haswell goes 4.6+ easily, pulling about 84 watts, and can go up to 5.2, ....speed is speed and you get what you pay for
  11. Mike Givens said:
    u_gonna_squeal_b4_we_cookya said:
    Depends on how high you overclock it. If it is only a few hundred MHz, then they will be about even. If it is 4.5 GHz or higher, then the 3770k.


    i have water cooled asus x87 board, 16 gigs 2400mhz ram one touch my 4770k haswell goes 4.6+ easily, pulling about 84 watts, and can go up to 5.2, ....speed is speed and you get what you pay for


    That's pretty funny, considering nobody has broken 5.0 on hasfail. I call BS without a CPU-Z validation and a benchmark @ 5.2 GHz.
  12. i've only hit 4,8, but was told it will go higher.
    i only run a cheap 140 mm x140mm 55i water cooler I use and stay stable @4.6 "84 watts" ram on extreme settings appdata 2400 are factory set 1.65 volts mobo runs 24c idle 32c full load, cpu runs 26c idle and 48c @4.6 & up to 58c @ 4.8 under full load windows experience was only 7.8 :(
    no mater what on windows 7 64 bit
    my friends spent a few 1000.00 more than i did i'll have him crank it up and see, never meant to bend anyone out of shape.
  13. 8350rocks said:
    Mike Givens said:
    u_gonna_squeal_b4_we_cookya said:
    Depends on how high you overclock it. If it is only a few hundred MHz, then they will be about even. If it is 4.5 GHz or higher, then the 3770k.


    i have water cooled asus x87 board, 16 gigs 2400mhz ram one touch my 4770k haswell goes 4.6+ easily, pulling about 84 watts, and can go up to 5.2, ....speed is speed and you get what you pay for


    That's pretty funny, considering nobody has broken 5.0 on hasfail. I call BS without a CPU-Z validation and a benchmark @ 5.2 GHz.


    Hurr?

    http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Overclocker-Pushes-Intel-Haswell-Core-i7-4770K-CPU-Beyond-7GHz
  14. Gaidax said:
    8350rocks said:
    Mike Givens said:
    u_gonna_squeal_b4_we_cookya said:
    Depends on how high you overclock it. If it is only a few hundred MHz, then they will be about even. If it is 4.5 GHz or higher, then the 3770k.


    i have water cooled asus x87 board, 16 gigs 2400mhz ram one touch my 4770k haswell goes 4.6+ easily, pulling about 84 watts, and can go up to 5.2, ....speed is speed and you get what you pay for


    That's pretty funny, considering nobody has broken 5.0 on hasfail. I call BS without a CPU-Z validation and a benchmark @ 5.2 GHz.


    Hurr?

    http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Overclocker-Pushes-Intel-Haswell-Core-i7-4770K-CPU-Beyond-7GHz


    Sure, using LN2 or LOX cooling...if you run that setup in your home, you must be a scientist with access to dangerous compounds. They won't sell either one to Joe Schmoe off the street.

    Additionally, using the same methods, they were able to overclock the FX line to 8.76 GHz.

    I am discussing what can be done in a living room and used daily. As I said, no one has hit a 5 GHz daily OC on hasfail.
  15. stable as a rock @ 4.6, with my small water cooler i push to 4.8 , only keep it for half hour playing bf3 on ultra settings , gets hot, need a real good water cooler to be stable any higher, at any rate it beats the 4.5 posted above easily and its lame to say its not a better chip when it is, maybe not a super jump up but better still.
    if your amd then thats your choice, just don't think you can rate a chip you don't own.
    spend 200.00 plus on water cooler then clock it above 4.8, many people have posted 5.0 and above hence why i bough this chip "I7 4770k".
  16. Mike Givens said:
    stable as a rock @ 4.6, with my small water cooler i push to 4.8 , only keep it for half hour playing bf3 on ultra settings , gets hot, need a real good water cooler to be stable any higher, at any rate it beats the 4.5 posted above easily and its lame to say its not a better chip when it is, maybe not a super jump up but better still.
    if your amd then thats your choice, just don't think you can rate a chip you don't own.
    spend 200.00 plus on water cooler then clock it above 4.8, many people have posted 5.0 and above hence why i bough this chip "I7 4770k".


    If you had a 3770k @ 4.8 GHz, you would still be on air cooling.

    That's why hasfail is lame...additionally, you hit the silicon lottery, as hasfail does not normally hit such high overclocks...at all.
  17. For just gaming the 3770k. If you want the CPU for anything else, i.e the new instruction cycles or virtualization kiss k series goodbye. If u ever considered doing development, a K series CPU is suicide (for the haswell series anyway)
  18. lukemtesta said:
    For just gaming the 3770k. If you want the CPU for anything else, i.e the new instruction cycles or virtualization kiss k series goodbye. If u ever considered doing development, a K series CPU is suicide (for the haswell series anyway)


    That's an interesting bit about development, and a good tidbit to know.

    But for gaming, the 3770k is a waste of $100.

    And this post is a necro of way too many months.
Ask a new question

Read More

Performance Intel i7 Intel CPUs