FX-6300 BE temperature problem

Stathis Voulgaris

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Hi i recently bought my rig (FX 6300BE on ASROCK 880GM-LE FX) and after some time with it i decided to change the stock cooler to a better (and more quiet) one.I had this(COOLERMASTER RR-TX3E-22PK-R1 HYPER TX3)on my old rig and the socket is compatible so i did the installation.My rig is pretty quiet now but im confused with the temperature,so i downloaded a couple of programs to compare results.But most of them have different results and thats bugging me a lot
Hwmonitor has 2 temps:
mobo->temps->CPUTIN:48(idle) 60 (100%load with prime95)
cpu->temps_>package:25/38

speedfan: 48/60

speccy:24/37
which one of these readings should i trust?

PS:the thermal paste was a junk i bought with 2Euros cause nothing else was availiable atm.
Any recommendations?

Solution
The dichotomy you are witnessing is because there are two sets of sensors: the CPU Socket temperature sensors, and the on-die CPU Core temperature sensor.

The CPU Socket sensor is great for idle temperature readings, but is inaccurate at load temperatures (usually displayed 10-15C higher.)

The on-die CPU Core sensor is on the chip itself, and puts the readings through a "weighted" equation to display accurate readings at load. However, because of this weighted equation, at idle it displays weird, usually sub-ambient, temperatures.

You're lucky enough to have three programs that support one another in the evidence of this where you can clearly see which is which. Cheers!

If you're looking for a decent thermal paste, Arctic...

8350rocks

Distinguished
I would get some better thermal paste, and re-install. Your temps aren't bad, but they could be better...the package temp is the one you should be concerned about. Don't let it break 62C.

Additionally, might try HWMonitor to get a little more accurate reading. That's what I use, and the CPU temps are usually accurate. The socket temp should be a bit lower than the core temp, though not by a great deal...maybe 5-8C. The core temp should never exceed 62C and ideally, you want to be more inline with the low/mid 50s under load.

The dichotomy you are witnessing is because there are two sets of sensors: the CPU Socket temperature sensors, and the on-die CPU Core temperature sensor.

The CPU Socket sensor is great for idle temperature readings, but is inaccurate at load temperatures (usually displayed 10-15C higher.)

The on-die CPU Core sensor is on the chip itself, and puts the readings through a "weighted" equation to display accurate readings at load. However, because of this weighted equation, at idle it displays weird, usually sub-ambient, temperatures.

You're lucky enough to have three programs that support one another in the evidence of this where you can clearly see which is which. Cheers!

If you're looking for a decent thermal paste, Arctic Cooling MX-4 is a good one to get a hold of.

Solution