Solved

msi GTX 770 lightning won't oc

Hi fellow gamers, i recently decided to go with the gtx 770 lightning from msi instead of 2x760 sli, because 770 was about 150e cheaper here but still great performer. I installed 320.49 nvidia drivers, added +12mv in afterburner (normal version with +12mv limit) and tried to oc. After some time the max stable oc i managed was a pathetic +20mhz. I say pathetic because in many reviews i have read the oc on +12mv was alot higher and i have 2 friends with msi 680 lightning's and both of them surpass my gtx 770 in performance because of higher oc. I tried the new nvidia 326.80 beta drivers and with them my card is barely stable on stock, i cant even ad 5mhz without losing stability. Changing the memory to stock doesn't help. I can get 2025mhz stable on vram but i keep it on 1900. I also tried afterburner se edition and on +100mv i can get 1220mhz (1320 turbo) stable but with much higher temps, little over 80c with fans set to 90% (playing crysis 3 and sleeping dogs). My friends with their gtx 680 lightning get 1250mhz (about 1360 turbo) with just +50mv and temps dont go over 60c on 65% fan settings.So my question is: Is my gpu defective or i'm just unlucky and got a bad overclocker?
If you have any questions please ask. Thank you in advance friends!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about msi gtx 770 lightning
  1. Please do remember that no two chips are the same, is it stable on stock frequencies? if it is then it's far from defective. so it seems like you got a bad overclocker.
  2. Pconsoles said:
    Please do remember that no two chips are the same, is it stable on stock frequencies? if it is then it's far from defective. so it seems like you got a bad overclocker.


    I'm a little disappointed but it's ok i still like the card. What about the heat? Is it also different from chip to chip?
  3. Your card has a TDP or thermal design power of 230watts and the 680 has 195 which means it outputs more heat and uses a little bit more power than the 680, and since you set the voltage +50mv more it will understandably use more power and output more heat than your friend's 680. Heat will also vary from chip to chip it depends on a lot of factors like Thermal paste application and asic quality
  4. Pconsoles said:
    Your card has a TDP or thermal design power of 230watts and the 680 has 195 which means it outputs more heat and uses a little bit more power than the 680, and since you set the voltage +50mv more it will understandably use more power and output more heat than your friend's 680. Heat will also vary from chip to chip it depends on a lot of factors like Thermal paste application and asic quality

    Thank You friend. My asic is 81,4%, can u explain to me what are the benefits and cons of higher asic, since 80+ is considered higher(i think)? Also what do you use for stability testing, because when i use furmark and crysis 3 my max oc is higher then when i use Unigine Heaven. On heaven my max oc are those above in my first post, but in furmark and crysis 3 im stable at 1200-1220mhz with just +12mv?
  5. Best answer
    Your Asic quality is above average which means high overclocks in lower voltage(according to GPU-Z) which is the opposite of what you're experiencing now,lower asic quality means high voltage but low clocks.perhaps the card has higher load when using unigine but if it's stable on games you may keep the overclock, just watch the temps and please do define a custom fan profile.
  6. Pconsoles said:
    Your Asic quality is above average which means high overclocks in lower voltage(according to GPU-Z) which is the opposite of what you're experiencing now,lower asic quality means high voltage but low clocks.perhaps the card has higher load when using unigine but if it's stable on games you may keep the overclock, just watch the temps and please do define a custom fan profile.


    Thank You!
  7. No problem and happy gaming!:)
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Gtx GPUs Graphics MSI-Microstar