Sign in with
Your question

840 pro 256gb RAID 0, weirdly low write speeds...

Last response: in Storage
September 13, 2013 3:36:47 PM

OK, so I managed to setup a RAID with 2x256gb 840pros, without having to reinstall windows a few months ago, after following some quite complex steps (but learned in the end there is a very simple solution with Intel RTS, i think)...
Anyways for the next few months everything was nice and dandy, seq read/write speeds hitting around 1000 Mb/s either way (weirdly enough my boots improved from like 35 sec to 25s). Over the months I built up a big collection of games, now the disk is 73% full, I also during the last week or so, did a few massive changes, making my PC a server as well for a website.
I test the drives now and they are performing poorly to say the least... the seq read fluctuates massively from 300-1000 and the seq write is just dreadful, constantly at 170Mbs...

So.. what is the problem? I wonder if its the massive increase in how much space is used (from around 40%->70%) It could be the server programs mucking something up (currently just using iis 7.5, with php installed)? I would really be disappointed if its just the drives getting worse over time...

Anyways is there a way to fix this? I would prefer not have to start over.. but thats the only solution I've come up with XD

i.e:
backup only essential files (save files, work, music,e.t.c) on secondary drive,
unRAID the drives, the use HDDerase on them with a bootabel USB,
reRAID the drives, then reinstall windows 7, and install all programs again... (dreadful process XDD)

September 13, 2013 4:09:52 PM

AHA! Interesting... a re install of RST, then the RST RAID drives seemed to have promisingly increased the seq read writes back to 1000MB/s on one test. I'll test them a few more times and post back...
m
l
!