Solved

Xbox one vs PC?

I was wondering if guys think I should get an Xbox One or a PC. Here are my opinionized pros and cons of each.
Pros of Xbox One: Cheaper, designed for gaming, TV integration, DEAD RISING 3, Kinect, new controller.
Cons: My friends are "too cool" for it and would likely make fun of me while a PC could be seen as just a computer.

Pros of desktop PC: upgradeable, can use xbox one controller with it, could be seen as just a computer rather than a gaming console.
Cons of desktop: can be rather heavy, rather expensive, not used to windows.

Pros of laptop: mobile, stylish, most pros are opposites of the desktops cons, can also be seen as just a computer.
Cons: mostly the opposite of the desktops pros, non-upgradeable, (i assume i can use an xbox one controller with this too, though).

Out of the question: PS4 (dont want to only play games, getting new friends (me and my friends are all athletic and we all have a 360, just recently, theyve gotten bored and so have i, but i feel like i'll like the next gen games.)
only partially out of the question: I will consider building one, and I know how easy everyone on he says it is, but im kinda tech dumb, and would need a big company to help me and stand by their product.

Please tell me what you think I should get and why. and a few links for stylish, powerful computers and laptops.

Also, can I play xbox one exclusives on PC like Dead Rising 3, like they did at E3, is that possible for cunsumers?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about xbox
  1. *consumers
  2. Depends on how much money you'd be willing to throw at a computer. $500, I'd probably recommend the Xbox. You can get a low end laptop not designed for gaming, or a low end gaming PC. If $750+ I would start recommending PC over laptops or Xbox.

    I would only suggest laptops for gaming if you're willing to throw $800+ and absolutely must have the portability.

    You can also build very small PCs that don't weigh much. Tom's had an article a little while back about a ~$500 PC that was about the size of an Xbox 360.

    And the laptop should be able to use an Xbox controller as long as it has a USB port and the new Xbox controllers use USB.
  3. I love how you say XboX One "cheaper". i dont want to start a fight here but you will spend 500$ on XboX One And Additional 150$ (or more) on Kinect. When your XboX stops working the only thing you can do is to buy new one witch is more 500$ spended instead of just 100$ (or something like that) to change one part. Then you come to games STEAM. Steam sells allot of games for cheap prices plus you can use Steams "Big Screen" add on (that comes with steam) and you can connect it to your TV by HDMI cable and play at full HD resolution in 60 or more FPS witch you would never get with XboX One. You may spend more money on beginning on PC but you fill see the payoff in 6 months. Oh and i almost forgot you need to pay monthly to be able to play online on XboX witch is totally free on PC. I have heard that allot of people like consoles because they have controllers. Sony and Microsoft have made PC versions of PS3 and XboX 360 controllers (they will make them for PS4 and XboX 1 too).
  4. "I love how you say XboX One "cheaper". i dont want to start a fight here but you will spend 500$ on XboX One And Additional 150$ (or more) on Kinect."
    What do you mean spend an extra 150 or more, kinect comes bundled
  5. emac4444 said:
    "I love how you say XboX One "cheaper". i dont want to start a fight here but you will spend 500$ on XboX One And Additional 150$ (or more) on Kinect."
    What do you mean spend an extra 150 or more, kinect comes bundled



    Well i forgot. But again PC pays off after some time.
  6. Best answer
    I personally would go with a PC, $500-$700 should build you a solid PC that can run anything the Xbox One can and better. The Xbox One is not built for gaming, as stated by Microsoft itself, it's more for general entertainment than gaming now, hence it's projected drop in sales and possible collapse of Microsoft.
  7. Keep in mind that you might pay for an online membership with the Xbox One. Which will add up costs per month.

    Here is a build if you plan to play at 720p:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock 880GM-LE FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($32.20 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 250GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Sentey GS-6010 ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($12.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $501.10

    If you plan for 1080p(much more recommended for just $45 more):
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock 880GM-LE FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($32.20 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 250GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Sentey GS-6010 ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($12.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $546.10

    Note: You could downgrade the CPU to save some money, but this was currently on sale for $110. You could save the price of the optical drive by using a USB flash drive to install Windows.
    If you would like to spend more, you could get a better motherboard, and more ram.
  8. When deciding on a Next-Gen console VS a PC, it comes down to how much cash you have. If you have $500, then get the console, because its no surprise that the dedicated $500 gaming device can beat a $500 PC.
    If your playing with $800 or more, then you talking performance that will outgun a console by a fair bit.

    The "PC's" that they used at E3 for the tech demo's are known as Developer Kits, for all intents and purposes they are Xbox One's in PC chassis, as Microsoft dont want the consoles aesthetics to be leaked and simply because they hadn't started any large scale production of them.
  9. here is a good read about the cost between pc and next gen consoles https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vXbaMsZeZr93-xIOz70Rd3ME_4ih75_5_UJ4abjBM6Q/edit?pli=1
  10. You can spend $600 on a PC that will play games as well as the xbox one maybe even a little better, and you can use a PC for just about anything. I have a desktop PC in every room of my house because they are so fast and so useful. The fact that you can customize a desktop the way you want and do many upgrades in the future makes it a much better piece of hardware than the xbox one, unless of course you like to play Kinect which I don't personally.
  11. manofchalk said:
    When deciding on a Next-Gen console VS a PC, it comes down to how much cash you have. If you have $500, then get the console, because its no surprise that the dedicated $500 gaming device can beat a $500 PC.
    If your playing with $800 or more, then you talking performance that will outgun a console by a fair bit.

    The "PC's" that they used at E3 for the tech demo's are known as Developer Kits, for all intents and purposes they are Xbox One's in PC chassis, as Microsoft dont want the consoles aesthetics to be leaked and simply because they hadn't started any large scale production of them.


    I'd say if you can spend $500 on a shitty console, save a couple hundred more and get a mid range gaming pc and it will easily outperform the Xbox
  12. DaronMal said:
    manofchalk said:
    When deciding on a Next-Gen console VS a PC, it comes down to how much cash you have. If you have $500, then get the console, because its no surprise that the dedicated $500 gaming device can beat a $500 PC.
    If your playing with $800 or more, then you talking performance that will outgun a console by a fair bit.

    The "PC's" that they used at E3 for the tech demo's are known as Developer Kits, for all intents and purposes they are Xbox One's in PC chassis, as Microsoft dont want the consoles aesthetics to be leaked and simply because they hadn't started any large scale production of them.


    I'd say if you can spend $500 on a shitty console, save a couple hundred more and get a mid range gaming pc and it will easily outperform the Xbox


    "Mid range" if you know how to get good price for good parts than you can build high end PC for the same money. Which is much stronger than XboX would ever be. Im not saying that you are wrong im just saying that if you know how you can get great PC for "small" amount of money. Il stick with PC because i already have TV to watch FOX and stuff like that XD And everyone is talking about PC is more expensive but thats why PC has Steam so you can buy the same game after 1 month after it got out for 10 or 20% off.
  13. No offense to your comment sir, but both of your build are weaker than the xb1. Building a pc for games stronger than the xb1 would cost More than $800. And also, as far as hardware goes it is kinda hard to compare a PC/ps4 to an xb1 because of the esram setup. Are you kidding me? "4bg ddr3/1333"
  14. proteinbar said:
    No offense to your comment sir, but both of your build are weaker than the xb1. Building a pc for games stronger than the xb1 would cost More than $800. And also, as far as hardware goes it is kinda hard to compare a PC/ps4 to an xb1 because of the esram setup. Are you kidding me? "4bg ddr3/1333"






    The xbox one is nothing special in terms of power. Here's a comparison chart of the ps4, wii u, and xbox one. The compute power is measured in teraflops, putting the graphics processing power as almost exactly the same as the radeon 7770 which is a $100 graphics card. The ps4 is better, about equal to the radeon 7850.
    http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4%20vs.%20Xbox%20One%20vs.%20Wii%20U%20Comparison%20Chart

    http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7770/pages/radeon-7770.aspx#2
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games Controller Xbox