Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Computer Running Slow [Temps in Post]

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 14, 2013 12:14:42 PM

Hi, so my computer has been running awfully slow recently and I can't figure out the problem. I built this beast around 2-3 years ago, so it might just be time for an upgrade.

Specs:
i5 2500k 3.3 GHz Not Overlocked
Gtx 560 ti SLI 1gb
8gb ram
2tb HDD
850w PSU
Stock Coolers

Temps:

a b à CPUs
September 14, 2013 12:29:35 PM

Jesus christ it is running way to goddamn hot. Clear out the dust, check the thermal paste, and DO NOT PLAY ANY GAMES UNTIL YOU MANAGE THE TEMPS. I need to stress that

I killed my laptop and my old desktop by playing games with temps that high.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2013 12:30:09 PM

looks like it needs a good cleaning to me. Or at least the new thermal paste applied. I'm surprised the PC didn't shut down with temps that high, so I'm going to assume they are bogus.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 14, 2013 12:44:09 PM

Applepienation said:
Jesus christ it is running way to goddamn hot. Clear out the dust, check the thermal paste, and DO NOT PLAY ANY GAMES UNTIL YOU MANAGE THE TEMPS. I need to stress that

I killed my laptop and my old desktop by playing games with temps that high.


I figured it was way too hot. I have a different cooler compatible with my i5 from a dead pc, its not stock, so I assume its better, should I replace the stock cooler with that?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 14, 2013 12:48:08 PM

CaelDota said:
Applepienation said:
Jesus christ it is running way to goddamn hot. Clear out the dust, check the thermal paste, and DO NOT PLAY ANY GAMES UNTIL YOU MANAGE THE TEMPS. I need to stress that

I killed my laptop and my old desktop by playing games with temps that high.


I figured it was way too hot. I have a different cooler compatible with my i5 from a dead pc, its not stock, so I assume its better, should I replace the stock cooler with that?


If it's ran fine for the past several years without dying I don't think you'll need a new cooler, just as a priority do a thorough cleaning, and check the thermal paste to see if it needs a replacement. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-pas...

The cooler could help, although it would probably depend on the model.
Share
September 14, 2013 12:59:04 PM

Applepienation said:
CaelDota said:
Applepienation said:
Jesus christ it is running way to goddamn hot. Clear out the dust, check the thermal paste, and DO NOT PLAY ANY GAMES UNTIL YOU MANAGE THE TEMPS. I need to stress that

I killed my laptop and my old desktop by playing games with temps that high.


I figured it was way too hot. I have a different cooler compatible with my i5 from a dead pc, its not stock, so I assume its better, should I replace the stock cooler with that?


If it's ran fine for the past several years without dying I don't think you'll need a new cooler, just as a priority do a thorough cleaning, and check the thermal paste to see if it needs a replacement. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-pas...

The cooler could help, although it would probably depend on the model.


It's a Hyper 212 Plus. I'm gonna go ahead and put it on, see how things go, and also clean out the dust. I'll let you know how it goes.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2013 1:03:09 PM

CaelDota said:
Applepienation said:
CaelDota said:
Applepienation said:
Jesus christ it is running way to goddamn hot. Clear out the dust, check the thermal paste, and DO NOT PLAY ANY GAMES UNTIL YOU MANAGE THE TEMPS. I need to stress that

I killed my laptop and my old desktop by playing games with temps that high.


I figured it was way too hot. I have a different cooler compatible with my i5 from a dead pc, its not stock, so I assume its better, should I replace the stock cooler with that?


If it's ran fine for the past several years without dying I don't think you'll need a new cooler, just as a priority do a thorough cleaning, and check the thermal paste to see if it needs a replacement. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-pas...

The cooler could help, although it would probably depend on the model.


It's a Hyper 212 Plus. I'm gonna go ahead and put it on, see how things go, and also clean out the dust. I'll let you know how it goes.


Hyper 212 Plus will be great. You should notice a substantial decrease in temps. Just remember to replace the thermal paste at the same time though.
m
0
l
September 14, 2013 2:37:19 PM

Applepienation said:
CaelDota said:
Applepienation said:
CaelDota said:
Applepienation said:
Jesus christ it is running way to goddamn hot. Clear out the dust, check the thermal paste, and DO NOT PLAY ANY GAMES UNTIL YOU MANAGE THE TEMPS. I need to stress that

I killed my laptop and my old desktop by playing games with temps that high.


I figured it was way too hot. I have a different cooler compatible with my i5 from a dead pc, its not stock, so I assume its better, should I replace the stock cooler with that?


If it's ran fine for the past several years without dying I don't think you'll need a new cooler, just as a priority do a thorough cleaning, and check the thermal paste to see if it needs a replacement. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-pas...

The cooler could help, although it would probably depend on the model.


It's a Hyper 212 Plus. I'm gonna go ahead and put it on, see how things go, and also clean out the dust. I'll let you know how it goes.


Hyper 212 Plus will be great. You should notice a substantial decrease in temps. Just remember to replace the thermal paste at the same time though.


Much Better. Thank you.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2013 2:53:45 PM

CaelDota said:

Much Better. Thank you.


You're very welcome. Temperatures should be lower than ever before with the new fan. Don't forget to select best answer, too.
m
0
l
!