amd drivers problem on new build.

Hey guys! Long time reader, first time posting. I'm really hoping you all can help me figure this out.

Got all the parts in for my new build on tuesday, and have spent till last night trying to get these drivers to work.

running a 1600x900 display, dvi cable running from gpu.

Did a fresh install of windows 7 ultimate on a new hdd.

installed drivers off of msi mobo disc. Everything works fine to this point.

go to amd site, download the ccc and go through the wizzard, everything seems to install fine, system reboots, and windows will not load. I go into safe mode, uninstall amd drivers and windows loads fine.

I tried installing amd drivers from website, from disc that came with the gpu, and through windows.

specs:

Msi z77a-g41
i5 3570k
c600m psu
powercolor ax7850 2gb
g-skill ripjaws x 1866mhz 2x2gb (got it for like $30)

do I just need to return the gpu? I scoured the web, found many cases of this happening, most cases were unsolved.

Thank you for your time!
15 answers Last reply
More about amd drivers problem build
  1. Your mobo disc has it own old GPU driver. it happends that you have installed already. you should remove it first before you installed new driver, using AMD CLEAN UP UTILITY.
  2. Anonymous said:
    Your mobo disc has it own old GPU driver. it happends that you have installed already. you should remove it first before you installed new driver, using AMD CLEAN UP UTILITY.


    I'm pretty sure mobo disc came with Intel vga driver, uninstall this? Just checking that we are on the same page. I'm at my wits end over here lol

    also, an update, yesterday I tried downloading drivers from powercolors website, didn't work. I got windows to launch normally with CCC installed once, with no drivers, but as soon as I downloaded drivers and rebooted, I was in the same spot.
  3. its probably going to the intel hd graphics. go into bios, set pcie slot as your primary display. I had to fiddle around a bit when i first set up my gfx cards. and make sure your plugged into the gpu's dvi output and not the motherboard.
  4. iam2thecrowe said:
    its probably going to the intel hd graphics. go into bios, set pcie slot as your primary display. I had to fiddle around a bit when i first set up my gfx cards. and make sure your plugged into the gpu's dvi output and not the motherboard.


    I have not tried this. I did look around a little in the bios for something similar, but I'll dig a little deeper when I get off.

    And I am connected through the gpu dvi. Fan spins on gpu, and I'm getting Signal through it clearly, so I initially assumed the card was good.

    Will post back soon with update.
  5. No option in bios to set primary display. Pcie is on auto, other option is to disable it.
  6. there should be an option on weather the motherboard initialises pcie slot 1 or 2 or on-board first.
  7. iam2thecrowe said:
    there should be an option on weather the motherboard initialises pcie slot 1 or 2 or on-board first.


    There is an option for Pcie latency, along with the other option I mentioned. Then under integrated graphics devices configuration, there is "initiate graphic adapter" with the options of "PEG" and "IGD". Currently set to [PEG]
    AND

    IGD multi-monitor with disabled and enabled as options, currently set to disabled.
  8. PEG is correct. when you install the drivers in windows and your screen goes blank, try put the dvi cable into the onboard video and see if there is a display. if you get a display you can then change settings in windows to use the pcie card as primary display and then swap the cable back again.
  9. The PCI-E power connectors are plugged into the GPU, correct?
  10. Ok, installed drivers, rebooted, get starting windows screen, then black screen, switched to onboard out, monitor says "no signal" and shuts off. Switch back, and black screen.
  11. smeezekitty said:
    The PCI-E power connectors are plugged into the GPU, correct?


    I double checked last night, triple checking now.
  12. Unplugged it on both ends, (psu, gpu) and plugged both back in. Same result.
  13. I suggest doing the windows install over. If it still fails, then return the GPU
  14. smeezekitty said:
    I suggest doing the windows install over. If it still fails, then return the GPU


    Not trying to sound like I doubt you, but do you mind elaborating as to why?
  15. Incase it is a messed installation. Rare but not unheard of.
    It does point towards hardware though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers New Build AMD Graphics