Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Confused between 7870 7870xt gtx 760 and 7950

Tags:
  • Gtx
  • Dual Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 15, 2013 2:09:48 PM

Hello people!
I am from india so the prices are a bit different and thats the reason i am confused if the higher tier card is worth the extra money!
I want to be able to play games at high-very high settings@1080p [Not ultra] for the next 2 years then i can downgrade to mid settings or reduce the resolution or get a new gpu/crossfire [Depends on my financial situation during that time - i.e if my dad allows :p ]
Also i am ready to overclock the cards but not to a very great extent! [It's already quite hot in india even with the 24x7 air conditioning :p ]

7870 - 242$
7870xt - 276$
Gtx 760 - 320$
7950 OC with boost - 375$

So please tell me which one is worth the extra money? [Difference between 7870 and 7950 is around 135$ which is a bankbreaking amount!]
Also I am going to have a dual monitor setup with a 1080p [Dell s2240L] and a 900p [Viewsonic VA1912wb] monitor so please can some one tell me which of the above cards will support 2 monitors of different resolutions?

My decided specs:
FX 6300
Asus m5a97 Evo R2.0
CM HAF 912 with transparent window [This is not advanced version]
Seasonic s12ii 620W
WD blue 1tb
Gskill ripjawsX 2x4GB

Please dont ask for the budget as i am looking for best bang for the buck! The money i save today will be spent for my next upgrade/build!

NOTE: NO FREE GAMES ARE AVAILABLE WITH MY LOCAL RETAILERS

More about : confused 7870 7870xt gtx 760 7950

September 15, 2013 5:23:43 PM

Wow... how come the 7950 is so damn expensive?...

At these prices, I'd get the GTX 760 hands down. Best bang for the buck for sure, and it trades blows with the 7950 Boost in many games. Plus, it's more efficient (could be important depending on how much you pay for electricity).

Plus, I'm pretty sure all cards would be able to support 2 monitors. Obviously the 760 and the 7950 can handle them better, being more powerful cards.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 15, 2013 7:44:57 PM

Johnny_C13 said:
Wow... how come the 7950 is so damn expensive?...

At these prices, I'd get the GTX 760 hands down. Best bang for the buck for sure, and it trades blows with the 7950 Boost in many games. Plus, it's more efficient (could be important depending on how much you pay for electricity).

Plus, I'm pretty sure all cards would be able to support 2 monitors. Obviously the 760 and the 7950 can handle them better, being more powerful cards.


Are you sure Bro? Theres only a 50$ difference between a 7950 and 760 but a 7950 has an extra VRAM (BF4 recommends 3gb Ram)
whereas theres an 80$ difference between.the 760 and 7870! Do you think the extra price is justified?
I dont want to regret a year down the line for not spending an extra 50$ for a 7950 (if games start utilising.more than 2.5gb VRAM)
also theres a 135$ difference between the 7870 and 7950(assuming I can oc 7870 a bit too) even if games next uear demand more than 2GB VRAM , I wont regret as I did save 135$ and also that I might run out of graphics power ebefore I could usw the VRAM!

Sorry but its my dad money and I want to be 120% sure before I spend it!
m
0
l
September 16, 2013 6:51:29 AM

The Hawk is fully customized in order to attain maximum overclocks. I wasn't suggesting the Hawk, although you can see its a great card. I just wanted to use a recent review that tested with the latest drivers and latest gaming benchmarks. TechPowerUp uses 18 gaming benchmarks, so that chart is very representative of actual relative performance.
m
0
l
September 16, 2013 7:02:22 AM

17seconds said:
The Hawk is fully customized in order to attain maximum overclocks. I wasn't suggesting the Hawk, although you can see its a great card. I just wanted to use a recent review that tested with the latest drivers and latest gaming benchmarks. TechPowerUp uses 18 gaming benchmarks, so that chart is very representative of actual relative performance.


I usually dont play online games except for dota2/CS:GO/Minecraft, but i love single player games like GTA5 , Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim , Oblivion etc
I'll also be playing Battlefield 4 but only the single player campaign! [Here in india pings are very high to US/EU and my isp gives bad routing to SEA so i am unable to play online :(  ]
How do you think the 7870 @1080p will hold up for High settings [not ultra] for the next 2years and then medium settings for another year before i upgrade my gpu?

How long will the Gtx 760 [Preferabbly Zotac or Asus] will hold up at high settings before i need to turn them down ?

m
0
l
September 16, 2013 12:27:02 PM



The XFX ATI Radeon HD 7870 DD is a good card and will take a nice OC. Mine generally runs less than 60C with the fans at 50%.

The GTX760 is a good card, too. It runs a good bit hotter than the 7870.

The differences in performance that you see between GTX760 models (and pricing!) is due to the way nVidia builds the card - the slower 760s have a complete GPC (with 2 shaders or 'SMXes') disabled, leaving 3 full 'graphics processing clusters' and 6 shaders ... while the faster GTX760 disables a single SMX in two separate GPCs, with 2 full clusters for a total of 6 shaders.

From a price/performance standpoint, they are roughly the same, and either would suit your needs.



m
0
l
September 16, 2013 1:27:24 PM

Wisecracker said:


The XFX ATI Radeon HD 7870 DD is a good card and will take a nice OC. Mine generally runs less than 60C with the fans at 50%.

The GTX760 is a good card, too. It runs a good bit hotter than the 7870.

The differences in performance that you see between GTX760 models (and pricing!) is due to the way nVidia builds the card - the slower 760s have a complete GPC (with 2 shaders or 'SMXes') disabled, leaving 3 full 'graphics processing clusters' and 6 shaders ... while the faster GTX760 disables a single SMX in two separate GPCs, with 2 full clusters for a total of 6 shaders.

From a price/performance standpoint, they are roughly the same, and either would suit your needs.




Thanks for the response!

I can get a sapphire card.for mostly 16k rs @local store so giving extra 3k doesnt make much sense?

Also the 7870 is more than a year old gpu wheres the 760 is a fairly new one! After seeing loads of benchmakrs at.tomshardware, anandtech, techpowerup I came tp the conclusion that 760 is quite better than the 7870! But I qm just not sure if its worth the 5000rs difference!

Also I didnt understand properly. What do you mean by the 'slow 760s' and the 'fast 760s' arent all 760s the same?
m
0
l
September 16, 2013 1:35:47 PM

acid1drinker said:
Johnny_C13 said:
Wow... how come the 7950 is so damn expensive?...

At these prices, I'd get the GTX 760 hands down. Best bang for the buck for sure, and it trades blows with the 7950 Boost in many games. Plus, it's more efficient (could be important depending on how much you pay for electricity).

Plus, I'm pretty sure all cards would be able to support 2 monitors. Obviously the 760 and the 7950 can handle them better, being more powerful cards.


Are you sure Bro? Theres only a 50$ difference between a 7950 and 760 but a 7950 has an extra VRAM (BF4 recommends 3gb Ram)
whereas theres an 80$ difference between.the 760 and 7870! Do you think the extra price is justified?
I dont want to regret a year down the line for not spending an extra 50$ for a 7950 (if games start utilising.more than 2.5gb VRAM)
also theres a 135$ difference between the 7870 and 7950(assuming I can oc 7870 a bit too) even if games next uear demand more than 2GB VRAM , I wont regret as I did save 135$ and also that I might run out of graphics power ebefore I could usw the VRAM!

Sorry but its my dad money and I want to be 120% sure before I spend it!


Yeah, Tom's pretty much confirmed this with testing (plus the charts that one posted here). As for the BF4 requirements, the general consensus here on these boards and around the net is that it's simply a marketing coup. AMD will be "sponsoring" the game, therefore the requirements are pushing for a 3Gb card. Only AMD has those cards by default, so it does smell fishy. But no one can be 100% sure until the game releases.

But again, if you're using all of your 7950's 3gb VRAM, it would most likely mean your playing at a resolution above what the card can realistically do at high-ultra settings. So if you're planning on gaming above 1080p (like at 4k or whatever), then save up and get a better card. But if you're gaming at 1080p, then the 760 is the best card on that list both raw performance-wise and value-wise - and look at that it's 50$ cheaper than the 7950.

EDIT: Besides, I wouldn't recommend it, but if the VRAM is really an issue for you, the 760 can be had with 4Gb for 50$ extra (well, 50 over the regular price here in North America... don't know if it's the same over in India).
m
0
l
September 16, 2013 1:41:51 PM

acid1drinker said:
Wisecracker said:


The XFX ATI Radeon HD 7870 DD is a good card and will take a nice OC. Mine generally runs less than 60C with the fans at 50%.

The GTX760 is a good card, too. It runs a good bit hotter than the 7870.

The differences in performance that you see between GTX760 models (and pricing!) is due to the way nVidia builds the card - the slower 760s have a complete GPC (with 2 shaders or 'SMXes') disabled, leaving 3 full 'graphics processing clusters' and 6 shaders ... while the faster GTX760 disables a single SMX in two separate GPCs, with 2 full clusters for a total of 6 shaders.

From a price/performance standpoint, they are roughly the same, and either would suit your needs.





I didnt understand properly. What do you mean by the 'slow 760s' and the 'fast 760s' arent all 760s the same?


No, sir.

It's reflected in their price points ... in the US the difference is $40-$50 between GTX760s, or roughly 20%. If I recall correctly -- what I saw for India the price range was Rs 22000 to Rs 28000 (and up).

I suspect the 'MSI Hawk' shown above would be an example but do not really know. It would not seem to make sense to pay 20% more (to me, anyway) for a 10% increase in performance over the 'slower' model 760.





m
0
l
September 16, 2013 1:47:49 PM

Variations in prices per manufacturers can reflect many different things:

-Better/different cooling
-Factory OC
-Better efficiency
-...Better marketing!

Unless you're ready to do serious OC (but like you said, you better have amazing cooling in India), stick with the regular versions of the brands.

Example: if you're going MSI, just get the gaming series instead of the HAWK or w/e it's called. You'll save like 60$ and the performance difference is negligible.

For a 760, I recommend EVGA, Gigabyte or MSI. Then get whichever has better pricing between the 3.
m
0
l
September 16, 2013 1:59:09 PM

Johnny_C13 said:
Variations in prices per manufacturers can reflect many different things:

-Better/different cooling
-Factory OC
-Better efficiency
-...Better marketing!

Unless you're ready to do serious OC (but like you said, you better have amazing cooling in India), stick with the regular versions of the brands.

Example: if you're going MSI, just get the gaming series instead of the HAWK or w/e it's called. You'll save like 60$ and the performance difference is negligible.

For a 760, I recommend EVGA, Gigabyte or MSI. Then get whichever has better pricing between the 3.


In India the seller/retailer is the God and customers are the slaves! at 70% of the places (but yes this tradition is slowly changing)

I dont think the MSI or the EVGA version will be avilable here! The only 2 versions avilable AFAIK are Zotac and Asus Dc2!

Also I read somewhere that the current gen gpus will become obsolete as they are based off some 28nm architecture! The next gen amd nvidia cards will ne 20nm and will be far more superior?

m
0
l
September 16, 2013 2:09:32 PM

While it's true that AMD's next gen GPUs are around the corner (there should be some sort of announcement within the next 2 weeks), they won't make any 7xx series "obsolete". A 760 will be serviceable for a fair chunk of time.

However, if you're willing to wait, maybe you would indeed be better off with the Volcanic Island GPUs (HD 9xxx). My guess is that the 9750 would be out by mid-end October, and the 9570 by mid-November. Prices? 9750: around 300-375 US$ 9570: 225-300 US$

This goes without saying, but these dates and prices are purely my PERSONAL guesses. Don't put too much weight on them, and if you need your GPU now, then go for the 760 now! In the computer world, there's always going to be something better tomorrow so at one point you have to say "YOLO!" and let go.
m
0
l
September 16, 2013 2:21:46 PM


The GTX 760 is a good card ... but it's just a 'refresh' update of the GK104 'Kepler' chips used in the 600-series.

One thing is certain --- if you can wait a month or so, prices are most likely to fall across-the-board as AMD releases the Volcanic Islands video cards - certainly in the US and likely around the world.

m
0
l
September 16, 2013 5:13:15 PM

MSRP on Volcanic Islands as best as anyone can tell:

HD 9970 ~$549
HD 9950 ~$449
HD 9870 ~$349
HD 9850 ~$249

Due out end of this month or early October.
m
0
l
September 16, 2013 7:18:27 PM

8350rocks said:
MSRP on Volcanic Islands as best as anyone can tell:

HD 9970 ~$549
HD 9950 ~$449
HD 9870 ~$349
HD 9850 ~$249

Due out end of this month or early October.

350$ is the max I can spend for a gpu atm. And prices in India dont fall quickly plus those will be around 50-100$ more expensive here
m
0
l
September 17, 2013 6:21:31 AM

The HD 9850 is supposed to be ~25% faster than the current HD 7870. That would easily put you being a little better than the GTX 760.
m
0
l
September 17, 2013 7:40:41 AM

8350rocks said:
The HD 9850 is supposed to be ~25% faster than the current HD 7870. That would easily put you being a little better than the GTX 760.


But will it be releasing in october in india also ?
m
0
l
September 17, 2013 7:43:01 AM

I doubt the 9850 will be out in October even in the States... AMD will likely be releasing the 9970 an 9950 first, then the 9870, AND then the 9850. I'm guessing November.
m
0
l
September 17, 2013 7:48:40 AM


The primary point ....

This should have quite an impact on current price points for both AMD and nVidia video cards, and the cost structure for all cards should start looking much better for the consumer in the next 30-60 days, and beyond.





m
0
l
September 17, 2013 7:51:31 AM

Wisecracker said:

The primary point ....

This should have quite an impact on current price points for both AMD and nVidia video cards, and the cost structure for all cards should start looking much better for the consumer in the next 30-60 days, and beyond.






But it will take more than 30-60days.for that impact to be felt by Indian customers!
m
0
l
September 17, 2013 11:55:33 AM

Hard to say, you would know this more than us!... but I will say this: the 7950 has already been dropping since 2 months ago - since the 760 came out. Then, it continued to plummet with news that AMD was going to announce Volcanic Island by the end of the month. Realistically, how more can it's price drop? Also, the 760 will probably drop slightly but it wouldn't be much (10-20$), and this all depend on Volcanic Islands' pricing/performances (mind you, usually AMD have better price/performance, even though the 760 was and odd ball in that regard).
m
0
l
September 17, 2013 12:50:26 PM

Johnny_C13 said:
Hard to say, you would know this more than us!... but I will say this: the 7950 has already been dropping since 2 months ago - since the 760 came out. Then, it continued to plummet with news that AMD was going to announce Volcanic Island by the end of the month. Realistically, how more can it's price drop? Also, the 760 will probably drop slightly but it wouldn't be much (10-20$), and this all depend on Volcanic Islands' pricing/performances (mind you, usually AMD have better price/performance, even though the 760 was and odd ball in that regard).


The New cards are avilable in India approximately after.1month of release date
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 7:40:59 AM

I am thinking of going with the FX 6300 + 7870 because we are on the edge of New Console cycle and a change in node architecture. I dont want to spend much now.
I think the 7870 will manage to play the games at high [not very high or ultra or maxed out] for another 1 year and then on mid for the next 6-7months after which i'll upgrade my gpu .. How is the plan? The max i could do is try and find a 7870XT [ But it's not available with the retailers atm :(  ]


EDIT: Sorry for double post didnt realise i had already posted!
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 7:55:35 AM

Unless you can find a XT that uses the Tahiti chip at the same price or slightly above the regular 7870, I'd just settle with the 7870 - especially since you're only using it for like a year.

That's an option, anyway.
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 8:03:45 AM

Johnny_C13 said:
Unless you can find a XT that uses the Tahiti chip at the same price or slightly above the regular 7870, I'd just settle with the 7870 - especially since you're only using it for like a year.

That's an option, anyway.


I am not using it for a year. I'll be using it for a year and 7months. If i get the 7870XT for more than 20$ i'd just go with the 7870
m
0
l
!