FX-8350 and Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3/UD5 Issue

BlueFalcorn

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Hi everyone, my system specs are as follows:

AMD 8350
16 GB (8x2) Corsair Vengeance Ram
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and UD5 (I have tried both and have had the same problem which will be described below)
Seasonic 660w Platinum PSU
Samsung 840 evo 250gb
Sapphire 7970
Corsair C70 case

I have been having an issue when trying to do get set up for a mild overclock on this system. When I go into the Bios settings and disable Core Performance Boost the computer does a weird on-off-on cycle every time I start it up. It does this without the system being overclocked, just with those two settings changed. After it goes on-off-on, the system functions normally and can even hold stable at 4.4 GHZ (again this problem happens regardless of the system being overclocked).

I should also note that I am getting significant voltage droop on the UD5 (AMD Overdrive auto-clocked to 4.7 on the UD3 and only 4.4 on the UD5 with the default BIOS settings). The UD3 did not require any change in voltage to achieve 4.4 ghz through changing the multiplier in the BIOS where the UD5 required a +.175 (it would sit at 1.42-43 at idle and drop to around 1.35 under load)

According to Gigabyte customer support this isn't normal, but we have been unable to come up with a solution. It has done this with both a Rev 3 UD3 and a Rev 3 UD5.

Resetting the system to default settings will make the computer turn on normally with no cycle.

Any help or insight would be appreciated on this.

Thanks.

Solution
I have heard very good things about the Sabertooth MB. So far the gigabyte is working for me, and hopefully I don't need to call support.

You may be interested in knowing that I went back through BIOS and managed to bring the 8350 all the way up to 5.2+ GHz. I didn't go any further for fear it would explode. ;-) I backed it down to 4.7 and its performing very well.

You might be able to learn something from this exercise. I found that once the CPU speed is at what you feel to be a comfortable and safe level, try increasing the bus speed. The first time I did that, the speed went immediately from ~4.7 to ~4.9. And it performed fine. I had read somewhere that increasing the bus would help with the cpu increase.

Good luck with...

BlueFalcorn

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

I updated the original post. The problem exists with only core performance boost disabled. I think you may be right about CPU Unlock.

mudretz

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Your not alone. And Given this is a recent post, maybe we'll both be getting some answers. I *did* have some good luck holding it at a bit above 4.7Ghz ... I'll have to come back to report how, BUT here's what I have:

* First off, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and using KDE as my desktop
* Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 version 3.0
* AMD FD8350 black edition
* Corsair H100i liquid cooler
* Corsair vengeance 16GB (2x8) @ 1866MHz
* Seasonic 850W 80 plus gold power supply
* Samsung 840 pro series 256GB sata 6GB/s solid state as my primary
* seagate barracuda 1TB SATA 6 GB/s 64mb cache hdd
* corsair 400R

Sound familiar??? ;-)

when setting bios, my machine also does a double or triple-take restart before making it all the way up. I try to make only one wee-tiny change at a time. Once I got it up to 4.7Ghz I was at about 1.47v and running around 45-50degrees but never above (no doubt the H100i's credit). I also tuned-up the bus and just guessing at other stuff. I'll go back to it again and report the process back to you. I'm back to reset excepting enabling the extreme memory to get the full monty on my memory at 1866. Earlier at 4.7 it was fine and no problems, I just hosed myself by try to push a little more and ended up having to do a motherboard reset with my handy-dandy paperclip.

Oh, yes you need to enable overclocking, turn off the performance boost, to get my memory rating of a full 1866 I had to set the 'extreme memory' thingy.

I also had some problems with my USB stability and found that by enabling IMMU all that went away. I read somewhere thatt IMMU should have been defaulted to 'enabled' in the factory settings.

I'll be watching ... and I'll be back

Mudretz

BlueFalcorn

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I ended up returning the Gigabyte UD5 too and went with an ASUS Sabertooth. No issues with the Sabertooth, I have a stable 4.5 ghz on the 8350.

One thing I can note is my experience with Gigabyte' customer support. At first they did not appear to understand the issue when I communicated through their online ticket system. I then called them to seek further support, which they stated they were going to set up a test system and then let me know in a day or two. The response never came and I never bothered to followup as I had returned the mobo. Because of this I can't say that I can speak well of Gigabyte's customer support.

mudretz

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I have heard very good things about the Sabertooth MB. So far the gigabyte is working for me, and hopefully I don't need to call support.

You may be interested in knowing that I went back through BIOS and managed to bring the 8350 all the way up to 5.2+ GHz. I didn't go any further for fear it would explode. ;-) I backed it down to 4.7 and its performing very well.

You might be able to learn something from this exercise. I found that once the CPU speed is at what you feel to be a comfortable and safe level, try increasing the bus speed. The first time I did that, the speed went immediately from ~4.7 to ~4.9. And it performed fine. I had read somewhere that increasing the bus would help with the cpu increase.

Good luck with your new arrangement!

Solution

mudretz

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Another note: I think the only reason the cpu could tolerate the high GHz was because I have a liquid cooled cpu (H100i). I'm not using the stock fan that came along with the cpu.