i5 3470 temp running prime95 hot??

Noctis King

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I run prime95 today for about an hour, the max temp of the i5 3470 running on stock cooler reach 80c. Is it too high for my rig? the room temperature is around 31c. Normal my cpu idle around 40-44c, and when I play game is around 55-60c. Is it normal for my cpu or i need to reseat heatsink/ upgrade to aftermarket cooler? Please help me. thanks

Solution

A genuine room temp of 31c is um, rather warm in your house!! Is that what your PC is saying or what say a desk thermometer is saying? 55-60c load for gaming is fine. 80c Prime is high but expected on stock cooler. If you're happy with your gaming temps, then you could keep it, though a cheap aftermarket cooler like a CoolerMaster 212 EVO will do just fine. If you're not overclocking (and...

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Remember you did run your CPU at 100% load for 1 hour. What is more interesting is your gaming temp it is a bit on the high side but so is the room temp try and bring it down to 20 or 25 if you can and you should see a drop in you other temperatures.

Don't let anyone fool you.

That is perfectly normal and you shouldn't fear, Intel Haswell CPUs can reach 105 celcius before shutting down. I did get the same temperatures using the stock cooler on my i5-3570k. However even after shifting to water cooling it still reaches about 60 celcius during prime 95 and is around 50 celcius while gaming. :)

BSim500

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

A genuine room temp of 31c is um, rather warm in your house!! Is that what your PC is saying or what say a desk thermometer is saying? 55-60c load for gaming is fine. 80c Prime is high but expected on stock cooler. If you're happy with your gaming temps, then you could keep it, though a cheap aftermarket cooler like a CoolerMaster 212 EVO will do just fine. If you're not overclocking (and don't want to overclock it), and you have a "Z" board, you could also undervolt your CPU slightly in your BIOS which would reduce your load temps by setting a negative VCore offset (eg, -0.05v to -0.1v).

Solution

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

As above. Though for non overclocking, you wouldnt even need to get something as expensive as that. Something like the Arctic Freezer 13 would be fine.

Noctis King

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Iam using HWMonitor CPUZ to check the temperature. the thermometer say around 31c and on the HWMonitor I guess it say 29c in TZ00? I never oc my cpu and Iam using P8h77 V asus Mobo. when i was running prime95 earlier, the package temp in HWMonitor reach 80c and that is the max temp i get during that hr. After I stop prime95, temp drop down to 50c right away.

Noctis King

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

How about Fan Deep Cool Ice Edge mini FS? Its about 6-8 usd here. Where I am at there is no newegg and the computer shop only carry this kind of cooler and the CM TX3 hyper evo (kinda exp for me now).

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah that should be fine. Its a low end cooler, but still an improvement over the stock intel cooler.