Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

i7 and CrossFire 7970's

Tags:
  • Intel i7
  • Crossfire
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 16, 2013 7:49:55 AM

I am upgrading my PC from an FX-8150 and a 990FXA-UD7 to an i7-4770K and a GA-Z87X-OC. I currently have 2 7970's in CrossFire and I was wondering what kind of performance boost I can expect with the new CPU. The cards have some OC.

System Specs:

CPU - FX-8150
MB - GA-990FXA-UD7
RAM - 16GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1600MHz
GPU - 2 x PowerColor HD7970
OS - Windows 8
GPU Driver Version - 13.10

Thanks.

More about : crossfire 7970

a c 156 à CPUs
September 16, 2013 7:58:53 AM

Depends on the game. If your CPU was bottlenecking you, then you can expect a good gain, like skyrim for example (doesnt work well on AMD) around 40+fps.

If the game wasnt CPU bottlenecked by your 8150, then not much.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2013 8:08:58 AM

He's already on 13.10, why would he "upgrade" to a previous version?
m
0
l
September 16, 2013 8:09:47 AM

RobCrezz said:
You should also update to Catalyst 13.8 beta driver as there are many improvements in crossfire setups:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7990-geforce-gt...


I'm running 13.10 at the moment. It apparently has all the improvements of 13.8 with extra improvements for Rome 2, which was the game I am hoping to get a good gain on.
m
0
l
a c 156 à CPUs
September 16, 2013 8:11:11 AM

tomthecamel2093 said:
RobCrezz said:
You should also update to Catalyst 13.8 beta driver as there are many improvements in crossfire setups:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7990-geforce-gt...


I'm running 13.10 at the moment. It apparently has all the improvements of 13.8 with extra improvements for Rome 2, which was the game I am hoping to get a good gain on.


Sorry read that as 13.1

I dont use AMD graphics cards, so not sure about what is the latest version, just remembered reading that article. :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2013 8:13:22 AM

So I didn't really answer your question before, but I read an article a while back that tested the 8350 vs 3770 with crossfire/sli and the fx did just awful. You should expect a very large fps gain in most games, unless your gpus were both maxed out. I doubt that's very often the case with your current setup though.
m
0
l
a c 156 à CPUs
September 16, 2013 8:14:09 AM

tomthecamel2093 said:
RobCrezz said:
You should also update to Catalyst 13.8 beta driver as there are many improvements in crossfire setups:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7990-geforce-gt...


I'm running 13.10 at the moment. It apparently has all the improvements of 13.8 with extra improvements for Rome 2, which was the game I am hoping to get a good gain on.


You should get a great boost on Rome 2!



Your CPU will be somewhere near the 2600k @ 4.8
m
0
l
September 16, 2013 8:17:52 AM

wanderer11 said:
So I didn't really answer your question before, but I read an article a while back that tested the 8350 vs 3770 with crossfire/sli and the fx did just awful. You should expect a very large fps gain in most games, unless your gpus were both maxed out. I doubt that's very often the case with your current setup though.


Yeah I had the AfterBurner OSD on whilst in Rome 2 and the GPU's were using around 25-30%. Never really noticed any performance issues before because the games were only utilising 1 card I suppose.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 16, 2013 8:22:09 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performanc...
have you tried OCing? after a mild OC to 4.2 GHz (to 8350 levels) you will not see much gain going to an i7 3770k.
Share
September 16, 2013 8:42:57 AM

RobCrezz said:
Au_equus said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performanc...
have you tried OCing? after a mild OC to 4.2 GHz (to 8350 levels) you will not see much gain going to an i7 3770k.


Not in Rome 2. AMD cpus do not do well in that game, even with overclocks.


Yeah I know I've already tried an OC on the CPU and it made next to no difference in Rome 2. The cards the,selves are already overclocked but the CPU is what's holding them back.

Thanks for the advice guys!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2013 9:05:30 AM

Sorry the post was a little late. If anything you could just get an 8350, whose performance is 2-3 fps below the i7 2600k. getting a new mb with an i7 3770k is going to set you back >$400 and the time it will take assembling a new PC and all other associated tasks. you can just drop in an 8350 for $200 saving you time & money and only sacrificing a few fps.
m
0
l
!