Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Blue screen of death

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 17, 2013 7:28:28 AM

Encountered this for the first time last night blue screen came up followed by a horrific noise then restarted. My computer seems to be working now alright, just wanted to know is this serious?

Would a fresh windows install help fix it?

More about : blue screen death

a b à CPUs
September 17, 2013 7:39:05 AM

moondawg009 said:
Encountered this for the first time last night blue screen came up followed by a horrific noise then restarted. My computer seems to be working now alright, just wanted to know is this serious?

Would a fresh windows install help fix it?


You're experiencing HDD failure. Try to back up your files and recover your HDD to see if it's fixes. Last time I went through that I had to replace the HDD. No info lost since you can of course clone HDD to the new HDD.
m
0
l
September 17, 2013 7:44:56 AM

There is nothing I care about enough to back up so ill just go ahead and try to fix it what do you mean when you say recover my hdd
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2013 7:47:56 AM

moondawg009 said:
There is nothing I care about enough to back up so ill just go ahead and try to fix it what do you mean when you say recover my hdd


You just said you don't care about anything. So you can just go and try re-installing a fresh copy of Windows. Installation of Widows will ask you where to install itself, you will format the HDD and then install Windows so that it starts from 0 back again.
m
0
l
a c 784 à CPUs
September 17, 2013 7:53:23 AM

BSOD isn't always HDD related. It could be ram or a bad driver. Next time it does it, try to get a shot of what the error is or write it down. My laptop was getting BSOD when I plugged my phone into the USB 3.0 port. Come to find out it was a corrupted driver.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2013 7:58:31 AM

logainofhades said:
BSOD isn't always HDD related. It could be ram or a bad driver. Next time it does it, try to get a shot of what the error is or write it down. My laptop was getting BSOD when I plugged my phone into the USB 3.0 port. Come to find out it was a corrupted driver.


Could be too as it happened with the Wireless Adapter listed on my PC info on my signature, drivers problem. But in most cases, I've seen this issue happening due to HDD failures.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 17, 2013 9:46:16 AM

Bluescreens can happen for all kinds of crazy reasons...saying it was automatically the HDD is like the doctor diagnosing you with the flu after you only told him you have a cough.

It could be the HDD, yes. But it could also be related to other hardware components or even software related. Maybe a fan gave out and the system overheated? Maybe a driver failed which had some random issue? Maybe a capacity blew? Maybe his DVD drive is a ticking time bomb? Who knows! In the past 2 months, I've had three types blue screens while upgrading my system: one because of my CPU upgrade, one from my USB Wireless adapter shorting out on its USB cable extension, and one from my graphics card involving .NET framework.

At this point, there is not much we can do for you without more information. If it happens again, try and write down the information at the bottom of the BSOD. It should be listed under the "Technical Information:" header. This should give more information to help. If you really want to know, there are PLENTY of resources on reading BSOD logs listed in Google. Don't be afraid to explore and learn on your own first.
Share
!