Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Some programs won't work after resizing an Unbuntu partition in dual boot system.

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 17, 2013 8:08:17 PM

I have a dual boot Windows 7/Unbuntu system. Windows is on a SSD, and Unbuntu is on a partition on a separate drive in my system. I recently bought a smaller SSD to place Unbuntu on. In order to do so, I needed to shrink the Unbuntu partitions to fit the smaller drive. I used Gparted and shrunk the partitions related to Unbuntu. Unbuntu booted fine afterwards; however, when I attempted to boot Windows, the screen stated that it needed to check the disk for errors and proceeded to flash a bunch of information on the screen. I cannot recall what all the info pertained to, there was a lot and it was moving fast. I do recall that it was repairing files and doing something with orphaned files. When Windows booted, some of my programs will not load. I get a message stating that the program is not compatible with this version of Windows. It appears that some of the programs are running in 32bit. I have a 64 bit system. I did back all my files up a few months ago; however I am unable to recover them. Does anybody know how I can repair those nonworking files?
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2013 8:23:35 PM

Was the second drive installed when you installed Windows 7? If two drives are present Windows will install files on the second drive during installation. Resizing the partition may have caused something to be lost. I could be wrong though. Hopefully someone with experience running a dual boot system will be able to help.
m
0
l
Anonymous
September 17, 2013 8:25:35 PM

willyj73 said:
I have a dual boot Windows 7/Unbuntu system. Windows is on a SSD, and Unbuntu is on a partition on a separate drive in my system. I recently bought a smaller SSD to place Unbuntu on. In order to do so, I needed to shrink the Unbuntu partitions to fit the smaller drive. I used Gparted and shrunk the partitions related to Unbuntu. Unbuntu booted fine afterwards; however, when I attempted to boot Windows, the screen stated that it needed to check the disk for errors and proceeded to flash a bunch of information on the screen. I cannot recall what all the info pertained to, there was a lot and it was moving fast. I do recall that it was repairing files and doing something with orphaned files. When Windows booted, some of my programs will not load. I get a message stating that the program is not compatible with this version of Windows. It appears that some of the programs are running in 32bit. I have a 64 bit system. I did back all my files up a few months ago; however I am unable to recover them. Does anybody know how I can repair those nonworking files?


Are you running Wubi? Are the programs natively 32-bit or are they running in some, strange compatibility mode? A shrinking of a partition separate from Windows shouldn't mess Windows up. The only problem is if any accidental shrinking was done TO Windows(the OS is not allowed to shrink).
m
0
l
Related resources
September 17, 2013 9:24:41 PM

I only had the SSD installed during the initial Windows installation. I attached the other drives after Windows was already installed.
m
0
l
September 17, 2013 9:35:17 PM

I'm not exactly sure what Wubi is. I had/have W7 64bit installed on the SSD. Clean install last year. About two weeks ago, I installed Unbuntu from a USB drive. I had originally used the USB drive to boot Unbuntu, and just recently installed. Everything worked. I read up on how to install. I get the screen that allows me to choose which OS to boot. Unbuntu installed itself on a separate hard drive that I was using to create system images of my Windows OS. I used Gparted, and selected the partition that had Unbuntu. I didn't touch the drive that had W7; however, I did receive three warnings from Gparted--it didn't tell me the warnings. It just said that I had three. I'm thinking that somehow, when I shrunk the partition, that it may have messed up where Windows was referencing information. I can't think of the particulars right now, but I do know that a dual boot does something with the MBR. I think it changes the boot from Windows to a boot selector in Unbuntu--something to do with preventing Windows from taking over the boot selection. I'm also thinking that Windows may have repaired all the references, and while doing so, may have changed the settings in some of the programs. Maybe there was a selection process or a reference that got copied wrong. I don't know.
m
0
l

Best solution

Anonymous
September 18, 2013 6:14:53 AM

willyj73 said:
I'm not exactly sure what Wubi is. I had/have W7 64bit installed on the SSD. Clean install last year. About two weeks ago, I installed Unbuntu from a USB drive. I had originally used the USB drive to boot Unbuntu, and just recently installed. Everything worked. I read up on how to install. I get the screen that allows me to choose which OS to boot. Unbuntu installed itself on a separate hard drive that I was using to create system images of my Windows OS. I used Gparted, and selected the partition that had Unbuntu. I didn't touch the drive that had W7; however, I did receive three warnings from Gparted--it didn't tell me the warnings. It just said that I had three. I'm thinking that somehow, when I shrunk the partition, that it may have messed up where Windows was referencing information. I can't think of the particulars right now, but I do know that a dual boot does something with the MBR. I think it changes the boot from Windows to a boot selector in Unbuntu--something to do with preventing Windows from taking over the boot selection. I'm also thinking that Windows may have repaired all the references, and while doing so, may have changed the settings in some of the programs. Maybe there was a selection process or a reference that got copied wrong. I don't know.


Do you know the scope of the program errors? If yes, is it small enough or practical enough to just reinstall the programs? If not, I would suggest a system restore. Gparted shouldn't be changing the boot files or taking boot control away from Windows. Even if that were the case, it shouldn't be affected normal programs like Skype or Google Chrome. Wubi is a Windows Ubuntu Installer, btw. It is basically Ubuntu but is tied to Windows in a few convenient ways.
Share
September 18, 2013 8:12:08 AM

I checked most of the programs. It seems as if it only affected a few...some of which I was able to reinstall or repair. Very strange.
m
0
l
Anonymous
September 18, 2013 9:06:58 AM

willyj73 said:
I checked most of the programs. It seems as if it only affected a few...some of which I was able to reinstall or repair. Very strange.


Perhaps some of the files in Ubuntu had references or connections to some Window's programs or vice versa. But they're working now, correct?
m
0
l
September 22, 2013 12:34:06 AM

Anonymous said:
willyj73 said:
I checked most of the programs. It seems as if it only affected a few...some of which I was able to reinstall or repair. Very strange.


Perhaps some of the files in Ubuntu had references or connections to some Window's programs or vice versa. But they're working now, correct?


I just had to reinstall the programs and they are working correctly.
m
0
l
!