Solved

Asus Z87 Pro - System freezing

Hi, I joined this community in hopes someone could shed some insight on my computer freeze issue.

It seems to occur when left idle for awhile. I've noticed it seems to happen when left on for about a day. I get no warnings, my mouse, keyboard and intuos tablet stop working and my computer just freezes. I have to hardboot to get it back up.I have updated to the latest BIOS version, this issue was happening even before this update, and re-installed video drivers.

Also I don't put my computer to sleep or hibernate, I have these options disabled. And have never had my PC freeze during gaming. It will only occur when I leave my computer on, like overnight.

Could there possibly be a setting somewhere saying when the PC is left idle for awhile it drops volts or something to that effect causing a power issue? A BIOS setting perhaps? Nothing I see in Windows would cause that behavior as far as I can see.

I noticed there are plenty of options for power control in my BIOS, but I'm unsure which could cause this behavior.

Running Speedfan on my PC I get fairly low temps with light use:
GPU: 34c
HD1: 39c (HDD)
HD0: 31c (SSD)
Temp1: 28c
Temp2: 30c

CPU temps hang between 15c - 18c
Even when gaming things run smooth and temps don't go up to the point of concern.

System Specs:
Windows 8 64-bit
ASUS Z87-PRO w/ 1405 BIOS
Corsair Vengeance 8gb x 4 @1600 via XMP Profile
EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling GeForce GTX 770 2GB
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Western Digital 2TB @7200rpm 64mb
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus z87 pro system freezing
  1. did you try to re install windows? (clean installation of OS might fix this problem)
  2. So many things could be the cause but to me it sounds more like a software issue.
    Did this occur since you built your PC or did it just recently start?

    Also, I just remembered I´ve had a similar issue with my old rig a few years back. Took me quite some time to figure out it were actually the RAM settings in the BIOS. To be more specific, the DRAM voltage was set a bit too high. After I lowered it slightly (which is counterintuitive) everything worked fine.
  3. What's the part number of the memory kit you are using?
  4. I haven't tried to re-installed Windows.

    The computer is only 2 months old. And I can't say for certain I was having this issue then.

    I'm using these Corsair Vengeance Model: CML16GX3M2A1600C10
    I remember running memtest on them back in July and had no errors. Just to rule them out I ran memtest again with the XMP profile and it threw 1 error within the first 20 mins. I then disabled the XMP profile and ran the test again at the memory stock. I woke this morning to my computer led front light flashing, pressed the button and was at my Windows lock screen. So I don't know the test results from that test. I know I checked it around the 30 min mark and had no errors. I re-ran the test this morning and plan on checking it at lunch time.
  5. fullofclovers said:
    I haven't tried to re-installed Windows.

    The computer is only 2 months old. And I can't say for certain I was having this issue then.

    I'm using these Corsair Vengeance Model: CML16GX3M2A1600C10
    I remember running memtest on them back in July and had no errors. Just to rule them out I ran memtest again with the XMP profile and it threw 1 error within the first 20 mins. I then disabled the XMP profile and ran the test again at the memory stock. I woke this morning to my computer led front light flashing, pressed the button and was at my Windows lock screen. So I don't know the test results from that test. I know I checked it around the 30 min mark and had no errors. I re-ran the test this morning and plan on checking it at lunch time.


    it happened to my newly build pc before, it was always get into freeze. i thought it was Power issue, then i asked the shop owner about that. and he told me that maybe its a windows issue not the psu.
    so i tried to reinstall OS, and it works. i have no problem anymore about freezing. i let my pc on for 1 week without turning it off. until now my pc still ok.
  6. Checked memtest at lunch, no errors at stock memory clock. It was running for 3.5 hours and completed one full test. I'm letting it run until I get home tonight.

    Going to try and apply the XMP profile again later and run it through memtest. Although this is now a different issue and I'm still unsure what could cause my freezing.
  7. So I set my memory back to stock speeds and have been testing them for the past 14 hours with no errors through memtest.

    I'm not sure now if this is a memory issue,PSU, or my motherboard.

    The memory is advertised to run at 1600. And I'm using my BIOS setting memory profile to run them at the recommend speeds.

    I'm now figuring this could be the root of my freezing issue? Should I test each stick individually at the XMP profile settings to rule out a bad stick/port?
  8. Try raising the VCCSA voltage to 1.12
  9. fullofclovers said:
    So I set my memory back to stock speeds and have been testing them for the past 14 hours with no errors through memtest.

    I'm not sure now if this is a memory issue,PSU, or my motherboard.

    The memory is advertised to run at 1600. And I'm using my BIOS setting memory profile to run them at the recommend speeds.

    I'm now figuring this could be the root of my freezing issue? Should I test each stick individually at the XMP profile settings to rule out a bad stick/port?



    Your logic flows well apart from the fact that the part number you gave me appears to be for a 2X8GB kit, not 4X8GB. If you really have combined two similar kits, chances are you're right on the edge of stability with XMP. Why? Because the XMP contains settings that are specified for operation on a single kit only. A lot of users think that memory will run at its stated speed when more than one kit is combined, often this leads to issues.

    Capacitive loading of the bus can affect the ability of a kit to reach a given speed - Memtest passing or not.

    There is a reason why memory vendors bin kits at various densities. If the ability of memory to run at a given speed was unconditional, then all memory vendors would need to do is bin a single module and sell us all multiples of that module without performing any further binning.

    Always purchase a single memory kit rated at the speed and density you wish to run.

    -Raja
  10. My apologizes for the confusion. I meant to say I use 4 Corsair sticks each at 8GB for a total of 32GB. Anyways, all 4 sticks passed memtest for 24 hours. I then tried running Windows Memory Diagnostic tool on Extended Test and it's stuck at 21 %. I looked around and noticed this is a common issue but am unsure how to go about making sure my memory is ok. I'd like to be able to run it at the recommended OC speeds, but given what you say about the XMP profile I'm unsure how I should OC them. If I do it manually I would put them at the same timings the profile sets. So? I see with this memory others have just had to change timing settings and it works just fine. Not sure why I'm having such problems. Any other suggestions?

    @ Tradesman1 - Changing it to that volt would fix my freeze issue?
  11. Best answer
    Possibly, also check in the advanced timings and see what the tRFC is at - it may be low prob want around 220-240 area
  12. Tradesman1 said:
    Possibly, also check in the advanced timings and see what the tRFC is at - it may be low prob want around 220-240 area


    I'll check to see what I have set against what you are recommending and report back. Thanks for the guidance!
  13. Let us know
  14. Well the kit is 2X8GB, which means you have purchased two kits and combined them correct?

    The XMP is for the speed a signle kit is guaranteed to hit on a capable CPU. With combined kits, you may not be able to hit these speeds easily. Might need to offset CAS and tRCD by +1 to start with. I always recommend going that route rather than over-volting the memory modules.

    If you add +1 to CAS and tRCD, check that tRAS is equal or greater that CAS+tRCD+tRTP.

    -Raja
  15. do you have a pci express wireless card? was have a similar problem and finally narrowed it down to pci express wireless card in one of the pcix16 slots, moved it to the second pcix1 slot and now it works perfectly
  16. I ended up taking one of the kits out leaving 16 Gb installed and setting them to the XMP profile. So lesson learned when it comes to purchasing memory. Going to give it another day on before I consider the freezing fixed. Thanks all for the input!
  17. fullofclovers said:
    Hi, I joined this community in hopes someone could shed some insight on my computer freeze issue.

    It seems to occur when left idle for awhile. I've noticed it seems to happen when left on for about a day. I get no warnings, my mouse, keyboard and intuos tablet stop working and my computer just freezes. I have to hardboot to get it back up.I have updated to the latest BIOS version, this issue was happening even before this update, and re-installed video drivers.

    Also I don't put my computer to sleep or hibernate, I have these options disabled. And have never had my PC freeze during gaming. It will only occur when I leave my computer on, like overnight.

    Could there possibly be a setting somewhere saying when the PC is left idle for awhile it drops volts or something to that effect causing a power issue? A BIOS setting perhaps? Nothing I see in Windows would cause that behavior as far as I can see.

    I noticed there are plenty of options for power control in my BIOS, but I'm unsure which could cause this behavior.

    Running Speedfan on my PC I get fairly low temps with light use:
    GPU: 34c
    HD1: 39c (HDD)
    HD0: 31c (SSD)
    Temp1: 28c
    Temp2: 30c

    CPU temps hang between 15c - 18c
    Even when gaming things run smooth and temps don't go up to the point of concern.

    System Specs:
    Windows 8 64-bit
    ASUS Z87-PRO w/ 1405 BIOS
    Corsair Vengeance 8gb x 4 @1600 via XMP Profile
    EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling GeForce GTX 770 2GB
    SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Western Digital 2TB @7200rpm 64mb
    CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91


    Did you solve it?
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Motherboards