Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Gaming On Ultra Settings, Most Consistent FPS

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2013 1:55:37 AM

Hello Toms Hardware!

This is my first post to the forum. I have been strolling through the forums looking for information. While the question/services of the tomsHardware Forum pro's may have been discussed. I feel that my question is a slight bit more personalized. Alright, so here it is. Let me just lay it on you gents/gals! I am looking to build a rig that will not only smoke wow on Ultra settings with the new MOP expansion but also be able to play other current titles on Ultra settings without even flinching. I have been playing around on new egg creating wish lists but I feel that I am personally not pro enough to cut corners where they need to be cut. Not able to give my wallet a break. I would personally like to buy a gtx780 or a titan for this rig to be centered around and likely an I5 or an i7 haswell chip. However, I am open to suggestions. Suggestions like crossfire, debates between the i5 and i7 as far as future proofing my machine to last! I want to say that my budget is about 3 grand. That's right, about 3 grand. However, If i can cut a fraction of that cost and still gain the constant performance that I desire. I am all in. Completely and totally all in. Also the monitor that I will be using is my 1080p lcd sony bravia 55 inch flat screen. Like I said above, completely and totally open to suggestions on rigs. If you would like to build multiple rig examples for me. I would be very pleased. Also, the more people that join in on this to share their input the better. Much appreciated. Thanks in advance Tomshardware pc pro forum gurus! -fjw


Edit: To those that may have stumbled upon this post through google or other search engines. Below this post are some VERY good builds within my budget and even 1 that is half my budget that will literally smoke just about anything you put in it's peace pipe. Very fortunate to have the toms hardware forum available to me. Very fortunate that the gentleman that respondd, have so and addressed my situation in a timely manner. So, to the viewer that may be looking at this. The viewer that is looking for answers. Your answers are below. 1. You have the complete budget of 3k being utilized to the maximum. 2. A budget that's cut in half that is still extremely effective. 3. Opinions from the tomshardware, pcguru's. These guys know their stuff and will not lead you wrong. As hey have not led me wrong. So soak it in and read. P.S. I'm not sure Redspring approves of me writing this, but if you're looking for a budget computer on a smaller scale than my price line. You may want to create a tomshardware account or sign in with facebook and send him a message. He is a very helpful member of the forum. As the other gentleman, but he gives that vibe that he can cut the corners the right way for a valued performance computer. Scroll down til you see him if that's what you're looking for!..-fjw

More about : gaming ultra settings consistent fps

September 18, 2013 2:04:14 AM

Well, you don't need a Titan for a single 1080p screen :) 

A GTX770 would be fine, 16GB RAM if you are future-proofing (you don't need that much now) and maybe a couple of SSDs in JBoD or RAID0 (though do look up and understand the negatives for this configuration!) to get a large partition. i7 if you can afford it, but you are well into the law of diminishing returns I would suspect.

There are more options to spend big if you are multi-monitor, but at 1080p it quickly becomes bling for the sake of bling. By the time you need something more powerful than a 770, the 970 (made up model as an example) will be out - presumably quieter, less power-hungry and faster than a Titan...
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 2:11:23 AM

Hey kyzarvs! I want to say thank you for your post =). How do you feel about crossfire with lower priced cards vs the gtx 700 series? Also, I only plan on using the single 1080 monitor. Would you mind putting a rig together for me, my budget is 3k as I stated in my title post. However, if you were able to cut corners and produce a cheaper rig than my budget that serves my needs. Sir, I would be exceptionally greatful!
m
0
l
Related resources
September 18, 2013 2:12:11 AM

Wanted to try this first time :)  What do you think of this build? :D 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($334.96 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.57 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card ($1074.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case ($299.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($142.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG BH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($107.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2962.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-18 05:11 EDT-0400)

In my mind this is already top tier.

If you want to cut on price without sacrificing performance, I believe you can go with an i5 haswell (would perform just as well in games as the i7).
And maybe get a cheaper MOBO (100 dollars less)
The PSU is important, but i think with this setup if you dont plan to SLI you can go 750w instead of 850. The SSD you can go 128gb instead of 256 (for OS and important applications). I think all in all you can save maybe around 300-350 USD while dialing down a notch from what I posted..

(Bare in mind I am no expert, just wanted to give some input! :D )

EDIT: also the case, you can get one for 150$ less, but that's a lovely case :p 
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 2:28:32 AM

Xavier, I have a VERY similar build to that on one of my new egg wish lists. Dif SSD,case,PSU, cooler. haha, that's top tier to say the least! I very much appreciate your additional comments on money saved and tbh, if you're gonna go all in on a budget why save the 350 when you're already there RIGHT! Thanks again brother very much appreciated. I still am interested in seeing what other idea's tomshardware has to offer. Keep the comments and builds coming gents! So far Xavier's build may get my money. The build that gets my money however will be chosen as the solution! =)
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 2:34:25 AM

Drop the Titan from that build, add a second SSD and a GTX770 instead.

I've had too many problems with AMD gfx cards in the past to really recommend them (though I totally admit I'm in the minority and millions of people love 'em) and SLi / Crossfire now limits your expansion later on. Something like a 770 now (a Titan for 1080p is pi$$ing money away for no benefit other than going "I've got a Titan") and another in SLi as a mid-term upgrade later on?
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 2:37:47 AM

I would replace that titan with 2x gtx 770s. Cheaper and WAYYYYY FASTER!

You don't even need the extreme maximus board. A maximus 6 hero would do just fine for the gtx 770's in sli. Save the cash and buy a happy ending from a massage parlor.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 18, 2013 2:38:20 AM

Hey Frank!

Xavier put up a very powerful build. However, I think you can save some money like kyzarvs suggested. A Titan is very powerful, but there are more affordable options that would give you the same performance in your setup. I feel this would be a very future proof build for you. The GTX 770 I put in there can easily run anything at max settings at 1080p. In 2 or so years from now, when you feel your system might start aging, just put in a more powerful GPU that will undoubtedly have been released by then, or just put in a second 770. Money saved, no performance lost :) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($135.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($398.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($16.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1478.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-18 05:37 EDT-0400)

The case and SSDs/HDDs are just personal preference of course :) 
Same goes for the 16GB of RAM. 8GB would also be plenty, 16GB is just future proofing.
Share
September 18, 2013 2:44:16 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($334.96 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($148.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($649.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($649.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($197.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2643.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-18 05:44 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 2:46:10 AM

You know Ky, i was looking at statistics on the 770 and TBH, you are right about them. The other cards out perform but I wouldn't say that price vs performance is really worth the extra cash when I take a look at it. You're right, I am probably the type of person that would buy a titan just for the sake of saying that I have one. Especially to the three people that I know who are pc gamers. The rig that I'm running right now is a salvaged XPS that I received from a relative and put some care into in order to bring it back to life. I of late have been a PS3 gamer, when I'm not majority of the time distracted by hulu plus or netflix. The rig that i'm running now is outdated and in no shape to play any current titles. While the pentium 4 that I have maybe be able to run wow with it's 2.8ghz I know my graphics card will not be able to handle it as I'm swapping between my onboard gpu and msi gpu, due to msi gpu failure. I kind of feel in a way that my eyes are bigger than my stomach with my budget. I do know that I would like atleast a 700 series GPU, they are so much more advanced than what I have been exposed to. So do you gentleman think my eyes are bigger than my stomach in reference to my budget or should I keep swinging the bat looking for that home run?
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 2:48:12 AM

frankly i think one 7970 will work well for 1080p! the titan is cool as is a 770, but the 3% loss you get on the 7970 from the 770 is worth the $100 dollars you'll save. and i'm assuming 60hz-120hz on the tv?
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 2:49:26 AM

kyzarvs said:
Drop the Titan from that build, add a second SSD and a GTX770 instead.

I've had too many problems with AMD gfx cards in the past to really recommend them (though I totally admit I'm in the minority and millions of people love 'em) and SLi / Crossfire now limits your expansion later on. Something like a 770 now (a Titan for 1080p is pi$$ing money away for no benefit other than going "I've got a Titan") and another in SLi as a mid-term upgrade later on?


Opinions differ on this subject, but I personally prefer single card than SLI/Crossfire. And yes always Nvidea cards! :D  That's why I put the titan in there.

You and others might say that the titan and the other components in there are overkill for what OP needs, but I am a fan of overkill whenever it's available :) 

I would have done this build, but unfortunately where I live, this would have cost me 2939.04 EUROS = 3925 USD!

The build in my signature I am receiving on friday (Cant wait to get my hands on those parts :D ) and that cost me 1700 EUROS = 2270 USD already..:( 
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 2:52:14 AM

@Redspring, You come off as very seasoned and seeing your advice + seeing that your build would cost half of what my designated budget was put a smile on my face! You are alright in my book. That was very nice of you, thanks!

@Jinay,I really like that case you put on parts list. Preeety cool! =)
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:00:30 AM

@xavier, I too am a fan of overkill! haha, whenever i build a list I say... i'm only gonna spend this much.. That's all I'm going to spend. THEN! i just say the heck with that and put the most expensive of everything on the list and try to buy that! I do realize that it's fun and wishful. In another way I realize that I may be overdoing it and in need of a second opinion. PS congratulations on your purchase! Is it due to shipping for outrageous price?
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:04:44 AM

@misfit, the tv is 60hz. Do you have anymore opinions about the TV? As far as If I should use it vs maybe using my old 24" monitor? Personally, I would REALLY REALLY want to use the TV. I am pretty set on it, but if it's a no no or partial no no I'm all for convincing. Thanks! =)
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:05:44 AM

Frank Walker said:
@xavier, I too am a fan of overkill! haha, whenever i build a list I say... i'm only gonna spend this much.. That's all I'm going to spend. THEN! i just say the heck with that and put the most expensive of everything on the list and try to buy that! I do realize that it's fun and wishful. In another way I realize that I may be overdoing it and in need of a second opinion. PS congratulations on your purchase! Is it due to shipping for outrageous price?


Nah, it's European + Greece prices. taxes, etc... The titan alone is close to 1050 euros here, i.e. 1400 USD, so 40% more.

With peripherals that I ordered as well, a blackwidow razer keyboard, imperator razer mouse, 23in LG display, OS, I already passed your budget of 3000$ :p , I ended up spending 2330 Euros = 3100 USD hehehe..
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:08:06 AM

But I think it's worth it. I want to play all AAA titles on close to ultra, and World of Darkness (whenever it will friggin get released:p ) on Ultra as well, blade & soul, etc..
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:12:13 AM

@redspring again! My friend, I have been looking over your build here and I tell you. I honestly think that this is the one that is going to work for me! I actually really like that case as well! So far I'm liking your build the most in the sense of value and quality combined.

@TomshardwarePCguru's How do you guys feel about Redsprings build? I very much like it and would like to see some opinions! Thanks guys =)
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:17:20 AM

Frank Walker said:
@redspring again! My friend, I have been looking over your build here and I tell you. I honestly think that this is the one that is going to work for me! I actually really like that case as well! So far I'm liking your build the most in the sense of value and quality combined.

@TomshardwarePCguru's How do you guys feel about Redsprings build? I very much like it and would like to see some opinions! Thanks guys =)


I like sleeker designs (its a matter of personal taste) Check my case out, the Corsair 500r carbide series.
It's a midi tower just like redspring's. Comes in white with black accents, or black w/ black accents.

Saw a few reviews of it on youtube, loved it at first sight.

(In my personal opinion, redspring's case looks too bulky/asymmetrical, but hey, to each his own opinion ey? :D )
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:19:33 AM

No problem, I'm glad to help! :)  I prefer the more edged look of my case, although I have to say that the black version jinayhvora's Phantom case looks really good as well!
I just took a look at Xavier's 500r, it has a very nice, sleek look to it. So many good cases to choose from! :p 
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:24:01 AM

@Xavier you really know how to live the luxury pc gamer life! I am considering buying the Razer gear myself. I hear nothing but the best no matter what corner I turn or who I talk to. It just always keeps coming up! Greece? That is awesome, I take it that is where you live. It's on my bucket list, I still have a long ways to go hopefully, knock on wood! haha

World of Darkness- OMG SO COOL! Xavier, thank you thank you. I have just watched the cinematic trailer and I must say. OMG SO COOL! =)
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:28:03 AM

Frank Walker said:
@Xavier you really know how to live the luxury pc gamer life! I am considering buying the Razer gear myself. I hear nothing but the best no matter what corner I turn or who I talk to. It just always keeps coming up! Greece? That is awesome, I take it that is where you live. It's on my bucket list, I still have a long ways to go hopefully, knock on wood! haha

World of Darkness- OMG SO COOL! Xavier, thank you thank you. I have just watched the cinematic trailer and I must say. OMG SO COOL! =)


You ever played Vampire: The masquerade Bloodlines?
This game will be an MMORPG based on that!

It is going to be... ridiculously awesome.. its being created by CCP games (the dudes who made EVE ONLINE) so can expect quality, and top notch economic/social system... I cant wait.,..
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:34:27 AM

I find that I spend much too many hours looking up cases online. So far, Redspring, I very much do like your build. I feel like that might be the one that I choose. You know, unless somebody comes up with something crazy around your price with the performance that your build offers.=) Which ever I like best, I will buy parts exactly matching the pcguru's part choices in appreciation to their contribution. Case and all! =)
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:40:25 AM

@Xavier, I believe that I have played that title in the past. I just am not sure, I do not think I delved much into it. Not due to it's level of intrigue but because I had something going on in my life at the time that prevented me from gaming. I have not pc gamed since I think 2010, so there are many titles that have came across to me that I am much interested in. I have a few friends that play MOP for WoW. So far looks preety cool, they seem to have a great time and I am very much so looking forward to trying it out! I just find so many cool games I have not seen before that have me bouncing everywhere! lol, I can't make up my mind =)
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:46:20 AM

Frank Walker said:
@Xavier, I believe that I have played that title in the past. I just am not sure, I do not think I delved much into it. Not due to it's level of intrigue but because I had something going on in my life at the time that prevented me from gaming. I have not pc gamed since I think 2010, so there are many titles that have came across to me that I am much interested in. I have a few friends that play MOP for WoW. So far looks preety cool, they seem to have a great time and I am very much so looking forward to trying it out! I just find so many cool games I have not seen before that have me bouncing everywhere! lol, I can't make up my mind =)


AION man.. play AION (it's free to play now)

If you live in Europe, come to Perento Server, ill hook you up!
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 3:51:01 AM

@Xavier, AION OH HAHAHA! You know that I heard so many great things about that as well. Being able to fly, lots of action packed mmo goodness! I actually happen to live in the US. Free to play sounds so cool though. I have to find out where I'm going to get the time to play all these games lol. I def want to look into AION, I had forgot about that but I was very very interested in it when I seen the video on youtube some time ago! You're so cool Xavier haha, i feel like i do when somebody suggests an amazing TV show to me I have never watched that has 5 seasons =)
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 4:22:40 AM

Frank Walker said:
@Xavier, AION OH HAHAHA! You know that I heard so many great things about that as well. Being able to fly, lots of action packed mmo goodness! I actually happen to live in the US. Free to play sounds so cool though. I have to find out where I'm going to get the time to play all these games lol. I def want to look into AION, I had forgot about that but I was very very interested in it when I seen the video on youtube some time ago! You're so cool Xavier haha, i feel like i do when somebody suggests an amazing TV show to me I have never watched that has 5 seasons =)


You can still play on european servers from the US :p  ping might go to 100-120, but no worries:p 

About shows, FRINGE (awesome show), Game of Thrones, Firefly, etc... I'm guessing you've seen them all hahahah
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 5:01:29 AM

@Xavier, You know.. you are very good. Game of Thrones is my all time favorite show! My girlfriend had no idea why, but I just chalk it down to when it comes to good taste. The only time she had some is when she chose me! hahaha. Firefly, geez. I really wish they would of given that show a chance. Very very good show. Fringe is also a VERY good show. My brother was obsessed at one point. Me too actually lol. Won't Deny!

Tell you what, I shall Try Aion. I will keep contact with you friend. We will be angelic saviors of the good or the demolishers haha, either way works fine! I very much like the team vs team or character vs character type games. So, we shall see what the future holds! =)
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 5:37:47 AM

Frank Walker said:
@Xavier, You know.. you are very good. Game of Thrones is my all time favorite show! My girlfriend had no idea why, but I just chalk it down to when it comes to good taste. The only time she had some is when she chose me! hahaha. Firefly, geez. I really wish they would of given that show a chance. Very very good show. Fringe is also a VERY good show. My brother was obsessed at one point. Me too actually lol. Won't Deny!

Tell you what, I shall Try Aion. I will keep contact with you friend. We will be angelic saviors of the good or the demolishers haha, either way works fine! I very much like the team vs team or character vs character type games. So, we shall see what the future holds! =)


OK, got a few minutes free time (At work) so going off on a tangent here, if you've been out of the gaming scene for a few years, here's what you need to catch up on:

Single player games:
Mass Effect 1,2,3 (although you might get angry at the direction they took in number 3 - i was furious lol)
Far Cry series
Crysis series
Dead Space 1,2,3
Prototype 1,2
Assassin's Creed series
Deus Ex Human revolution
Bioshock series
Metro: Last Night
Amnesia the dark descent (make sure you turn off the lights, and put headphones, and get ready to cry like a little girl hehehehehehe)
Fallout 3, and New Vegas
Mirror's Edge
Lost Planet 3

Multiplayer:
BF3
CODMW
AION
Guild Wars 2

And soon to come single&multiplayer:
Archeage
World of Darkness
Blade & Soul
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
Battlefield 4
Assassin's Creed IV


Happy Gaming!
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 5:49:44 AM

@Xavier, out of all those games. The one that have played and was addicted to for the week leading up til I beat it was crysis 3, which I had rented via gamefly for the ps3. Thank you a ton, you're going to put this rig to work for me even before it's been created. Appreciate you Xav! You have a good day @ work! If you want to, add me to facebook.com/refugeelcci. Take care Xav!
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 6:01:59 AM

ameek said:
I would replace that titan with 2x gtx 770s. Cheaper and WAYYYYY FASTER!

You don't even need the extreme maximus board. A maximus 6 hero would do just fine for the gtx 770's in sli. Save the cash and buy a happy ending from a massage parlor.



lol! that just made me laugh out loud very LOUD haha. I like happy endings =)
m
0
l
September 19, 2013 2:32:13 AM

Frank Walker said:
@misfit, the tv is 60hz. Do you have anymore opinions about the TV? As far as If I should use it vs maybe using my old 24" monitor? Personally, I would REALLY REALLY want to use the TV. I am pretty set on it, but if it's a no no or partial no no I'm all for convincing. Thanks! =)


you know i personally use a 40" tv and it's great for me, it certainly isn't as crisp as a good monitor but if you want an all purpose solution and already have it than i think it's a perfect option. 60fps is great too, while 120fps is super rad i don't think you need it all that much. save the bills and use it to water cool! ; p
m
0
l