HD 5850 Getting High temps

TeodoI7

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
My old and trusty HD 5850 is getting really high temps. On auto just while browsing im getting up to hold out for the new 8xxx realease even when just playing dota 2 it crashes too. Is there anyway to get the temps down or is the fan failing?

Solution
With my HD 5870, I also started experiencing higher temps than normal with it. Turned out the thermal compound had wore out over the years. I cleaned off the old stuff and applied new compound. Dropped my temps back to a normal range.

That being said, blow out the dust, make sure the fan is still functioning, and try re-applying new thermal paste.

Good luck.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
With my HD 5870, I also started experiencing higher temps than normal with it. Turned out the thermal compound had wore out over the years. I cleaned off the old stuff and applied new compound. Dropped my temps back to a normal range.

That being said, blow out the dust, make sure the fan is still functioning, and try re-applying new thermal paste.

Good luck.

Solution
Yeah , it ought to be dried up TIM. Change it with one of those -

Recommended Thermal Compounds/TIMs -
Antec Formula 6
Antec Formula 7
Arctic MX-2
Arctic MX-4
Arctic Silver 5
Cooler Master ThermalFusion 400
Gelid GC-Extreme
Prolimatech PK-3
Tuniq TX-4

And yeah , to make the best out of the new TIM , clean it up with some ArctiClean which will remove all sorts of leftovers from the TIM ( especially if its dried ) And yeah , be sure to Clean the fan as much as possible too. Yet if you have high temps ( which probably shouldn't ) get an aftermarket GPU cooler of your choice.