FX 8350, does it worth to oc ?

alejob54

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I'm a programmer, and a month ago I build a computer with a FX8350 cpu, 8gb ram and hd 7770 gpu. Compiling code is really fast, it also runs Planet Side 2 very smooth. So I would like to know if I OC the cpu, ¿am I going to notice a great boost on those different areas ? I mean, coding and gaming.

I am asking this question because
I'm about to change the stock cpu fan cooler, because it is really loud, so I would buy any liquid cooling system and I would like to know if it worth to OC that cpu, in order to buy a good cooling system like a corsair H100i or just an H55 quiet edition, just to keep my cpu cooled enough in case it does not worth at all.

Thankyou very much

Solution
Well, depending on what case you have, there might be better options than either the h100i, h80, or h55. Overclocking the fx8350 is a fairly simple process for a mild to medium overclock, and it isn't a bad idea if you are already going to be purchasing the aftermarket cooler. As such, you can basically get more performance for *free*.

We need to know your case, so we know what type of air and water coolers will fit.

MysteryINC

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Get a H80, I'm using it and I was able to OC my FX-8350 to 4.5GHz so it's worth it if you want/are able to spend that bit extra to get a decent watercooling/air cooling solution.

Edit: Any form of overclocking will be seen in gaming and compiling. Most games don't use 8 cores YET but if you have more you have the quarantee that it will last you longer than a standard 4 core CPU.

Well, depending on what case you have, there might be better options than either the h100i, h80, or h55. Overclocking the fx8350 is a fairly simple process for a mild to medium overclock, and it isn't a bad idea if you are already going to be purchasing the aftermarket cooler. As such, you can basically get more performance for *free*.

We need to know your case, so we know what type of air and water coolers will fit.

Solution

alejob54

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Thermaltake chaser A31

alejob54

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

This is the entire list.
CPU AMD FX 8350
Gpu Sapphire HD 7770 1GB DDR 5
Ram: 1 x 8 GB @ 1600Mhz Corsair vengeance
Board: MSI 970a-g43
HDD: Seagate 750 Gb Sata II
PSU thermaltake tr2 600w
Case: thermaltajke chaser A 31
case fans: 1 front intake, 2 rear exhaust

But the main reason to buy the after market cooling solution (air/water) relies on how much difference will be, between the stock performance and overclocked performance.