5770 gets higher FPS in games than a gtx 570?

3usrnam3

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
To start I have two graphics cards, an AMD 5770 and a gtx 570 HD. For some reason the 5770 runs games (battlefield 3 in particular) at higher FPS than the 570, which makes no sense to me... With the 5770 I average 50-60 fps but only 20-30 with the 570. Anyone else ever had this problem? Im thinking maybe its my motherboard not supplying enough power to the 570? not sure. Here are my PC specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600 non-overclocked, msi p35 platinum motherboard with 4gb ddr2. 600w power supply (plenty of power.) I run games on a 1600x900 screen in windowed mode as well as low settings.

Solution

sometimes it depends on the game. when i upgrade my older GTS250 to GTX460 i got worse performance than my GTS250 with the same setting in batman arkham asylum. usually i was able to get 55-60 fps easily with my GTS250 but the frame rates ranging from 40-60 fps with my new GTX460. other games like crysis got performance improvement just as it should. overclocking my processor solve the problem. so yes...

Kamen_BG

Distinguished

Bottlenecks don't work like that.
In the worst case scenario, both cards will perform exactly on par.

In my opinion, you should do a clean install.
Reinstall windows and all of your drivers and updates.
Then, if the issue persists, check the health of your power supply.

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Start simple are you making sure you take out all of the Amd drivers if you aren't already using one there is driver sweeper software that will find those registry entries that sometimes get missed by common uninstalling, I've seen those Cpu's take way more Gpu than you've got without bottlenecking so it's way early to call that.

sometimes it depends on the game. when i upgrade my older GTS250 to GTX460 i got worse performance than my GTS250 with the same setting in batman arkham asylum. usually i was able to get 55-60 fps easily with my GTS250 but the frame rates ranging from 40-60 fps with my new GTX460. other games like crysis got performance improvement just as it should. overclocking my processor solve the problem. so yes from my personal experience faster gpu can perform much worse than slower gpu if the cpu cannot keep up with the gpu

Solution

TRENDING THREADS