Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrading CPU for Dell Precision 390

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 20, 2013 1:29:50 AM

Sorry for another thread on upgrading CPU for Dell Precision 390. My current CPU is E6400, and my understanding is that I cannot overclock it. The Dell BIOS does not support this, and I have tried various tools such as Clockgen with no success.

So I am looking to upgrade the CPU. From what I found online, the quad cores that might be compatible are Q6600, Q6700, QX6700, and QX6800. Could anybody confirm that Dell Precision 390 can use these quad cores? I seem to recall seeing someone saying that there are secretly two kinds of Precision 390, and only one of them recognizes quad cores.

Also, is my understanding correct that the only difference between Q6700 and QX6700 is that the QX has unlocked multiplier, and therefore I might want to go for the QX6700 for its overclocking potential (since the Dell BIOS does not support it), e.g. by using RMClock? How much overclocking should I generally expect from a QX6700 using the unlocked multiplier?

Thanks!

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a c 92 à CPUs
September 20, 2013 1:37:53 AM
Share

I dont see how having a unlocked multiplyer will help you, when your motherboard cant overclock.

My advise is to give up, and buy a new motherboard and CPU.


Also, You didnt need to make 3 threads about it, 1 was enough.
September 20, 2013 1:57:31 AM

Thanks for the response. It appears that an unlocked multiplier enables software overclocking e.g. by ThrottleStop:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aft...

I imagined that RMClock might work too but had not tried.

Sorry about the duplicate posts -- I do not know why but the forum is seemingly having server problems. I tried deleting the other two, but it lead to a 404 error. I will try again later.

RobCrezz said:
I dont see how having a unlocked multiplyer will help you, when your motherboard cant overclock.

My advise is to give up, and buy a new motherboard and CPU.


Also, You didnt need to make 3 threads about it, 1 was enough.


Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a c 92 à CPUs
September 20, 2013 2:09:59 AM

azurewelkin said:
Thanks for the response. It appears that an unlocked multiplier enables software overclocking e.g. by ThrottleStop:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aft...

I imagined that RMClock might work too but had not tried.

Sorry about the duplicate posts -- I do not know why but the forum is seemingly having server problems. I tried deleting the other two, but it lead to a 404 error. I will try again later.

RobCrezz said:
I dont see how having a unlocked multiplyer will help you, when your motherboard cant overclock.

My advise is to give up, and buy a new motherboard and CPU.


Also, You didnt need to make 3 threads about it, 1 was enough.




Ok, may be possible then. But still, its paying out money for a really old platform now.
September 20, 2013 2:24:09 AM

Is it very complicated to upgrade the motherboard so that I could use i5 or even i7? There was some discussion about possible fitting issue for Precision 390

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1709850/mother...

"Because the Precision 390 has the BTX format case and MB, so you need buy the exact same MB to fit into the case."

Is this true?

RobCrezz said:
azurewelkin said:
Thanks for the response. It appears that an unlocked multiplier enables software overclocking e.g. by ThrottleStop:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aft...

I imagined that RMClock might work too but had not tried.

Sorry about the duplicate posts -- I do not know why but the forum is seemingly having server problems. I tried deleting the other two, but it lead to a 404 error. I will try again later.

RobCrezz said:
I dont see how having a unlocked multiplyer will help you, when your motherboard cant overclock.

My advise is to give up, and buy a new motherboard and CPU.


Also, You didnt need to make 3 threads about it, 1 was enough.




Ok, may be possible then. But still, its paying out money for a really old platform now.


a b K Overclocking
a c 92 à CPUs
September 20, 2013 2:35:25 AM

azurewelkin said:
Is it very complicated to upgrade the motherboard so that I could use i5 or even i7? There was some discussion about possible fitting issue for Precision 390

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1709850/mother...

"Because the Precision 390 has the BTX format case and MB, so you need buy the exact same MB to fit into the case."

Is this true?

RobCrezz said:
azurewelkin said:
Thanks for the response. It appears that an unlocked multiplier enables software overclocking e.g. by ThrottleStop:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aft...

I imagined that RMClock might work too but had not tried.

Sorry about the duplicate posts -- I do not know why but the forum is seemingly having server problems. I tried deleting the other two, but it lead to a 404 error. I will try again later.

RobCrezz said:
I dont see how having a unlocked multiplyer will help you, when your motherboard cant overclock.

My advise is to give up, and buy a new motherboard and CPU.


Also, You didnt need to make 3 threads about it, 1 was enough.




Ok, may be possible then. But still, its paying out money for a really old platform now.




Yes the BTX is dead standard.

You are better off get enough money together and get a new cpu/mobo/ram/psu/case

Whats the primary use of the computer? do you play games?
September 20, 2013 2:46:35 AM

RobCrezz said:
azurewelkin said:
Is it very complicated to upgrade the motherboard so that I could use i5 or even i7? There was some discussion about possible fitting issue for Precision 390

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1709850/mother...

"Because the Precision 390 has the BTX format case and MB, so you need buy the exact same MB to fit into the case."

Is this true?

RobCrezz said:
azurewelkin said:
Thanks for the response. It appears that an unlocked multiplier enables software overclocking e.g. by ThrottleStop:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aft...

I imagined that RMClock might work too but had not tried.

Sorry about the duplicate posts -- I do not know why but the forum is seemingly having server problems. I tried deleting the other two, but it lead to a 404 error. I will try again later.

RobCrezz said:
I dont see how having a unlocked multiplyer will help you, when your motherboard cant overclock.

My advise is to give up, and buy a new motherboard and CPU.


Also, You didnt need to make 3 threads about it, 1 was enough.




Ok, may be possible then. But still, its paying out money for a really old platform now.




Yes the BTX is dead standard.

You are better off get enough money together and get a new cpu/mobo/ram/psu/case

Whats the primary use of the computer? do you play games?


Some games such as D3 but CPU seems not the bottleneck for the games I play. I also use this computer for some scientific computing and coding (Mathematica, etc.), so here a better CPU would help. Maybe as you said I should just get everything new. The problem is that I might get lazy and not do anything. How fast is the i5 or i7 CPU that you think has the best price/performance ratio, compared with my current E6400 at a miserable 2.1GHz? If a CPU-intensive computational code requires 10 seconds on E6400, what is the performance of the best (in price/performance ratio) i5 or i7 CPU?
a b K Overclocking
a c 92 à CPUs
September 20, 2013 2:59:45 AM

azurewelkin said:
RobCrezz said:
azurewelkin said:
Is it very complicated to upgrade the motherboard so that I could use i5 or even i7? There was some discussion about possible fitting issue for Precision 390

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1709850/mother...

"Because the Precision 390 has the BTX format case and MB, so you need buy the exact same MB to fit into the case."

Is this true?

RobCrezz said:
azurewelkin said:
Thanks for the response. It appears that an unlocked multiplier enables software overclocking e.g. by ThrottleStop:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aft...

I imagined that RMClock might work too but had not tried.

Sorry about the duplicate posts -- I do not know why but the forum is seemingly having server problems. I tried deleting the other two, but it lead to a 404 error. I will try again later.

RobCrezz said:
I dont see how having a unlocked multiplyer will help you, when your motherboard cant overclock.

My advise is to give up, and buy a new motherboard and CPU.


Also, You didnt need to make 3 threads about it, 1 was enough.




Ok, may be possible then. But still, its paying out money for a really old platform now.




Yes the BTX is dead standard.

You are better off get enough money together and get a new cpu/mobo/ram/psu/case

Whats the primary use of the computer? do you play games?


Some games such as D3 but CPU seems not the bottleneck for the games I play. I also use this computer for some scientific computing and coding (Mathematica, etc.), so here a better CPU would help. Maybe as you said I should just get everything new. The problem is that I might get lazy and not do anything. How fast is the i5 or i7 CPU that you think has the best price/performance ratio, compared with my current E6400 at a miserable 2.1GHz? If a CPU-intensive computational code requires 10 seconds on E6400, what is the performance of the best (in price/performance ratio) i5 or i7 CPU?


The performance of the current gen i5 and i7 is much higher in single threaded applications, and even more so in multi threaded, due to the higher performance and double the cores. If you went for the i7 4770 which has HT and can do 8 threads, it should in theory cut the compute task time to around 1-2 seconds (from 10 on the E6400).

The AMD FX8350 would be worth considering also, as it is very cheap for a 8 core cpu and is very good task like that (if they can use all 8 cores), however its single thread performance is below Intels chips.
September 20, 2013 12:20:15 PM

RobCrezz said:

The performance of the current gen i5 and i7 is much higher in single threaded applications, and even more so in multi threaded, due to the higher performance and double the cores. If you went for the i7 4770 which has HT and can do 8 threads, it should in theory cut the compute task time to around 1-2 seconds (from 10 on the E6400).

The AMD FX8350 would be worth considering also, as it is very cheap for a 8 core cpu and is very good task like that (if they can use all 8 cores), however its single thread performance is below Intels chips.


By "1-2 seconds" did you have a single-threaded CPU-intensive application in mind or multi-threaded (using all cores)?

a b K Overclocking
a c 92 à CPUs
September 22, 2013 12:18:45 PM

azurewelkin said:
RobCrezz said:

The performance of the current gen i5 and i7 is much higher in single threaded applications, and even more so in multi threaded, due to the higher performance and double the cores. If you went for the i7 4770 which has HT and can do 8 threads, it should in theory cut the compute task time to around 1-2 seconds (from 10 on the E6400).

The AMD FX8350 would be worth considering also, as it is very cheap for a 8 core cpu and is very good task like that (if they can use all 8 cores), however its single thread performance is below Intels chips.


By "1-2 seconds" did you have a single-threaded CPU-intensive application in mind or multi-threaded (using all cores)?



My guess was based on multithreaded. Your C2D can do 2 threads at a time, and the 4770 can do 8 threads (4Cores Hyper threading). The 8350 can also do 8 threads but single threaded performance isnt as good as Intel.

If the program is only single threaded, then a Haswell i3.i5/i7 would be roughly 2-3x faster than the c2d.
!