840 Pro ssd can't overprovision in magician software

NickyB

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Do any of you guys here overprovision your ssd? Whenever I try to do it through the magician software it always tells me that it can't because my drive is being used by another process. Which leads me to ask do I need to use the magician software to do this? Can I just use disk management and just shrink my ssd 10%? Or does the magician software only perform it's magic when it does the overprovision?

Solution
I have mine overprovisioned by ~20GB.

Shrinking the partition is all that this software will do, so yes, you can do it through disk management as well. However, you may need to do it when the drive is not currently running as the OS drive.

randomizer

Champion
I have mine overprovisioned by ~20GB.

Shrinking the partition is all that this software will do, so yes, you can do it through disk management as well. However, you may need to do it when the drive is not currently running as the OS drive.

Solution

NickyB

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008

So all I need to do is create a partition in disk management and the drive would use it automatically? I don't need to set the OP in magician software afterwards? I created a partition but how do I tell the drive to use it for OProvisioning?

randomizer

Champion
You shouldn't create a partition, just leave the space as unallocated. This way the OS won't touch it and the SSD controller will know that it has free reign over it. Overprovisioning has nothing to do with the OS. All SSDs have a small amount of extra capacity beyond what is reported to the OS used by the controller for wear levelling and to replace dead blocks. All you are doing is giving the controller more room to move data around and ensure even wear and reduced free space fragmentation.

In reality there's little to no difference between shrinking the partition and simply not filling it up with data. Doing so just prevents you filling it up by accident.

+1

I just right-click on my drive letter in Windows Explorer and select Properties.
I then just look at the pie chart to see how full my drive is. When it's more than 3/4 full I then just start moving stuff to my storage drive, or start uninstalling unused/unnecessary programs.