700-800$ gaming PC budget build (for skyrim)

Jeremy Zutz

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: A month

Budget Range: 700-800$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, Watching videos on websites (eg youtube)
Are you buying a monitor: no

Parts to Upgrade: None because its a compter build :p

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: bestbuy

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Parts Preferences: None really. Just getting the best gaming PC that this budget can buy

Overclocking: meh if it improves performance for cheap, sure.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: I dont remember all i know is that it is a Asus and it is reletivly big. (my PC broke and im using a laptop atm)

Additional Comments: I want this to run skyrim on high or ultra graphics 30+ frames (most likely just high)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I cant game with my current computers, and i really want a PC and not a console.

Solution
With the build I listed for you I would say you could hit ultra pretty handily. The game actually isn't all that demanding. It only becomes demanding once you add mods to the equation in which case you would want something like a AMD 7950/70 or a Nvidia 660Ti.670, 760, 770
This could very well be a option for you that could fit the bill. Also, if you can get bestbuy to price match any of the items I guess that works as well. However, I know that best buy isn't a company with a ton of variety component wise.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($195.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($114.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($159.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.46 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $796.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-20 15:54 EDT-0400)

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013

If it's just for Skyrim then he would want to go with an intel build, as they easily beat AMD in Skyrim

My FX-8350 build does just fine with Skyrim. It has no problems what so ever keeping up with my i5
3570K rig. Fitted with a good GPU a FX-8350 will do great. Out of the over 300 games I have there are
none of them that have problems on my FX rigs. These kind of comments was the reason I built my i5
3570K rig just to find out that it performs no better than the two FX rigs I already had!

The rig that bigshootr8 suggested would work great for your gaming needs with out a doubt.

Performance between these 2 in Skyrim is neck-in-neck now, especially in Win8 and even in Win7 with updated drivers/optimizations.

The challenge is your budget. It's going to be a tight fit building a good i5 system for $700-800 that can beat the value of an FX 8350 system in the same price envelope. It will be close, but do-able.

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013

I haven't seen anything that suggests they are close now. And as you can tell by my build I'm clearly not an intel fanboy or anything, just stating what the information I know to be.

Personally I would prefer a intel system certainly. In single threaded applications intel comes on top most of the time. And their memory controller is a bit more mature then AMD's. However that being said for the value and the budget the OP has. I would say the 8350 is a good option. Plus the boards are cheaper and you tend to get a little more with them. If he desired to overclock as well he could go out and purchase a aftermarket cooler.

Jeremy Zutz

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Well im looking for skyrim mostly, id also like to play like D3, darksouls, and league of legends. I just said skyrim because its the game ill be playing the most and its the most "high end" out of the games i want to play.

With the build I listed for you I would say you could hit ultra pretty handily. The game actually isn't all that demanding. It only becomes demanding once you add mods to the equation in which case you would want something like a AMD 7950/70 or a Nvidia 660Ti.670, 760, 770

Solution
I would say that for me personally I couldn't go with a stock cooling solution that I would purchase aftermarket cooler because the noise is less the cooling is better and overall a better insurance policy for a longer lasting machine. But if your funds are tight it can wait till you can afford one.

wirwizard

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
This my current skyrim bf4 build, runs them both maxed out at 1080p runs at about 50fps with enbs, static mesh improvement, and lighting mods in skyrim and at 60fps in bf4. It is dual graphics compatible so you could potentially buy another GPU in the future and run it at 90+ frames. It already has a good enough power supply and mother board to support dual graphics and and 32Gb of ram. Streams videos like ain't no body's business and gets about 2 second loading screens in skyrim. You will also be getting 16gb of ram with this build. All for under 820$. Doesn't include operating system though. I'm sure u could compensate by getting rid of the ssd if u really wanted to. Check It out: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/wirwizard/saved/4d7Z