FX-8320 Reasonable core temp. High socket temp.

G

I recently switched over to an 8320, really enjoying it so far. I would normally have overclocked it by now, except for these strange temps. I recall that the max safe temp for the socket was 70C and the cores 63C or so. I am using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and this is clearly keeping the cores cool but the socket is almost reaching 70C at stock speeds!

This is after about 30 mins of Prime95.

I have the NZXT Lexa S with the top fan recently moved forward to test it as an intake for the CPU. I don't really see how I am supposed to keep the socket cool, there is plently of air flow.

Any help would really be appreciated, should I be concerned about these temps? What can I do about them?

clevermonkey

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I was running the stock cooler for a while and it ran hot while in the BIOS, but cooled down to about 30 degrees after booting into my OS and under a light load. I just switched to the Thermaltake Frio CLP0575. While the cooler doesn't have lot of frills, it is rated to 220w, is pretty quiet to about 70% of full speed, and I just checked my temp and it is sitting pretty at 11 degrees (my case is near an ac vent). Away from the vent it was running about 25 degrees. I have 5 case fans running on low as well.

I ran prime95 for 24 hours solid (100% load constantly) and with the fans on low it was at 48-49 degrees (checked numerous times for accuracy), well within reason considering ambient room temp is ~24 degrees. When I kicked the fan up to high for half an hour the temp dropped to ~40 degrees.

I did a small +7.5% OC ran prime95 for half an hour with fan at low and the temp pegged to 55 degrees and held there.

Do you have push pull on your case fans? Especially nice if you can have the CPU fan(s) blowing straight to the exhaust fan. Try to make sure you are not to far out of balance with pressure. I have always found that positive pressure is best, if there is an imbalance.

G

May I ask which program you are using for temperatures? Is it measuring the junction or core temp? Because my concern is only about my junction temps, while I have nice core temps around 46C (after stress testing).

Despite you being close to AC, I find 11 degrees hard to believe as the junction temps and suspect it's the calculated core temperature values rather than the measured junction thermistor temperature on the motherboard.

I have the cpu exhaust directed out the back of the case with the case exhaust fan and have a positive pressure set up with a fan on the top intaking to the front of the heatsink. and another intaking at the front bottom and one for the GPU in the side panel.

It's as if the CPU heatsink is doing it's job of cooling the CPU correctly while the motherboard is getting too hot around the junction.

clevermonkey

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Sorry for the delayed response. Even before you posted, I was really wondering about the 11 degree output. I use hardinfo for my sensor readings and made sure that sensor-detect was run properly. I had a bad sensor on my mb. I returned the mb and got a new one, but have not had the time to rerun the tests. I will update you as soon as I do. Grrr.
Sorry for the bad info. All things considered I still like the heatsink I purchased, just need to make sure it is doing the job. I actually like the fact that it doesnt have built in leds as I am running el wire and plan for a "breathing" effect set of leds for custom lighting, tired of the same old, same old red or blue. I have a army green case and am running my lights in orange, never claimed to be normal.
My board was and will be again the MSI 970-G43. In the past I have used wall computers (caseless) and they have always been the easiest to clean, coolest and quietest. Takes some creativity and custom circuits for them too be optimized for looks, but if you don't move your computer often they work very well.
Again, sorry for the faulty results.