Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which CPU for Photoshop use?

Tags:
  • Photoshop
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 20, 2013 9:53:44 PM

Hi u all,been so long since i visited the forums.K back to the point.I am planning on building a new rig for Professional Photo Editing uses.Sole use is for Photoshop CS6 along with some small plugins like color efex pro...Lightroom maybe also used.I read many benchmarks,reports and articles and i can't still decide which cpu to decide on a budget.Rig's total cost is 600$.So which one should i choose?

More about : cpu photoshop

Best solution

a c 104 À AMD
a c 130 å Intel
a c 219 à CPUs
September 20, 2013 10:02:31 PM

For photoshop you really should get an i7 but with a $600 budget you won't be able to do that so you may want to go with an AMD processor. The FX -8320 or FX -8150 would be good choices. Both come in under $175 and that makes the $600 budget a lot more doable.
Share
September 20, 2013 10:24:52 PM

inzone said:
For photoshop you really should get an i7 but with a $600 budget you won't be able to do that so you may want to go with an AMD processor. The FX -8320 or FX -8150 would be good choices. Both come in under $175 and that makes the $600 budget a lot more doable.


Is AMD of any good...cause the FX8320 in many benchmarks comes under intel i3 4430...i'm from india here FX8230 costs 205$ ,i5 4670K-275$ and i5 4430 - 218$
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 104 À AMD
a c 130 å Intel
a c 219 à CPUs
September 20, 2013 10:31:45 PM

The benchmarks that your looking at are with Photoshop ?
m
0
l
September 20, 2013 10:34:27 PM

ya...just consider i5 4670k and fx8350...amd uses double the electricity doesn't
that mean in a month's or years time the cost difference is capped :p 
m
0
l
a c 104 À AMD
a c 130 å Intel
a c 219 à CPUs
September 21, 2013 10:33:42 AM

I guess you have to take everything into consideration if your looking at how much power a CPU will draw, how long each day will the computer be on and what does electricity cost where you live ?
Unless you can find a benchmark someplace that would give you those figures the only way to tell is use the computer 24/7 for a month and then don't use it at all for a month and then you would see what the cast is. However that's an impractical way to do it but you do need some figures to somehow determine what the cast difference will be.
m
0
l
September 22, 2013 8:28:24 AM

inzone said:
I guess you have to take everything into consideration if your looking at how much power a CPU will draw, how long each day will the computer be on and what does electricity cost where you live ?
Unless you can find a benchmark someplace that would give you those figures the only way to tell is use the computer 24/7 for a month and then don't use it at all for a month and then you would see what the cast is. However that's an impractical way to do it but you do need some figures to somehow determine what the cast difference will be.


k,sry don't mind that....anyway one question which is better i5 3570K or FX 8350?
m
0
l
a c 104 À AMD
a c 130 å Intel
a c 219 à CPUs
September 22, 2013 11:12:31 AM

Between those two it's a toss up with the 3570k coming out on top in some benchmarks and the FX-8350 coming out on top in other benchmarks and it comes down to which do you prefer Intel or AMD. These two are very close in performance. The i5-3570k might be a bit better in games and the FX-8350 might be better in Photoshop.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 210 à CPUs
September 22, 2013 4:14:17 PM

chrissmartin said:
ya...just consider i5 4670k and fx8350...amd uses double the electricity doesn't
that mean in a month's or years time the cost difference is capped :p 


No, actually, the difference comes out to about $3-4 per year if your CPU runs at 100% for 6 hours per day, 365 days/year. So it takes you about 7-10 years to recoup initial cost differences depending on the price difference in your region. How long do you keep your PC for professional use? 7-10 Years? Considerably less/more?

For photoshop, the newest adobe products have actually been "optimized" for AMD in many ways. I would expect that would yield good results for your tasks.

m
0
l
!