The laptop referenced in the thread for a laptop for CS student under 400 has been discontinued and can be found for $450 before tax. Is there a comparable laptop for under 400?
1. What is your budget?
$400 after tax. $450 for the right combination of benefits/features.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Large enough to do web design work at a cafe, some light gaming. I guess around 15 inches.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I want to be able to do light gaming and more importantly, web design work. Portability is preferred so I can work at the library/cafes after work.
5. How much battery life do you need?
I can bring my charger anywhere with me.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Dota 2, Civ V. Medium is fine.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Web design, word processing, perhaps photoshop.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
320GB? Will sacrifice for RAM/graphics/processor.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM optional if I have to sacrifice for RAM/graphics/processor.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I want whatever works. Many friends have had bad experiences with HP laptops, so I prefer to stay away from those.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I was going to purchase the ASUS K55N-DB81 off amazon yesterday http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-K55N-DB81-15-6-Inch-Laptop-B..., where it was $379.99 new from a decent seller. Then when I looked this morning the seller disappeared and the laptop price jumped to $444.99. It's out of my price range. Is there another laptop out there that has a similar combination of price/features for under $420 after tax?
What I liked:
AMD A-8 Quad core (for web design and programming)
AMD Radeon HD 7640G (bonus for gaming)
I have to say that I have never met a user of a < $500 laptop that hasn't told me that they regretted the purchase. Understanding that budget is very tight....if at all possible to increase budget by postponing purchase I would do so.